Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:17 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)  (Read 1667 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »

Just got back from seeing this. I loved it! It was a bit of a mishmash initially and took a little while to find its feet, but the third act, once Smaug shows up, was worth it. He'll definitely go down in history as one of my favorite movie dragons. His entrance into the film was simply awesome to behold. Great voice acting, too.

Bolg was pretty badass, too.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »

As a devoted fan of the book for over 30 years, the gross departures from Tolkien's narrative structure bothered me a great deal.
And some of the sequences didn't even really make a lot of sense, to be honest.

That being said, as a movie, it was very enjoyable and I am anxious to see how they wind it up.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »

Some random thoughts:

WARNING!!! (Minor) SPOILERS!

-I thought Beorn was underused and the scenes involving him felt rushed, like Jackson wanted to get to Mirkwood as quickly as possible.
-Mirkwood was nothing like the nearly completely pitch black forest described in the book. It was just a generic haunted forest here in the movie. The enchantment which causes hallucinations (which didn't exist in the book) added nothing and seemed weird just for the sake of weird.
-What was up with the Elvenking's face when he is talking to Thorin? That was weird.
-I felt that the scenes in the elf palace were rushed and the river battle was too long, even if it was entertaining.
-I didn't like how the Elvenking was handled. From a firm but fair ruler who shows mercy to prisoners, even if they're his most hated enemies, to a guy who murders unarmed prisoners in fits of pique. Classy.
-Ditto the Master. In the book, he's a petty and greedy jerk but sensible enough. Here, instead of a shrewd but cowardly politician, he's just a one-dimensional villain.
-Could they have tried any harder to make the Master's assistant any more like Grima Wormtongue?
-Why did Bolg run away during his battle with Legolas? He was winning!
-I hated how Bard was done. Far from the champion archer and captain of the Master's bowmen who is well-liked by everyone in Lake Town (apart from some gentle ribbing from his men that he is a bit of a doomsayer), he is a mercenary-minded boatman whom nobody likes and whose archery skills are beside the point.

All this griping aside, I did enjoy it. It just felt rushed and clunky in some places, and didn't seem to find its footing until the third act, and I didn't like the drastically different characterizations of Bard, the Master and the Elvenking.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:06:37 AM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

I wasn't exactly mesmerized by the first "Hobbit" film, but I found this one an overall improvement, almost on par to the LOTRR films. Most of the feeling Jackson was improvising without a plot is gone here, and the final act with Smaug is nothing short of great. Now it only needs a proper third film to wrap things up.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »

That Tauriel gal wasn't in the book. Neither was Legolas, come to think of it. I don't recall a love story being in The Hobbit book either.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.