Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:39:29 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BYZANTIUM (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BYZANTIUM (2012)  (Read 1731 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 13, 2013, 07:48:45 AM »

This is an interesting and cerebral vampire film, somewhat of a feminist version of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.
Two beautiful women, Elanor and her mother Clara, have traveled together for two centuries, moving from town to town and preying upon people to feed their appetite for blood.  Clara is a prostitute, who works as an exotic dancer and preys upon the men who pay for her services; Elanor is a wistful, sad immortal, trapped at age 16 forever, who preys upon the elderly and the dying, waiting until they concede their readiness to die.  Both women are pursued wherever they go by a mysterious vampire order that seeks to exterminate them; their backstory is told in the form of an essay that Clara writes for a college class in their new abode.

Beautifully filmed and slow-paced but never boring, this is the best vampire movie since LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.  It offers several new twists on the vampire mythos (the women draw the blood from their victims not with fangs but their long, sharp thumbnails) and features some very well-developed characters.  All in all, I really enjoyed this one.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Thanks, Indy.  I saw the trailer some months ago, but dismissed as 'yet another vampire movie'.  And being a fan of vampire movies, that is saying something.  The trailer makes it seem like it is very well shot.  I'll give this a go.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »

This one's been getting the internet buzz lately. It's on my to-view list.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »

I wasn't expecting much from this one, but it must be the best vampire film I've seen since "Let Me In". Looks like Neil Jordan took another look at the main ingredients from "Interview with a Vampire" and re-arranged them in a better way, although with a much lower budget. I could have done without the messed up structure, though.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BYZANTIUM (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.