Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:13 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125555 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

Breeders - This was pretty enjoyable for the bad acting, pretty girls, and 80's vibe. The way they shot the ending was noteable for how stupid and bad it was.The girls are pretty I wonder how in the world this guy got them to be in the movie, much less frolic around in the ooze pool. If I had to guess I'd say cocaine. 4/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

Breeders - This was pretty enjoyable for the bad acting, pretty girls, and 80's vibe. The way they shot the ending was noteable for how stupid and bad it was.The girls are pretty I wonder how in the world this guy got them to be in the movie, much less frolic around in the ooze pool. If I had to guess I'd say cocaine. 4/5

I can confirm that cocaine is the best way to get pretty girls to frolic in the ooze pool.

"Cocaine-Fueled Frolic in the Ooze Pool" would make a great title for a bad movie.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

44 movies claws! Unbelievable! I have been slacking and need do some serious catching up before this month is over.

Movie # 30
The Collector (2009)
Intended as a saw prequel this will certainly please fans of that series. This time our jigsaw character (the collector) is much spryer and has set up a house with traps on every surface. Pretty bad choice for a house to rob as our down on our luck protagonist finds out. Some really great traps here and some really crazy violence. Even animals don't get off easy here. Fun if your down for some really insane gore and set pieces.
Small | Large

Movie # 31
Friday the 13th 7: The New Blood (1988)
It's the same old Jason stuff here with the sole innovation of having the final girl have psychokinetic abilities. She's pretty good as the disturbed girl dealing with the death of her father while dealing with an exploitative doctor. Other than that this movie is pretty much pure crap when either Tina or Jason is not on screen. You can really feel the MPAA cuts on this one as the kill scenes (which are some of the coolest of the series) are harshly edited making for a frustrating viewing experience.
Small | Large

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »

Last night I watched a low budget urban cannibal gore-fest called THE BUTCHER BOYS.
It was one of those movies that left you asking "What the HECK did I just watch??"

Four teens in a car are leaving a fancy restaurant and get in a drag race with two punks after the daredevil girl keys their car.  The punks run over a dog owned by four Hispanic gang types all wearing black.  The sinister gang figures kill both the guys that hit their dog, then take out after the teens.  Turns out they are supplying human meat to some upscale restaurant that caters to an elite clientele of cannibals, but the gang types have gotten addicted to human flesh.  Lots of gratuitous cannibalism (including boobie munching!), gore, profanity, and torture, not a lot by way of actual storyline or plot.  There's even some "let's eat the exposed brain while the victim is still alive" ACTION a la HANNIBAL.  The final girl escapes with the aid of a couple of Mexicans as the demented cannibal pursuers attack a gang of animal rights protestors outside the restaurant . . . I TOLD you it made no sense!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »

Movie # 32
Jason X
Decided I might as well watch all of the F13 movies that I've yet to watch. It is inevitable that any horror franchise will end up in space at some point and F13 is no exception. Frozen in time for hundreds of year Jason is reawakened by a stupid scientist looking to make some money off him (!?). The people along for the ride make the crew of Prometheus look like a bunch of Einsteins. Even though we are in space the creators basically dragged along the typical stereotypes you would see in any F13 film. There are a couple exceptions namely in cyborg lady, a Tony Todd impersonator and the final girl who was also frozen in time with Jason.

This one plays it mostly for laughs and clearly realizes that the audience wants to just see Jason go crazy. Thankfully at this point the MPAA was much looser with what could be shown and so we don't have to deal with cut to hell kill scenes. I'll give this entry credit with trying to do something other than "Jason kill kids at camp crystal lake" and for keeping the pace going.
Small | Large

Movie # 33
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI
This is the last film of the original F13 series that I had yet to see. This like Jason X is going for comedy at least half of the time but in this one I think it works way better. Whereas in 7 and X I pretty much hated everybody I thought the characters here were much less annoying here than in most of the other films. Very nicely shot as well and looks pretty great in hd.
Small | Large

claws
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:21 AM »

10.27.13 (48)

Embassy/Charter Video Classics on DVD

Psychic Killer (1975) (DVD)

Watchability: 4/5
Energy drain: 1/5

Man wrongly accused of murder seeks revenge on those who he thinks are responsible for the death of his mother - with the help of an amulet and a book about voodoo his spirit is able to leave his body and go on a killing spree. This is much better than its reputation. Strong performances by the investigating Detective and the female psychiatrist, and the sizzling dance scene with the hot nurse was just amazingly done.

