Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:00:17 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ender's Game (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ender's Game (2013)  (Read 2213 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 13, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »

True to form, I managed to see an anticipated movie in the first weekend of opening.  Ender's Game did not disappoint me.  While I haven't read the original book, I've read a number of others in the Ender series including Speaker For The Dead, and others.  From what I gather, the movie follows the original plot fairly closely, although a few things were changed to make it more dramatic.

The acting was excellent, and the portrayal of Ender Wiggin as a very slight, introverted boy was a nice touch.  Too bad that the aliens were not called 'Buggers' as they were in the books, although that may have been a touch non-PC.  The special effects were superb, realistic without being overtly 'manufactured', if that makes sense. 

What surprised me was the number of small kids who were watching this movie.  A young boy as the lead character does not make this a childrens' film.  Quite a few kids were talking and laughing in the first part of the film, but after the first beatdown, they were silent.  I like that in a movie!

I wasn't blown away by it, but I wasn't disappointed.  It will become part of the blu-ray collection, but I won't be hankering for it, like I did with The Avengers (2012) or The Dark Knight Rises (2012).  Check it out in the cinema if you want, or wait for your usual delivery format in time.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Neville

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

It's been years since I last picked up the book, but I thought it was a pretty good / almost great adaptation. It was also great to get more of the "behind the scenes" stuff with Harrison Ford's character, without those parts it would have been a bit hard to follow what they were trying to achieve with Ender's training. And those scenes have some of the finest acting Ford has done in a while, too.

I'm sort of shocked this wasn't the smash hit that would allow film adaptations of the following Ender books, but I guess the source material isn't as well-known outside the USA as I expected.

BTW, also heard recently that the first book is one of the recommended readings for the Marines. I really don't know what to make of that. This one and "Starship Troopers" (specially since the movie was released) can drive the readers to completely different interpretations.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Bushma

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »

Just got back from the local $3 theater where the family and I went to see this.

It was an enjoyable movie, a lot of wonderful effects and some good acting from the kids. I would definitely recommend, but be warned calling the movie rushed is a huge understatement. However if you are a fan of the book be prepared to be disappointed. The movie tries its best to get the plot of the book across but rushes through things so fast and skips so much the only reason you know what's happening is from the book.

Also one thing that annoyed the hell out of me...

Bonzo Madrid pulling Ender down to eye level.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »

The only thing I liked about the film was that a South African directed it. Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ender's Game (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.