Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:10 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  R.I.P. Nelson Mandela « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: R.I.P. Nelson Mandela  (Read 17831 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma announced in a national address that Nelson Mandela has just passed away.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/world/africa/nelson-mandela/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Bluesad

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »

One of the truly historic figures of the late 20th century.
A man of courage and dignity, however one feels about his politics.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »

I first heard of this guy when I was 19.
I was working at ASAP Printing in Houston, when we got this last minute rush order to print up these posters.

I had no idea who this guy was, but I thought they were pretty cool, so I stole one off the reject pile.

It was a painting of a younger Mandela, with blood & sweat dripping from his brow. The background was the outline of Africa shaped from barbed wire that was consumed in flames, with the words FREE MANDELA written in flames (though, I can't remember if it was on the top or bottom).

My Mom picked me up from work, & one the way home, told me who this guy was.
When I got home, I flicked on the news, & GUESS WHAT?
The client still had to pay for them, though, they sat on the OUTGOING shelf for a pretty long time.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

One of the truly historic figures of the late 20th century.
A man of courage and dignity, however one feels about his politics.

Indeed.
A man who spends nearly 30 years in jail, and who comes out of jail with an attitude of love and pity those who wronged him, and not the will to destroy them, has quite a character within him. Not many would feel that way...
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »

"Mandela’s sharp statements rarely cited in mainstream media"

http://rt.com/news/mandela-sharp-quotes-media-860/
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

"Mandela’s sharp statements rarely cited in mainstream media"

http://rt.com/news/mandela-sharp-quotes-media-860/

This is why only liberals in the U.S. really miss the guy. The 2nd comment in the Comments section of that web page makes a good point though.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

I largely agree with those statements actually. I don't know much about him but his wife seems like kind of a Hillary type, less appealing and more sinister than her husband.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

I largely agree with those statements actually. I don't know much about him but his wife seems like kind of a Hillary type, less appealing and more sinister than her husband.
Fixed that For you.

yeah no.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

??
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

??
Slashed out the part that can cause a s**t storm.

yeah no.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »

Why? Nobody cared about his wife.

------------------
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »

Why? Nobody cared about his wife.

And it's stuff like this that can cause a s**t storm.

yeah no.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »

Okay, I looked into the background of Winnie Mandela and discovered something rather interesting, which does make her sound rather Hillary-ish.

From Wikipedia: http://blekko.com/wiki/Necklacing

Necklacing is the practice of summary execution and torture carried out by forcing a rubber tire, filled with petrol, around a victim's chest and arms, and setting it on fire. The victim may take up to 20 minutes to die, suffering severe burns in the process.

In South Africa [edit source | edit]

The practice became a common method of lynching among black South Africans during disturbances in South Africa in the 1980s and 1990s. The first recorded instance took place in Uitenhage on 23 March 1985 when black African National Congress (ANC) supporters killed a black councillor who was accused of being a White collaborator.[1]

Necklacing "sentences" were sometimes handed down against alleged criminals by "people's courts" established in black townships as a means of enforcing their own judicial system. Necklacing was also used by the black community to punish members of the black community who were perceived as collaborators with the apartheid government. These included black policemen, town councilors and others, as well as their relatives and associates. The practice was often carried out in the name of the ANC. Winnie Mandela, then-wife of the imprisoned Nelson Mandela and a senior member of the ANC, even made statements that endorsed its use.[2] The ANC officially condemned the practice.[3] The number of deaths per month in South Africa related to political unrest as a whole from 1992 through 1995 ranged from 54 to 605 and averaged 244.[4] These figures are inclusive of massacres as well as deaths not attributed to necklacing.

The first victim of necklacing, according to the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission, was a young girl, Maki Skosana, in July 1985.[5]

“ Moloko said her sister was burned to death with a tire around her neck while attending the funeral of one of the youths.
Her body had been scorched by fire and some broken pieces of glass had been inserted into her vagina, Moloko told the committee.

Moloko added that a big rock had been thrown on her face after she had been killed.[6]

------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »

Zelmo, is this really the time or place to bring this sort of stuff up?
Mandela was a great man - but all great men are flawed at some level.  You're dragging in stuff that he had no part in, into a thread that was intended to honor his memory.  I'm not saying that this sort of discussion is not appropriate at some point - but this is not the time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 01:28:35 AM »

I believe that there is a lot that has happened in South Africa that most of us Americans don't know much about. This is why I normally don't designate someone as "great" without checking into their background first. I am curious as to what some of our resident South African friends think of his passing though.

------------------
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  R.I.P. Nelson Mandela « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.