The Manitou (1978) (DVD)

Watchability: 4.5/5
Energy drain: 0.5/5

Evil Manitou comes back to life by reborn-ing himself in form of a rapidly growing tumor on the neck of a young woman. Charming and fun cheese with a ridiculous but intriguing plot, solid cast and one hell of a showdown. It would be interesting to see a remake of this.

The Velvet Vampire (1971) (DVD)

Watchability: 3.5/5
Energy drain: 1.5/5

Erotic Arthouse Horror about a female Vampire seducing her house guests in the desert. I was sort of blown away on my first viewing but it lost some of its appeal on my second viewing last night. Its still entertaining with an interesting take on vampirism.

The Evil (1978) (DVD)

A group of people fixing up old mansion are suddenly trapped by Evil lurking in the cellar. Nice take on the haunted house genre with nods to The Legend of Hell House. The hand/saw scene remains quite effective! 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »

The Fear (1995) - some people go to a cabin in the woods for a group therapy session.  There's a wooden mannequin there named Morty who they tell all their fears to.  Soon enough Morty is appearing in various places and scaring people - is someone moving him around for a joke...or is Morty alive?  This wasn't as bad as I remembered it being - probably because I remembered it being about a 1/5.  Almost all the characters are really unlikable (except for the cute Swedish girl, I liked her a lot  Smile ).  I'll give them credit for at least trying something different with the quasi-slasher story being based around each person's fears.  The execution left a lot to be desired though.  It did build a bit of suspense and tension in the second half, when it wasn't getting bogged down with some backstory stuff complete with flashbacks that we'd already seen earlier in the movie.  Lookingup  2.5/5.

Evidence (2012) - two couples go on a camping trip.  One guy is making a documentary about the other guy, so that gives them an excuse to film the whole thing on a handheld camera.  The characters at this point are quite likable and it gets a bit suspenseful as they see a strange animal and start hearing scary noises form the woods.  But then the guy who's filming it all turns into a gigantic a-hole.  He insists there's nothing to worry about (it's a found footage movie; how's that for nothing to worry about?), and when one guy disappears he insists that he just went back to the city.  Yeah, he walked there.  Right.  I was very seriously thinking about turning it off at this point because this guy is absolutely intolerable.  Thankfully he gets eviscerated a short time later  Thumbup  So the creepy critters attack the RV and the whole second half of the movie is the two girls running around terrified using the handheld camera for a light source.  I kind of liked the plot - it's one huge WTF? that leaves the audience to come up with their own explanation for what they were seeing.  It's very tense and action-packed, if you don't mind watching the whole thing through a camera that's constantly being jostled around, is constantly shorting out and freezing up, with a light that's constantly turning off and on.  I don't know too many people who don't mind that lol.  I thought it was all exciting enough to make it worth the effort though.  Netting the good against the bad I'll give it a 3.5/5.

Started watching another movie called The Tunnel (2011) which is really good so far.  I'll report back tomorrow on that.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2013, 07:09:26 AM »

Yay, glad you enjoyed Evidence. I really liked it  Smile
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »

Yay, glad you enjoyed Evidence. I really liked it  Smile

I'd never even heard of it before but I was watching some movie trailer on Youtube and it came up as a suggested video.  Glad I found it!

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »

Movie # 34
Crystal Lake Memories (2013)
I watched a large portion of the mammoth documentary. If you've seen other documentaries about the F13 series you will notice some overlap here. But as a whole this is an absolutely incredible undertaking going into detail about the making and reception of each of these films. It's a lot of fun seeing who aged well and who didn't and we get to meet all the major players. Still got hours of stuff to get through but I would say this is a must seek out for any fans of these movies.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »

I still can't believe Jack gave Marina Monster 3.5.  The idea of that...
claws
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »

10.28.13 (50)

Unrated Haunted House Double Feature
Asian Ghost Kids vs. Spanish Ghost Kids

The Grudge: Unrated (2004) (Blu-ray)

American family moves into haunted house in Japan and become victims of a deadly curse. One of the rare occasions where the movie actually benefits from the unrated version. Creepy and scary, when jittery pale Asian ghost kids were all the rage. 4/5

Darkness: Unrated (2002) (Blu-ray)

American family moves into haunted house in Spain and become victims of a deadly occult ritual. Again, this movie works best in its unedited form. Lots of well-placed jump scares and atmosphere. Spanish ghost kids kind of pale in comparison to Asian ghost kids, but the creepiness factor increases by not showing too much of them. 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:42 AM »

I still can't believe Jack gave Marina Monster 3.5.  The idea of that...

