Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:38 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125523 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »

The Terror Within (1989) - post-apocalypse, some folks are living in an underground bunker.  One of their scouting teams finds a pregnant woman and brings her back to the base - of course what she's pregnant with will prove to be a bit of a problem for everyone  TeddyR  This was kind of uninteresting at first but once our creepy critter got the cast whittled down to 2 or 3 people, I always find it becomes rather engrossing.  Despite the cheesy monster - really should have kept him in the shadows.  But a good time overall.  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #241 on: October 17, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

7. The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959): A disloyal, villainous husband is haunted by the ghost of the wife he so greatly wronged, a ghost who wants revenge.

This film plays somewhat like a classic tragedy. There are some great moments here and there as we watch events unfold knowing how twisted and evil several of our leading characters are yet somehow this film maintains our interest in them and their actions even if it makes us long for their undoing. There's some particularly good and nightmarish ghost reveals that really pack some punch yet somehow this film never proves quite as scary as one would like although it does work quite well in terms of the consciences of guilty men coming back to haunt and terrify them. There's definitely some very effective make-up work done in this one particularly as it relates to the main victims of the villain of this story. The disfigured faces do prove very memorable and disturbing. All in all though, this is a story of evildoers meeting a great comeuppance. It's effective in that way but never quite as scary as perhaps it could have been.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »

Big Ass Spider - Title says it all.  It's definitely a step above an Asylum film, even though that's what it looks like initially.  It has some solid comedic performances, a couple good character actors, a short run time, and a likable lead.  It didn't quite gel as well as that sounds for me though, and I found it's lackadaisical plotting lost me at times.  Still, I'd give it a 6/10.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »

AN AMERICAN GHOST STORY (2012)
  An unemployed filmmaker moves into a house where a family was brutally murdered by the father, who then committed suicide, in order to write a book about living in a haunted house.  This movie takes a LONG time to get going, and was shot on a budget of $10,000.  No fancy special effects, no CGI, and it's not yet another found footage PARANORMAL ACTIVITY ripoff.  But I will say that the scares, when they do come, are surprisingly creepy, the performances are very solid, and the final payoff is worth the hour and forty minutes it took to get to it.  I actually jumped at the end, even though I could see it coming.  This one surprised me by how much I actually liked it once it got going, especially since I had spent the first half hour griping about how slow it was.  I'll give it a 4/5 for the last fifteen minutes alone!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »

Humanoids From The Deep.  Wow, I hadn't seen this since I was around 10 years old, and I can't believe I didn't like it back then.  Or maybe I can, considering the content.   TongueOut

Entertaining from start to finish, there's always something going on, and it barely pauses for the entire runtime.  Surprisingly gory for the year it came out, and a ton of pointless nudity. 

Not AMAZING, but fun.  7/10.
major jay

« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

BURIAL GROUND (1986)
Forgot how gory this one is. And what a plot! Six adults and a child go to the country for a restful retreat and are attacked by zombies for the remainder of the film. That's all there is and that's all I needed. Thumbup 4/5

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »

I just watched a horror film called CHEMICAL PEEL.  One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen - a group of girls trapped in a country cabin when a train wreck unleashes deadly chemical fumes into the air, forcing them to remain in the cabin as the air grows worse and worse . . . and all their petty jealousies and rivalries emerge in their desperation to survive.  Hard to say what was uglier - the effect of the chemicals on their skin, or the effect of the crisis on their personalities.  AMAZING film, but very disturbing.  I'll be replaying some of those scenes in my head when I try to sleep tonight.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2014, 01:56:40 AM »

BURIAL GROUND (1986)
Forgot how gory this one is. And what a plot! Six adults and a child go to the country for a restful retreat and are attacked by zombies for the remainder of the film. That's all there is and that's all I needed. Thumbup 4/5

Are you forgetting the dwarf/short person actor who is supposed to be the son of the one character, and the moment where she randomly tries to breast feed him (he's supposed to be like 12-13, but the actor is way older)?  Strange movie.  Probably the only movie I've seen where a zombie chucks a throwing weapon quite effectively.

I watched Mega Shark VS Meka Shark.  To be honest, I was only half watching as I was sorting cards from Legendary Encounters.  The sorting was more interesting.  It was better than Mega Shark VS Giant Octopus by quite a bit (stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENS, for example), and was generally competently shot.  Still pretty awful and kind of dull, even though there was some laugh out loud awful moments (the opening tail slap).  I liked playing "spot the stock footage".  At least it was short.  3/10.

I also watched You're Next.  Seen this one several times, never fails to entertain.  9/10.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »

Curse of the Puppet Master (1998) - a guy runs a sort of carnival featuring our puppets, and hires a slow guy to carve the parts for a new puppet.  His hot young daughter falls for the guy.  Complications ensue.  This was good cheesy Full Moon fun, a bit slow in parts but it's kind of one of my favorites of this series.  3.5/5.

Totem (1999) - real zero-budget Full Moon cheapie.  Six people are mysteriously drawn to a cabin out in the woods where some little puppets want 3 of them to kill the other 3, then the puppets can take over the world!!!  Utterly absurd plot but for some reason I've watched this probably 4 times now.  Just enjoy the silliness of it I guess.  3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H

« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »

I watched Creature.  Terrible film all around.  Sid Haig tries, but even he's just so-so.  Just badly made all around, though the shooting and lighting is competent.  I guess it ought to be, it's a $3 million film.  Also, I'm getting tired of so many shot on digital films looking nearly identical (the color, focal lengths, etc).  Seriously, they look SO similar.  It kind of reminds me of how Golden Age technicolor films all have a similar color and dynamic range, but it's a much blander look.  Creature I'd give a 2/10 in terms of a serious rating..  For bad movie fans, I'd probably put it around a 5 or 6.  It's not boring.

