Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:24:35 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JUGFACE (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JUGFACE (2013)  (Read 1655 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 11, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »

My gut reaction to this movie was pretty simple and basic:
"Man, that is MESSED UP!"

Here is a quick synopsis:
Somewhere deep in Appalachia is an isolated community of hillbillies that worship a hole in the ground.
"The Pit," as they call it, feeds on human sacrifices, and in turn it heals their diseases, makes their soil fertile, and protects the community from harm.
For generations one member of the community has worked as "the Potter."  He will periodically go into a trance and craft a clay jug with a human face.
Whosoever's face is on the jug will be taken to the pit and sacrificed, their throat cut and their blood fed to the pit to purchase its blessings for another season.

Ada is a beautiful young teen who has been having sex with her brother.  She suddenly finds out that her parents have betrothed her to marry a young man she cares very little for, that she is pregnant with her brother's child, and that the Potter has made a new jug - with her face on it!  She hides the jug in the woods before he can come out of his trance, and the Pit suddenly starts claiming victims throughout the small community, butchering them and leaving their severed limbs and entrails along the edge of the pit.

Ada's father, the Priest of the Pit, tries to appease its wrath, but eventually it claims Ada's brother, and then him as well.

Can Ada escape before her secret becomes known?  Can Dawai, the Potter, satisfy the pit by sculpting another jug face?

This movie takes an incredibly far-fetched premise and makes it believable.   These Appalachian primitives are repulsive, and at the same time, you are drawn into their narrow, limited world and come to care about their fate.  You wonder how many of them will survive . . .

Because the Pit wants what it wants.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »

I liked this movie quite a bit and I've been waiting for someone else to find it.

I even nominated Sean Young for "Best Supporting Actress" in the Online Film Critics Society awards, but of course no one else had seen it.

Very original movie that proves you don't need to spend a ton of money to scare the audience.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »

"Jugs with faces, you say?"

I have to track this down now, mainly because I'm wondering whether there's a beastie down in that pit or if an immobile geological formation is actually killing people. Death Canyon, The Canyon that Eats  BounceGiggle

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JUGFACE (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.