Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:30 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CLOVERFIELD (2008) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CLOVERFIELD (2008)  (Read 9092 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

The movie was OK. For some reason, I found the viral marketing campaign more interesting.

When a movie runs the risk of dangerously sucking, like The Blair Witch Project (1999) for example, it always pays to have a viral marketing campaign like that movie did. Cloverfield (2008) came out at just the right time too, right when smartphones were starting to become popular; remember the dark old days before 2007 when there were no smartphones? So this cell phone footage movie really played into the introduction of new, hip technology rather well. Blair Witch kinda did that too with their Internet marketing campaign, which really hadn't been done for a movie before 1999.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »

I guess we like this movie.   TeddyR

Yeah, space monsters rule!  3 cheers for our giant buddy!  Cheers

Off topic, but w\regards to space monsters, my fave will always be the cyclops from Lost In Space.    Oh what the heck, ALL monsters are cool.  TeddyR
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »

Oh what the heck, ALL monsters are cool.  TeddyR

ALL monsters are cool?  Question

------------------
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

I'm afraid I only made it about 15 minutes into Cloverfield.  I just didn't care for those characters at all.  They were all the sort of utterly empty, utterly full-of-themselves uber-yuppies that just repel me.  I never even saw the monster lol.  I should have used the FF button I guess.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

Oh what the heck, ALL monsters are cool.  TeddyR

ALL monsters are cool?  Question

Oh cool, it's Naginata from Yokai Monsters.  That was a very cool movie based on some very fascinating Japanese folklore. Yeah, some monsters might be dated in their appearance and screen presence, but all monsters are pretty well cool! I guess I'm just a monster kind a' guy.  Smile
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

ALL monsters are cool?  Question

Yes.. ALL monsters are cool.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
akiratubo

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »

I didn't like Cloverfield.  There was all sorts of interesting stuff happening, like a monster rampaging through the city, the military fighting it, and even the small creatures roaming about.  However, that was merely window dressing for A ROMANTIC ANGST PLOT ABOUT A 20-SOMETHING GUY.  You know, the movie could have been about the group trying desperately to flee.  That would have been fine.  But, no!  They had to be going to rescue the guy's kinda-ex-but-not-really-ever-girlfriend-who-he-treated-like-utter-crap.  Boy, I sure care about that.   Hatred

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »

I'm afraid I only made it about 15 minutes into Cloverfield.  I just didn't care for those characters at all.  They were all the sort of utterly empty, utterly full-of-themselves uber-yuppies that just repel me.  I never even saw the monster lol.  I should have used the FF button I guess.
For me, the fact I did not care about these people, and actively disliked at least one, and their ignorance of what was happening, makes the movie work.  And I really would have expected to hate this movie. 

I didn't like Cloverfield.  There was all sorts of interesting stuff happening, like a monster rampaging through the city, the military fighting it, and even the small creatures roaming about.  However, that was merely window dressing for A ROMANTIC ANGST PLOT ABOUT A 20-SOMETHING GUY.  You know, the movie could have been about the group trying desperately to flee.  That would have been fine.  But, no!  They had to be going to rescue the guy's kinda-ex-but-not-really-ever-girlfriend-who-he-treated-like-utter-crap.  Boy, I sure care about that.   Hatred
I don't agree about the "window dressing".  His friend at the beginning calls the lead a "douche" and means it.  Vacuous venal people (y'know, ordinary people) are faced with a complete new set of rules.  The douche attempts to be a man, perhaps self-consciously, but not self-righteously.  Facing death, his thoughts immediately turn to the woman he'd "treated like utter crap".  As we learn at the very end: they love each other.   The movie isn't really about them; it's about us. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:33 AM »

Maybe that's the hang-up. Because many of us would have simply been hightailing it the f**k outta there!  BounceGiggle

------------------
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »

For me, the fact I did not care about these people, and actively disliked at least one, and their ignorance of what was happening, makes the movie work.  And I really would have expected to hate this movie. 

I don't agree about the "window dressing".  His friend at the beginning calls the lead a "douche" and means it.  Vacuous venal people (y'know, ordinary people) are faced with a complete new set of rules.  The douche attempts to be a man, perhaps self-consciously, but not self-righteously.  Facing death, his thoughts immediately turn to the woman he'd "treated like utter crap".  As we learn at the very end: they love each other.   The movie isn't really about them; it's about us. 

That's an interesting take on Cloverfield. Kind of a "love among the ruins" story as the lead has to rebuild and re-start from under both emotional and physical rubble. So it's also a story of death and re-birth on a few different levels. 
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CLOVERFIELD (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.