Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:04:01 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Legend of Hercules (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Legend of Hercules (2014)  (Read 5140 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »

Oh boy oh boy!  Barely into the new year and we got ourselves a true stinker on our hands here.  Introducing, The Legend of Hercules, a TV or direct to video movie disguised as a theatrical release!  Holy crap, does this bad boy look baaaaddd.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_legend_of_hercules/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0GMzQwO2l0

Just utterly amazing.  I first saw that trailer and thought: TV movie.  Just wow.

Here's a review from Brad Jones, aka Cinema Snob, on it after just seeing it with a friend:
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/midnight-screenings-the-legend-of-hercules-6717175

Who's seeing it?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
claws
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:25:05 AM »

Not me.

I'd say its still a bit early in the game but its shaping up to become Renny Harlin's weakest movie so far.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

I'll pass too. Even the previews make the effects look cheesy and fake. Yes, I know that a real actor couldn't swing around big masonry blocks on chains like that, but they could have made the effect look realer, like making the actor swing something heavy around and then super-imposing masonry blocks over them with CGI.  Thumbdown

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »

Renny Harlin, Scott Adkins - two names that would make me watch a movie, but this looks hideous.

Archivist

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »

Is this the one with Kellan Lutz, and the horribly bad trailer?

Small | Large

Um, yuck.

Scott Adkins is not doing himself any favours by appearing in movies like this.  His primary skillset is martial arts and stunts, so appearing as some fake-bearded king who seems to do no fighting at all isn't capitalizing on his talents.  I love his work in almost all of his movies, but this looks like a stinker.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

Scott Adkins is not doing himself any favours by appearing in movies like this.  His primary skillset is martial arts and stunts, so appearing as some fake-bearded king who seems to do no fighting at all isn't capitalizing on his talents.  I love his work in almost all of his movies, but this looks like a stinker.
Some reviews I read mentioned, that he would be the best part of the movie. Even though he isn't fighting, his presence alone seems to be entertaining enough. Wouldn't pay money to see it in theaters, but maybe a rental etc.

akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »

Why do a bunch of Greeks have British accents RAHADLKJAL;KDHL;KCHJLHALDYIOEHLIJH1#$#!@dsds   Hatred Hatred Hatred

It also seems about, oh, 13 or so years too late to be doing "Gladiator ... but with Hercules!"  Let's be fair and say they're ripping off something more recent:  "Spartacus: Blood and Sand ... with Hercules!"

And OHMYFREAKINGGOD what a***ole decided that leaping in slow-f**king-motion was such a badass stunt that it had to appear in every action movie ever made since at least the early 2000s?  It's enough to make me nostalgic for that STUPID thing that all 90s action movies did where the hero crossed his arms over his chest to shoot to the left with the gun in his right hand and vice-versa.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »

I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to see it. LOL! No, I have always been a big fan of anything Hercules (film, TV) (animated, live action.) Also I saw "Hercules" with Lou Ferrigno, and looking at the trailer for this one, it can't be any worst than that film. But that looks like "Citizen Kane" compared to its sequel "The Adventures of Hercules II," which came out two years later. That truly has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen. And I'll post my thoughts on the 2014 version after I see it. Maybe this weekend.
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »

I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to see it. LOL! No, I have always been a big fan of anything Hercules (film, TV) (animated, live action.) Also I saw "Hercules" with Lou Ferrigno, and looking at the trailer for this one, it can't be any worst than that film. But that looks like "Citizen Kane" compared to its sequel "The Adventures of Hercules II," which came out two years later. That truly has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen. And I'll post my thoughts on the 2014 version after I see it. Maybe this weekend.

Oh, I'll probably see this for the laughs.  However, I won't be paying to see it in the theater and it cheeses me off that something this crappy would be put in theaters at current ticket prices.  This should have been straight to video.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »

I love the Italian Lou Ferrigno Hercules movies! They're wild and cheesy. There's no way this steaming pile could be half as entertaining. I mean, can this Hercules throw a bear into space?

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:02 AM »

Why do a bunch of Greeks have British accents RAHADLKJAL;KDHL;KCHJLHALDYIOEHLIJH1#$#!@dsds   Hatred Hatred Hatred

Buggedout BuggedoutBounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »

Oh, I'll probably see this for the laughs.  However, I won't be paying to see it in the theater and it cheeses me off that something this crappy would be put in theaters at current ticket prices.  This should have been straight to video.

As the video review I posted said, "It's so nice that they put out the Asylum version into theaters for once."  That's what this movie is if you think about it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

Finally got to see it, and what everyone says about it is true, but I still enjoyed it.

Writing
Directing
Acting
. . . Probably should expect more, but they are no worse than the sword and sandal films of 50 years ago.

Action
. . .I appreciate the intent to make the tactics somewhat realistic, but when will they learn that slo-mo just slows down the action.
. . .And I could not help but compare the chase scenes on horseback to the same type of scenes in "Brave," and the animated "Brave" comes out better in this regard.

Characters
. . .Flashbacks to the '60's. Heroes still do not kill women. And no one kills the kid. Not evern the villain. The ancient Greeks must not have engaged in sex very often, or as soon as a child was born, they immediately became adults. Not many kids seen in the film.

Characterization
. . .The one thing I appreciated most about the film. The attempt to make the characters a little more complex and complicated than we have seen in the past.

And a plug for the upcoming "Pompeii." We'll see how it compares to this one. Though, as this is not the first film with Hercules, so "Pompeii" is the not the first film on "Pompeii" and the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. One which I like is 1935's "The Last Days of Pompeii" w/ Preston Foster as the hero, Basil Rathbone, in one of his best roles, as Pontus Pilate, and the participation of Willis O'Brien.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Legend of Hercules (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.