Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:26:33 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  More "Day the Clown Cried" footage found/ released « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More "Day the Clown Cried" footage found/ released  (Read 4420 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 07, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »

http://gawker.com/heres-a-peek-at-the-holocaust-clown-film-jerry-lewis-i-1103950199/1496606186/@tcberman

Footage from Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Cried, perhaps the most infamous unreleased film of all time, leaked online on Saturday. Lewis starred in and directed the film, which told the story of a German circus clown who was arrested by the Nazis and, as punishment, was ordered to lead children into the gas chambers of Auschwitz.

The behind-the-scenes footage includes several takes from the film, which was shot in the early 70s, plus an interview with Lewis in which the comedian discusses Charlie Chaplin's influence.

After several disastrous test screenings, Lewis decided the film was beyond repair and locked it away, promising to keep it hidden forever.

Most of it unfortunately is making of footage but there are some shots of Lewis in the clown outfit doing his type of ...uh... comedy. It looks more like a demented grindhouse movie than whatever it was supposed to be.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:52:31 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:35 PM »

More footage? I didn't realize any footage had been leaked previously.

Jerry must want people to see this after he's dead. He could have destroyed it rather than locking it away. I think he just doesn't want to face people while he's alive.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

The first 2 minutes of this one are the closest to an actual movie

http://gawker.com/heres-a-peek-at-the-holocaust-clown-film-jerry-lewis-i-1103950199
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »

which told the story of a German circus clown who was arrested by the Nazis and, as punishment, was ordered to lead children into the gas chambers of Auschwitz.

Buggedout

That would either be so depressing as to be unwatchable or so bungled it would be the funniest movie of all time.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »

That's why it's so infamous.

Small | Large
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »

As I understand it, from what Mr. Lewis has said, unless he has changed his mind, he does not even want people to see the film, even after he has died. Because once he is dead, he wants the total film to be destroyed, before anybody sees it.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »

As I understand it, from what Mr. Lewis has said, unless he has changed his mind, he does not even want people to see the film, even after he has died. Because once he is dead, he wants the total film to be destroyed, before anybody sees it.

Then he should destroy it now. He's leaving it up to chance. If he dies with instructions to destroy it it's almost certain that there will be a legal challenge. There are many cases in history where heirs refused to abide by the wishes of deceased authors that their unpublished works be destroyed.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »

Somewhere in the distance, a sleazy distributor is licking his lips and rubbing his hands together.

When I first heard of this film and heard about Lewis locking it away so no one could see it, I had a odd thought. What if he is telling everyone he has it locked away when he has really destroyed it? Makes sense. His fans would be angered that he destroyed a piece of his work. So...destroy it and tell people otherwise. No one will know the truth until he dies and, then, who cares what his fans think?

Still, if that movie IS locked away, it will get released after he dies. It has too much legend behind it for anyone to destroy it.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:11 AM »

Then he should destroy it now. He's leaving it up to chance. If he dies with instructions to destroy it it's almost certain that there will be a legal challenge. There are many cases in history where heirs refused to abide by the wishes of deceased authors that their unpublished works be destroyed.

What you say reminds me of a pioneering South African filmmaker named Pierre de Wet who stated that his films should remain in archival care and never be released to TV or on any home video format.*

*They're all available on DVD now.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  More "Day the Clown Cried" footage found/ released « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.