Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:15:58 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tyranno's best ten movies of the year thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tyranno's best ten movies of the year thread  (Read 3521 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 28, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »

So first, some honourable mentions of sorts:

Deadly Descent - This gets the questionable honour of being the best Syfy original of the year. Its amongst the rare examples where its almost a character-driven creature feature and frankly its among the rare examples I'd watch again.

The Dylatlov Pass Incident - I'm unsure whether this was good enough for best ten material. It wasn't what I expected but it wasn't bad. I'm putting this one here to compensate...

Hypothermia - Well its UK premier was 2013 anyways. Even after waiting years to watch it it wasn't dissapointing.

Anyways, onto the list itself:

10: Dead Mine - This movie merges character-driven material with what you'd get from a splatter flick, something it shares with the aforementioned Hypothermia. It has some atmospheric parts too. Aside from that its pretty much your stand flick about soldiers meeting an abnormal enemy underground.

9: Frankenstein's Army - Its almost an inverted version of the above movie. There wasn't much characterisation and it generally wasn't scary, but it compensated with the imagination behind the cybernetic abominations. The characters showing common sense and this movie's realistic portrayal of injuries certainly helped.

8: The Conspiracy - This one is another example that despite the massive potential for found footage horror to be terrible, many examples prove pretty good somehow. Basically the film focuses on people who noticed strange things happening involving the Government, but understandably were powerless so not much happened aside from giving the audience the feeling of dread.

7: The Devils Business - A film about two hitmen waiting for their target to return home, but there's stuff going on in the home they aren't aware of. Its mostly the atmosphere that makes this one so effective. The hitmen were pretty sympathetic too though.

6: Dark Skies - I don't often put Hollywood films here because frankly, too many are based around cheap shocks. But this focuses on the people suffering through the phenomena and uses atmosphere even though it sometimes fumbles by including jump scares in these scenes. It's something different to see an attempt by a Hollywood horror to be character-driven that's actually character-driven instead of pretending some stereotypical teen drama fills that requirement.

And besides, if "best Syfy original" is an award befitting a site called BadMovies, "best Hollywood horror" certainly is too.

Hmm... Night Skies, The Fourth Kind, Dark Skies... apparently there's something about alien abduction that just unsettles me.

5: When the Lights Went Out - A film set in old Britain. Well not that old. Its, like, the Seventies or something. Anyways its a haunted house flick that focuses on the family being terrorised by the haunting. But also, early on, a ceiling light began swinging and honestly, when I noticed the similarities to a hanged man's body swinging, I felt like throwing up. And it turned out that the ghost, when alive, actually died from being hanged. That was brilliant.

4: Willow Creek - Found footage movie about Bigfoot. I've made a thread about this elsewhere, so I don't have anything to say about it without repeating myself.

3: 388 Arletta Avenue - Essentially, a lunatic breaks into a family's house/car/etc. and plants cameras. The movie is shown entirely from the perspective of the cameras. The lunatic messes with the husband living there, leaving obvious signs he's been inside the house. At the same time the wife disappears leaving the husband to figure out who's doing this. Unsurprising he becomes quite unstable.

2: Antisocial - Teens preparing for a New Year's party discover there's something terribly with their favourite social networking site. This one works on a similar level to Stephen King's book "Cell" in the sense that the thing the potential victims might use to try to figure out what's going on is what's dangerous, whereas in "Cell" people calling for help were using the thing that's dangerous.

It shows the importance of characters in horror to be either likeable or at least something more than "that boy", "that girl" etc.. I actually remembered many character names from Antisocial for weeks/months after watching it. You're Next, meanwhile, had characters I couldn't name a week after it ended.

1: The Banshee Chapter - Based on the story "From Beyond" by H. P. Lovecraft. Thankfully not as goofy as the Yuzna/Gordon one. But it was also based experimental drug trials by the U.S. armed forces. Basically, two guys get a sample of the drugs. After taking it, one dies mysteriously. But connections to the drug merely being dangerous if ingested end when the other, who didn't ingest it, likewise dies under mysterious circumstances, leading an internet journalist to track down a man holding samples of the drug.

Frankly, The Banshee Chapter is so brilliant that even though I was suffering from flu-like symptoms, which would make enjoying any film based around feeling something very hard. It was still terrifying.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:13:03 AM »

1)Wolf of Wall Street
2)Frances Ha
3)Before Midnight
4)Mud
5)Gravity
6)Disconnect
7)The Hunt
8)Breathe In
9)Only God Forgives
10)Curse of Chucky 

Also good to great:Blue Caprice, Prisoners, The East, Fruitvale Station, Captain Philips, Spring Breakers, Pain and Gain, Prince Avalanche, Snitch, Man of Steel, Dark skies, Stoker, Side Effects, The Butler, The Conjuring, Man of Tai Chi, Clear History, Place Beyond The Pines, Phil Spector, Dallas Buyers Club, Blackfish

Will write more about this in a day or two but overall I think this has been a pretty incredible year for film. I still want to see Her, Inside Lewyn Davis, and August Ossage County before I finalize this list.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »

I haven't seen any of those, Tyranno, although I'll be seeing BANSHEE CHAPTER in January.

Honorable mentions: JUG FACE, JOHN DIES AT THE END.

Didn't see (yet, at least): AMERICAN HUSTLE, HER, WOLF OF WALL STREET, FRANCES HA, BLUE JASMINE

1. THE ACT OF KILLING
2. BLANCANIEVES
3. GRAVITY
4. CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
5. ALL IS LOST
6. 12 YEARS A SLAVE
7. MUD
8. SPRING BREAKERS
9. BEFORE MIDNIGHT
10. DRUG WARS

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tyranno's best ten movies of the year thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.