Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:43 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Trek Into Darkness « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 4453 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: December 30, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

I know this was discussed under "Good Movies", but I finally saw this on DVD, and I was really surprised at how BAD it was.

Granted, the production values are high and the actors did their jobs pretty well, but there's only so much you can do with such a weak story.

Everything about it is blatantly derivative of earlier Star Trek: "Space Seed", The Wrath of Khan, and The Undiscovered Country. I didn't feel like there was any originality in the new spin.

And everything is SO overdone. Toward the end I was getting really tired and wishing the damn thing would just be OVER.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:48:24 AM by Ted C » Logged

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

Well, I was going to buy the DVD but I won't now. Thanks for saving me some money, Ted.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »

Definitely the worst theater experience I had in 2013. Adding to the frustration I decided to pay for two of my friends and with the 3d this POS movie cost me nearly 60$. Script was horrible, 3d was horrible I just hated every second. Way too many action set pieces makes rather impressive sfx completely uninteresting.
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »

And everything is SO overdone. Toward the end I was getting really tired and wishing the damn thing would just be OVER.

A thousand times this!  I thought the 2009 Trek was pretty bad but Into Darkness was like having someone shout in your face for over two hours.

There was a good movie in there somewhere, it just didn't end up on screen.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »

Everything about it is blatantly derivative of earlier Star Trek: "Space Seed", The Wrath of Khan, and The Undiscovered Country. I didn't feel like there was any originality in the new spin.

If you remember, in the first reboot they used the excuse of Spock altering time and creating a parallel universe when he got caught in the black hole to compensate for all the Trekkies that were inevitably going to b***h about J.J. Abrams mucking up Star Trek and ruining the characters' original stories. So Into Darkness was playing off of that alternate timeline motif by paralleling the events that happened in Wrath of Khan (Kirk dying in the warp core instead of Spock, for example).

That doesn't give the movie any excuse for sucking though. But at least that part was pretty easy to explain away.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:12:49 PM by zelmo73 » Logged

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Bushma

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »

Be fair not EVERYTHING about it was terrible. It did have those two girls with the tails!

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

If you remember, in the first reboot they used the excuse of Spock altering time and creating a parallel universe when he got caught in the black hole to compensate for all the Trekkies that were inevitably going to b***h about J.J. Abrams mucking up Star Trek and ruining the characters' original stories.

Of course. But yet he seems to bend over backwards to shoe-horn little pieces of original Trek memorabilia into the reboot. Why is there a tribble in this movie? No reason, except JJ wanted to throw it in for Trekkies who liked "The Trouble with Tribbles".

Part of the "sin" of JJ's scripts is that he went to great lengths to excuse himself from having to stick to established Star Trek continuity, but then failed do anything original with that freedom.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:40:49 PM by Ted C » Logged

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »

To each his own.  I really enjoyed this one!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »

I'm with Indie on this one. I enjoyed it. I'm a huge Star Trek fan; still, when it comes to the new movies, as long as they don't bore me, I'm fairly good.

It is true they could have delivered a better scripted movie, but it had the required "peg" scenes that held up some of the more awkward ones. I want to see a ST movie with a script like a top-drawer James Bond film: fast, tight and loads of fun. (Actually, that sounds like a good date!)

And I take these new films to be like ST:TNG during the first season. That first season almost tanked the show with its endless retreads/reboots of old storylines from the original series. I don't think they want to go radical too fast with these movies, either. Hopefully the third one will make a major change so it can stand on its own 2 feet.

As long as they don't bring the Cloverfield alien into one of the movies....stupid, stupid ending to a decent movie.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:00:22 AM »

Haven't seen it on DVD/BD yet, but I watched it in the cinema and I honestly enjoyed it. Not a huge Star Trek-Fan, but I like most of the movies. Star Trek 6 might be my favourite after 2, so I liked the idea of combining those together with a twist. Also having two of my most favourite Actors in it (Cumberbatch and Urban) was just the cherry on the cake.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »

Well,maybe I'm just a fuddy duddy but I hated the first one so much that I refused to even give this one a chance.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

It's far from unwatchable. It bugs me more because I'm a Trek fan who has seen just about everything JJ used as source material, which makes me jaded about how he rather lazily spun things together. If I had less background, that aspect wouldn't bother me so much.

There's no excuse for the excessively long action sequences, though. They become tiresome and boring long before they end.

Archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »

I greatly enjoyed it as well, as I wrote in the Good Movies subforum.  Perhaps because I haven't had a lot of exposure to the original ST materials, and therefore had little foreknowledge or expectations of this and the previous movie? 

I've only seen a handful of original ST episodes, and my experience with the movies is limited to the first two or three, and I saw II and III only as a kid.  All I remember of them is getting the screaming heebie-jeebies when Khan put the slugs into the officers' ears, and Shatner woefully emoting as Spock lay dying in the core chamber.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:14:09 AM »

It's far from unwatchable. It bugs me more because I'm a Trek fan who has seen just about everything JJ used as source material, which makes me jaded about how he rather lazily spun things together. If I had less background, that aspect wouldn't bother me so much.

That's exactly why I went *D'OH* when I found out who the villain was.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Trek Into Darkness « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.