Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:02:09 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  INDY'S TEN BEST AND TEN WORST OF 2013 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: INDY'S TEN BEST AND TEN WORST OF 2013  (Read 3009 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »

This is the first time I have ever kept track of all the movies I watched in a given year.  Many of these are old releases, and some are repeat viewings, but the first thing that crosses my mind as I look over the list I have kept on this site is "Good grief!  I watch WAY too many movies!"  Anyway, scrolling through my list, here are my ten best and ten worst for the year.

BEST (in the order I watched them):

1. CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR:  I missed the first 10 minutes of this one, but was  very impressed with the rest.  A neat bit of history wrapped in a highly entertaining film.
2. SINISTER:  This is probably the scariest movie that I watched all year.  Some scenes were absolutely blood-curdling!
3.  ARGO: I am still not sure it deserved "Best Picture," but it was pretty darned good.
4.  THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY:  I had seen this one in the theaters, but I also bought the DVD when it came out.  A very solid movie, IMO much better than THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG.
5. LINCOLN:  Probably my favorite movie of the last 10 years, I watched this with a couple of my history classes.
6.  DARK SKIES: A wonderfully creepy alien abduction movie, probably the best of this genre I have ever seen.
7.  THE CALL: Hallie Berry puts out a wonderful performance as a 911 operator trying to rescue an abducted teen.
8.  42: The story of Jackie Robinson, pure brilliance with Harrison Ford in a strong supporting role.
9.  WOULD YOU RATHER: Jeffrey Combs chews up the landscape as a sadistic millionaire who forces a group of unfortunates to compete to the death for a chance to solve all their financial problems.
10. FRANKENSTEIN'S ARMY: Mega-creepy World War II horror film with a German madman making an army of twisted, half-man half machine monsters to fight the Russians.  Some of the best visual effects of any horror film I've ever seen.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: (Since I ran out of top ten spots before I ran out of favorite films!)  STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS,  THE CONJURING, DEAD IN TOMBSTONE, BYZANTIUM, MAN OF STEEL,  RED 2, KICK ASS 2, WHITE HOUSE DOWN, PARKLAND, and CASSADAGA.

Hall of Shame:

1. THIRTY NIGHTS OF PARANORMAL ACTIVITY WITH THE DEVIL INSIDE THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO: All you need to know about why Hollywood can't make a decent parody anymore.  Awful!!!
2.  THE MONSTER FROM BIKINI BEACH: Tries to recreate the cheesy fun of HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP.  Fails.
3.  BATH SALT ZOMBIES: Pretty much what the title implies.  painfully bad.
4.  H.P. LOVECRAFT'S COOL AIR:  Worst Lovecraft adaptation EVER!  SOOOOOO BORING!!!!!!!!
5.  DJANGO UNCHAINED: Thinly disguised reverse racism combined with gross historical inaccuracy.  I can't believe this was nominated for best picture.
6.  ZOMBIE ASS: TOILET OF THE DEAD:  Another Japanese film that leaves you scratching your head and saying "WHAT did I just watch???"
7. SHARKNADO:  Bad in a good way.  I haven't laughed so hard in ages!!
8. ZOMBIE LOVER:  Incomprehensible, badly done British zombie flick.
9.  FAMILY PROPERTY:  Just avoid this film.  It's too late for me but you can save yourselves!!!
10.  BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO:  Spent the whole movie waiting for something, anything to happen.  Nothing did!!!

DISHONORABLE MENTION:  BEAST: A MONSTER AMONG MEN, HIDDEN IN THE WOODS, THE RIPPING, TOAD ROAD

Now, shall we start a 2014 thread?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

I'll have to check out Frankenstein's Army sometime, sounds interesting.