I also watched Cockneys VS Zombies.  Couple of familiar British faces in this one, including p***y Galore (Honor Blackman).  It's well-made and entertaining, generally light.  I enjoyed it.  Also, has the most surviving cast members of any zombie film I've ever seen. with an R-level of violence (discounting more "family friendly" zombie films like Warm Bodies).  7/10.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

8. I, Frankenstein (2014): Frankenstein's creation, here named Adam (Aaron Eckhart), finds himself caught in the middle of a war between the forces of good (gargoyles) and the forces of evil (demons). Said war goes on unseen by humans but when said war threatens the reanimation of more Frankenstein-like creature, Adam feels compelled to get more involved.

This basically turns Frankenstein's Monster into a comic book superhero. The CGI battles between the two supernatural factions do seem to go on much too long and I must admit I found them hard to follow and rather dull for the most part. I didn't care for most of the CGI in the film to be honest. I did like the performance of Eckhart in the lead role although this Frankenstein Monster is far more attractive than most other versions I've seen put to film before with a few exceptions. There's really very little plot here beyond the most basic, the most compelling viewing comes from watching the character of Adam grow and seeing which decisions he will make. Back in my teen years, I might well have loved to read something like this in comic book form. As a modern day CGI popcorn action thriller, it feels somewhat lackluster aside from the Adam character. Really though, his origin story which is just glazed over here is far more interesting.

9. The Doomsday Machine (1972): Viewed on Elvira's Movie Macabre, this is yet another really bad movie best enjoyed with Elvira. After spies learn the Chinese have created a doomsday weapon capable of wiping out all life on Earth, a planned manned space trip to Venus is taken over by martial law and three male crew members are replaced unexpectedly by three new female crew members just as qualified. We eventually learn this has been done to ensure the continued survival of the human race if the doomsday machine goes off.

At times I actually enjoyed this mish-mash film, particularly the space opera stuff in the middle. On a guilty pleasure level, I have to admit to getting a kick out of this at times particularly during this section of the story where we see three couples more or less pairing off although one male member of the crew (actually played by Grant Williams of Incredible Shrinking Man fame) turns into something of a lustful leech once he learns the real purpose of the ladies on board. Other actors on board for this one are Bobby Van, Ruta Lee, Mala Powers, Henry Wilcoxon, and James Craig.  Also look for Casey Kasem and Mike Farrell in brief roles. This is basically an uncompleted film where they decided to film unrelated extra scenes and add in stock footage to complete the movie which apparently sat uncompleted for years. The end result is a mess of a movie that laughably has about four different versions of what is supposed to be one spaceship (one looks like a rocket, another a space station, another a moving space station), poorly mismatches stock footage from Gorath, The Wizard of Mars and other films into the movie, has a tacked on beginning and ending that both seem unrelated to the rest of the film. The middle space opera section is enjoyable in a so bad it's good kind of way but the ending proves terribly disappointing as you could tell they couldn't get the original actors to shoot a few concluding scenes so we get tacked on narration and a nonsensical, dull ending instead. There is one moment of horror in this one involving characters accidentally opening the space shuttle doors at one point. The rest is pretty unconvincing and laughable.

10. The Return of Dracula (1958): A visitor from the Balkans named Bellac Gordal (Francis Lederer) comes to America to stay with his cousins the Mayberry family. However we know he is in reality the notorious Count Dracula in disguise.

This had some good atmospheric moments in its favor. It also has a certain quiet charm yet doesn't fail to deliver moments that do successfully leave a chill or two. It's kind of like taking Count Dracula and mixing him and what he gets up to with small town folks in rural America. Lederer does quite well in the lead and I was surprised that this black and white classic had some surprisingly gory moments towards the end clearly designed to startle viewers in the time. Still compared to Horror of Dracula, which came out the same year, this film feels kind of tame. Biggest problem with this one is some scenes are not as convincing as one wants them to be, the lack of vampire fangs and bats, etc. Still well worth watching and quite enjoyable for Lederer's performance and that of his potential victims Virginia Vincent and Norma Eberhardt.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:33:10 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »

Inseminoid (1981) - some people at a research facility on another planet (a Horror Planet!) find a cavern and...I dunno, something explodes and an ancient alien comes back to life. Poor little Judy Geeson gets raped by it, becomes pregnant and spends the rest of the movie killing off the other crew members - which is pretty easy because they're all idiots with no survival instincts whatsoever. This pretty much defines the word "sedate"; I think all the cast members were chosen for their ability to speak in a soothing monotone. But I saw it way back in the '80s on TV and it's always held some weird place in my heart ever since then. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN (1996): Two vicious criminals take a preacher's family hostage and head for a rendezvous at a biker bar in Mexico, but it turns out that the establishment is run by the undead. Contains some very good set pieces (like Salma Hayek's amazing bikini dance), and the campy second half almost redeems the nihilistic first part, but overall it's annoying to see a filmmaker deliberately working below his talent level. I had big expectations for this first Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez collaboration when it first came out, but was hugely disappointed. Years later I only feel a slightly more generous towards it. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
voltron

« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »

Watched Don't Look In The Basement a couple of nights ago. One of my favorites since I was a kid and it still holds up well after many years. 4/5

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2014, 07:12:35 AM »

Curse of the Devil (1973) - another one of those Paul Naschy films which, like every other one, has an ancestor of his executing a witch who puts a curse on his family, and in the present day Naschy starts turning into a werewolf.   Good atmosphere, a couple naked babes...and on the other hand it's incredibly slow moving and I don't think Naschy acts at all.  Oh well, 3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.