Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:20:05 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Compliments You Have Received « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best Compliments You Have Received  (Read 6392 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: October 14, 2013, 03:24:54 AM »

Basically, when people compliment me I'm nonplussed, because it's usually something I don't care about. It's just me doing my job.

But every once in a while somebody says something that I take to heart.

The first I want to share was given about the advent of the internet. This page was my introduction to the internet, and if you're willing to search you can read actual poetry by myself. At any rate, I got involved in a discussion where people were taking somebody down. My only response was "Yes, Piggy, give us the glasses." Another person responded, "What a delightfully sick mind you have, Mofo."

I liked that.

But my other favorite was when I went into the back room at work and started talking about Zeno's Paradox. If you're not familiar with the paradox, it's the idea that for you to get from one space to another, you have to go halfway there before you can get to the end. Not a problem, but for you to get to the halfway point, you also have to get to the halfway point of the halfway point. Continue this ad nauseum, and you can never logically make your way to any point whatsoever.

So I started with that explanation and ended with, "but if I was going to shoot you with a gun, I would still go to jail."

One of my coworkers turned to me and said, "That's what I like about you. You always come back here and start talking about something really high-minded. But by the time you've stopped talking it's always been morphed into something completely stupid."

That's basically my goal in life.

Now, your examples don't have to be as back-handed as the stuff I invite, but what compliments have you received that you really take to heart? C'mon, it's an excuse to talk yourself up.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »

At any rate, I got involved in a discussion where people were taking somebody down. My only response was "Yes, Piggy, give us the glasses." Another person responded, "What a delightfully sick mind you have, Mofo." 

I assume you were reading Lord of The Flies then.  Wink

One of my coworkers turned to me and said, "That's what I like about you. You always come back here and start talking about something really high-minded. But by the time you've stopped talking it's always been morphed into something completely stupid."

That's basically my goal in life.

LOL  BounceGiggle TeddyR

I get a lot of compliments in my work which makes it worthwhile, it being the long hours for low pay, the sacrifice, etc and most of it is in writing which benefits me when performance review comes around.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:03 AM »

About a month ago my wife and I were in the kitchen doing the dishes, teasing each other and being silly as usual.  Our daughter was in the other room listening to us and came in and said something like "It's so nice to have parents who get along and are fun to be with.  I'm so lucky to have you guys."

That made us both feel great - we're actually good parents I guess  Cheers

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

The first time I rolled out my impression of Max Bialystock, Beau Marie gave me this look indicating he was impressed, & said "You just went through a whole range of emotions."
At the time I'd really been fishing for a good monolog, & that one just clicked, but at that moment, I knew I was onto something, like I'd finally found that "me" character...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
claws
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

Just today I had a talk with my boss regarding my employment contract for an unlimited period, meaning, company policy requires we have these little talks every two months. It's basically to check on how I'm doing in my job or if there are any problems etc.
He told me that I was one of the nicest and friendliest working for the company and yes, I actually blushed a bit. I feel so awkward when somebody throws a "compliment" my way.
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »

The one thing that has been said about me that sticks in my mind was an off-hand comment from a friend: "Being around you is like living with a cartoon character."

I'm taking it as a compliment no matter what they were really meaning.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »

I feel so awkward when somebody throws a "compliment" my way.
In a real life face-to-face situation, I agree. It's like someone shining a mini-spotlight at you, which out of courtesy you are then obliged to bask in for a second. And that (not through anyone's fault) is actually more of a chore than a pleasure most of the time. I usually prefer to not receive any type of 'judgement' at all.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »

My Boo saying
Yes", when I asked her to marry me.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

Coming back from school on my way home on a hot day when I was in 11th grade, someone offered me a beer. Told him I was 16, he said I looked 21.

yeah no.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »

Just today I had a talk with my boss regarding my employment contract for an unlimited period, meaning, company policy requires we have these little talks every two months. It's basically to check on how I'm doing in my job or if there are any problems etc.
He told me that I was one of the nicest and friendliest working for the company and yes, I actually blushed a bit. I feel so awkward when somebody throws a "compliment" my way.

Years ago, during the incident I described in the "Why Do People Suck" thread, the big manager of Home Depot said to me that he knew what was up with my two backstabbing co-workers, and he told me right out, " Shawn, I don't care what happens to those two idiots, but I want YOU to stay, because you actually do your work and you're a big help in this dept."    Too bad that no one sees that that work ethic is still with me today and that it hasn't changed.... Bluesad
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »

A couple of years ago I was teaching a night class and one of my students, a 50 year old returning to college after his kids were grown, walked up to me after the evening lecture and said:  "I thought I had had history teachers before.  I was wrong."

Then, a number of years earlier, I had a graduating senior who was one of the most trouble-making little twits I have ever taught come into my room right before graduation and say:  "All the teachers here talk about how important it is to forgive and forget, but you are the only one who actually does it.  For that reason alone you have always been my favorite teacher."

He walked out before I started crying . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

A couple of years ago I was teaching a night class and one of my students, a 50 year old returning to college after his kids were grown, walked up to me after the evening lecture and said:  "I thought I had had history teachers before.  I was wrong."

Well, it all goes back to what they taught you and I at the College Of Winterhold...remember the arch-mage telling us that the knowledge we learn here will last us a lifetime, or several if we're careful? You were obviously careful, and the knowledge you have gained over those centuries has served you well in the area of history  Wink

Then, a number of years earlier, I had a graduating senior who was one of the most trouble-making little twits I have ever taught come into my room right before graduation and say:  "All the teachers here talk about how important it is to forgive and forget, but you are the only one who actually does it.  For that reason alone you have always been my favorite teacher."

Sounds like one of those little smart-ass kids who actually wound up respecting you because you went toe-to-toe with him in way that he could relate to. All well and good, and I only hope that he has learned that troublemaking will get him nowhere in life, because in life, there's enough trouble to get into without us making it.  Rock on, Indy!   Cheers
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »

Well, it all goes back to what they taught you and I at the College Of Winterhold...remember the arch-mage telling us that the knowledge we learn here will last us a lifetime, or several if we're careful? You were obviously careful, and the knowledge you have gained over those centuries has served you well in the area of history  Wink

Sounds like one of those little smart-ass kids who actually wound up respecting you because you went toe-to-toe with him in way that he could relate to. All well and good, and I only hope that he has learned that troublemaking will get him nowhere in life, because in life, there's enough trouble to get into without us making it.  Rock on, Indy!   Cheers

Well said!

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

Well said!

Why thankee my friend!  Cheers
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

I'd rather give compliments than receive them. Like claws and zombie #1, they make me a little uncomfortable. I always assume the complimenter is either just being formally polite, or wants something from me (even if it's just a return compliment). If they say something about how great I am, well, that's not a compliment, that's just telling it as it is.

I do remember one compliment that stuck in my mind: "your writing is f**king crisp, man." I liked that one.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Compliments You Have Received « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.