Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:50:55 PM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Phantom (1996) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Phantom (1996)  (Read 3634 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: January 11, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

Widely regarded as a total flop, I rather enjoyed this flick. Billy Zane actually made a decent hero and the action scenes were great. Treat Williams as bad guy Drax was simply amazing in his over the top scenery-eating.

Stuff I liked:

-The opening scene in the jungle, particularly the bit where the skeleton comes to live and kills one of the bad guys.
-The fact the bad guy with the gold tooth was played by Billy Zane's Back to the Future costar Casey Siemaszko.
-The scene of the Phantom being summoned by the drums. "Devil. Someone needs us." Epic.
-The truck chase and the part where the Phantom and the little boy are dangling off the bridge.
-The binocular microscope that's rigged to blind people when they look into it. It's the most impractical death trap ever, but I like it anyway.
-The bit where the Phantom busts into a women's dressing room by mistake. He made it classy somehow with how gentlemanly he was about his error. Smooth guy.
-The escape in the biplane.
-How self-aware the film was about the bad guys being incapable of hitting anything with their guns.
-David Proval. He makes any movie more awesome just by being in it.
-The scene where Drax kills that guy with the spear, then complains that he threw his arm out doing it and inspects where it hit the wall, and looks annoyed at the cut in the wood.
-Drax just having a joygasm about the skulls' power in the museum. He was like an excited little kid.
-There need to be more chase scenes with horses in cities.
-Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Kabai Sengh. Like David Proval, Mr. Tagawa improves any movie he's in.
-"Just ancient pirate talk for 'fire the cannon.'" BOOM!

Okay... I love this movie. It's cheesy as all hell, but it has an old-school charm to it that I like. Sue me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:42:47 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

My favorite part of this movie is this little dialogue exchange:

Pirate Guy (in impenatrable Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa accent):  You don haf da forf skull!  Withough it, you just wast-in you time!
Drax:  FOURTH SKULL!?!?  WHAT FOURTH SKULL!?!?

Brilliant.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

I agree, this is an overlooked movie with a very high fun-factor.  Thanks for the reminder, I will watch it again soon!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

And for the curious, he's the infamous killer microscope. You turn the knobs and razor blades come out:

This guy is screwed:

It reminds me of something Dr. Phibes would use.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »

And for the curious, he's the infamous killer microscope. You turn the knobs and razor blades come out:

This guy is screwed:

It reminds me of something Dr. Phibes would use.

They may have gotten the idea from HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (1959)

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

I actually saw this movie in a theater. Considering its fast box office fade, I may be one of only a few people who can make that claim.  TeddyR

I remember liking it well enough, but haven't seen it since so I recall very little of it now aside from a vague memory that the Phantom's purple costume looked kinda silly on an actual human being (what looks good on a comic strip page doesn't always translate to "real" life very well...), and that Kristy Swanson was hot, as usual.

Now that you've got me thinking about it again, maybe I should re-visit it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:42:29 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »

It is a fun enjoyable adventure romp.  I had heard of the Phantom character prior to the movie, but I love the back story.  That this family had been playing this character for centuries.  It gives the him a nice sense of legacy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:19:23 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »

Always circled around that one because I heard it was so bad. Guess I'll have to check it out in the near future.
I also don't have a problem with the character itself, because I watched Defenders of the Earth as a kid...I even own it on DVD and I still enjoy it from time to time.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Phantom (1996) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.