That was because it had a lot of women who, while not actually good looking, were oddly sexy.  That's how my 100% completely objective rating system works  TeddyR

Dracula: The Vampire & the Voivode (2008) - documentary about Bram Stoker's Dracula and the real life Vlad the impaler.  Had a lot of info about Stoker's life - he was an invalid child an unable to walk until he was 7.  He grew up at the height of the Irish potato famine, which apparently didn't have much effect on his family as he went to college and got a job (working in a castle) as a court clerk.  He never actually went to Transylvania but used travel journals and other books to research the area.  He chose Transylvania as a location because at the time nobody in England had heard of it, so it was suitably remote and mysterious, yet it was part of Europe so close enough for people to be worried about these vampires.  As far as Vlad, they cover his wars against the Ottoman empire pretty well, and make it clear that although he impaled a ton of people he never actually drank their blood.  Well not that they know of at least  Smile  At one of the suspected sites where he may be buried they performed excavations, and although they didn't find Vlad they found a mass grave with 200 headless skeletons.  Pretty good show, pleasant presenters, worth a watch if you're interested in that stuff.  4/5.

The Tunnel (2011) - a TV reporter and her crew go into some tunnels under Sydney to do a story on homeless people who are supposedly disappearing.  Fabulous setting for a horror movie - these things are huge, pitch black, maze-like and make you feel like if your flashlight batteries died you would NEVER find your way out again.  So they poke around down there for a while and some really spooky things start happening.  It was great for the first half, but this is yet another one of those movies that's all buildup and no payoff.  The "climax" is just people hyperventilating as we watch night-vision camera footage (with a cracked lens and the thing constantly shorting out) and I'm just sitting there for 10 minutes going "Is that a wall...or the floor?  This is borderline unwatchable."  All we ever see of whatever's down there are a couple of eyes glowing in the camera light.  Throughout the movie the two people who survived the ordeal are shown in interviews interspersed throughout the underground footage, so any surprise about who lives and dies is pretty well out the window.  Still worth it for the first hour though.  3.5/5.

The Awakening (2011) - set in around 1920, a school had a student die under mysterious circumstances which they think might be related to a haunting.  They call in a ghost hunter girl (complete with gadgets) to get to the bottom of it.  She soon solves that case but feels that there actually is something strange going on at the place, so continues to investigate.  There are tons of major plot twists later on, unfortunately I could only get a basic idea of what was going on because the characters like to talk really quietly and with enough of an English accent that I just couldn't make it out.  The main character was quite likable and interesting, sort of a modern girl but not judgmental about the customs of the era.  Almost like it was written by an adult.  Very slow moving and I didn't find it too suspenseful though.  3/5.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:14:55 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2013, 07:26:10 AM »

Re-watched "City of the Walking Dead" (aka the "American" cut of Umberto Lenzi's "Nightmare City") last night... I never get tired of that one.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »

I've actually watched  alot more movies, but I've been busy so I keep forgetting to come here and right them down.

I did however recently grab a 4 pack for $9 that contains The Mummy, the Wolfman, The Invisible Man, and The Claude Raines Phantom of the Opera. 

I'd actually never seen the Invisible Man before.  I really loved the story it's based on though and they did a great job capturing that here.  The Invisible Man is probably one of the most monstrous of all the Universal Monsters.  The guy was just laughingly evil.  The specifiable effects, while dated, can still look pretty cool at times, especially when the people are just running around trying to chase the floating shirt. 

On the flipside, Claude fairs much worse in the Phantom of the Opera.  The movie just seems to lack any real teeth to it (although the Phantom makeup is pretty good.)  It often seems to come across as more of a romantic comedy than a true horror film.  The movie also seesm a bit out of place in the four pack.  Everybody knows that the real Universal Monsters Phantom was Lon Chaney.   Wink
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.