And now you can get zombiefied by using bath salts?  Yikes!  I assume moisturizing bath beads are still safe though...right?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

5.  DJANGO UNCHAINED: Thinly disguised reverse racism combined with gross historical inaccuracy.  I can't believe this was nominated for best picture.
I'm not bothered about historical innacuracy. It was just a bad film, period. I'm a big enough Tarantino fan that I can cut him some slack here and there but Django Unchained was just self indulgent tripe

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »

I always keep forgetting to check out Frankenstein's Army. Thanks for the reminder.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:49:09 AM »

I always keep forgetting to check out Frankenstein's Army. Thanks for the reminder.
Same here...but the "To watch"-Pile is just getting bigger and bigger TeddyR

Gst0395
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

Wasn't Django Unchained really just anti-slavery rather than anti-white? For me, I suppose I'd find it a good action flick, especially considering I have enjoyed other Tarantino works.

And on the subject of Argo, I'm quite surprised at how Ben Affleck has improved his career, most notably as a director. Prior, I only heard things about how he had been a sub-par actor in flops like Gigli and Daredevil (which I found alright for the most part). He was especially a target for ridicule on South Park at the time.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »

My response:

Good:

I liked most of Argo, other than it's fascination with Hollywood. The manufactured "this all needs to happen right now" ending, clumsy. Enjoyable movie, not great. I feel it only won "Best Picture" because Hollywood loves itself.

Lincoln: Loved it. I'm glad they did not focus on the assassination, but the politics of the time. Brave decisions, albeit decisions not always made for the most selfless of reasons, should be celebrated.

42. I liked it, but not as in depth as I was hoping. Seemed simplified.

Bad:

Django Unchained: Quite liked it, but certainly a step down from Inglourius Basterds. I'm hoping we'll see more frank discussions of the unrelenting awfulness of slavery, but you know how these things go.

Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead: I see Noboru Iguchi's point, he's the Lloyd Kaufman of Japan. That being said, I don't want to see either's movies. Haven't watched this, probably never will.

Berberian Sound Studio: Loved the explication of sound work in movies. Especially in regards to eurotrash '70s films. Susperia is one of my favorite movies in regards to sound design. (In all other aspects it's kind of awful.) Not a completely successful movie, it is kind of boring. But in that respect it is very similar to Beyond the Black Rainbow, another kind of boring movie with amazing sound design.

That's all I have to say.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »

Wasn't Django Unchained really just anti-slavery rather than anti-white?

Yes.   And there's a pretty strong argument to be made that Schultz is really the most heroic character.  But if there's one thing Straight White Males love to do, it's declare themselves the real victims in any given scenario.

What I saw last year
The Good -
BLACKFISH
PACIFIC RIM (yeah, I liked it.  You can all suck it.)
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (see above.)
THE ICEMAN
ROBOT & FRANK
TRANCE
THE CONJURING
OBLIVION
REDEMPTION
KILL LIST

The OK -
EVIL DEAD
THE EAST
STOKER
MUD
JACK REACHER
THE CALL
STAND-UP GUYS
AFTER EARTH

The Lousy -
DEAD MAN DOWN
MAMA
THE GUILT TRIP
IDENTITY THIEF
GATSBY
HIT&RUN
BACHELORETTE
ALEX CROSS
THIS IS 40

Still need to see - HER, WALTER MITTY, 12YAS, THE HOBBIT, WOLF OF WALL STREET, AMERICAN HUSTLE. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »

5.  DJANGO UNCHAINED: Thinly disguised reverse racism combined with gross historical inaccuracy.  I can't believe this was nominated for best picture.
I'm not bothered about historical innacuracy. It was just a bad film, period. I'm a big enough Tarantino fan that I can cut him some slack here and there but Django Unchained was just self indulgent tripe
I think that's how I felt about INGLORIOUS BASTERDS.  Despite some truly great moments, I was left offended, annoyed, horrified, revolted... and if I misspelled that damned title, I'll correct its errors to make them correctly wrong.   Twirling Lookingup Drink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  INDY'S TEN BEST AND TEN WORST OF 2013 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.