Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:48 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  An H.P. Lovecraft discussion question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An H.P. Lovecraft discussion question  (Read 2761 times)
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »

Here's a little something to mull over. In The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft, Deep One hybrids are the result of human males voluntarily inseminating Deep One females. In more modern pastiches of this concept, it's a result of Deep One males inseminating human females, almost always via rape. Discuss.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

I really hate it when movies try to "improve" on the original stories, because they most often get it wrong or completely destroy the original concept behind the story. I like the original Lovecraft idea better because he always inserted a haunting impartiality into his stories, like Mankind was insignificant and didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. This worked most appropriately in his Innsmouth story where human males bred with Deep One females, because it completely removed the human tendency to invoke victimhood into its classic tales of good vs. evil.

By approaching it from that perspective, where humans are always the victims (raped by outside forces, for example), it tends to dumb down the higher concept that the original author was aiming for, that outside forces like the Deep Ones, followers of Dagon, would not care to make victims out of humans, but instead simply breed with a lesser race (humans) in order to multiply the master race (Deep Ones) to serve their higher purpose of maintaining their god (Dagon) and his existence. Rape is a concept that is so "human" that it seems petty by the Great Old Ones' standards, much like the significance of an ant raping another ant would mean to one of us humans.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »

Here's a little something to mull over. In The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft, Deep One hybrids are the result of human males voluntarily inseminating Deep One females. In more modern pastiches of this concept, it's a result of Deep One males inseminating human females, almost always via rape. Discuss.

Cross-breeds are born looking human, and they don't seem to develop the "Innsmouth look" for decades. I got the impression that most of the hybrids resulted from these "disguised" hybrids going out and mating as opportunity allowed, since the hybrids appear to mutate fully into Deep Ones if given enough time, and the Deep One "gene" continues from generation to generation without being "diluted".

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »

Cross-breeds are born looking human, and they don't seem to develop the "Innsmouth look" for decades. I got the impression that most of the hybrids resulted from these "disguised" hybrids going out and mating as opportunity allowed, since the hybrids appear to mutate fully into Deep Ones if given enough time, and the Deep One "gene" continues from generation to generation without being "diluted".

That's a good point, Ted C. If enough hybrids mate over time (given that the human-Deep One cross allows for hybrids capable of mating) they would continue to mate until the hybrid was bred out and you had 2 whole specimens mating with each other to produce a full Deep One (IF my science is right here.)

Also, I would think that the original concept of human males inseminating Deep One females may have been done to resolve the moral dilemma of rape.  By this I mean that  human males mating with non-human females via "rape" wouldn't have been as morally controversial as if it were a human man raping a human female. Just a thought.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  An H.P. Lovecraft discussion question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.