Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:18:08 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  August @ 366 Weird Movies: RUBBER, RAT PFINK A BOO BOO, MAGIC CHRISTIAN, more! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: August @ 366 Weird Movies: RUBBER, RAT PFINK A BOO BOO, MAGIC CHRISTIAN, more!  (Read 5100 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 12, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »

RUBBER (2010): Certified weird! "What emerges from this collision of slasher-movie spoof and Theater of the Absurd is the most clever, original, and hilarious movie mash-up in recent memory."

RAT PFINK A BOO BOO (1966): "A crazy title is no guarantee of an entertaining flick, but Rat Pfink A Boo Boo obtained its odd moniker unintentionally and, for once, the sheer lunacy of the movie matches the name."-AE

THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN (1969): " The first hour is uneven, but things get manic in the last half hour, when Grand pitches a cruise aboard the 'Magic Christian' as the event of the season for the stiff-upper-lip crowd. Once aboard, the dandies find the trip a bourgeois nightmare populated by male exotic dancers, pot-puffing ship physicians, transvestites, a galley full of slave girls, a guy running around in a monkey suit, and a vampire."

GALLINO, THE CHICKEN SYSTEM (2012): "... if you have a fetish for seeing women deep-throat chicken drumsticks, this is the movie you’ve been waiting for your whole life."

THE SORCERERS (1967): "After she forces Mike into hedonism, theft, and murder, a battle of wills between Estelle and her husband leads into Being John Malkovich (1999) and Scanners (1981) territory."-AE

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »

Summer blockbuster season is cooling down, but we're heating up the weirdness!

FROM BEYOND (1986): "From Beyond has to be the pinkest horror movie ever made. I don’t know what the Beyond is like, but based on the light that streams from its world into ours when the barrier between the two is breached, I am guessing that it’s a gay disco."

HEAVY TRAFFIC (1973): " The drawings are Hanna-Barbera Saturday morning cartoon quality, but are inventively grotesque and sometimes even surreal (as when Jesus hops by on a cross to rat out Michael’s dad to a bullet ridden Godfather who’s just finished slurping a bowl of pasta peppered with tiny people)."

DEADBALL (2011): "[Tak]  Sakaguchi manages to keep some kind of dignity in the film, and considering the script requires him to fighting a transvestite using a salt-shaker full of MSG as a weapon, that's a testament to the actor's inherent heroic charisma."

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE (1974): "... strands from 'Frankenstein,' 'The Picture of Dorian Grey,' 'The Devil and Daniel Webster,' and Psycho are woven into a glittering glam horror extravaganza staging of 'Faust.'"-AE

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »

Since we're already well into September I should probably finish this up!

ALLEGRO NON TROPPO (1976): "While Fantasia is doubtlessly the more impressive and (I think) the better work, there's something charming about Allegro Non Troppo's smaller scale and its cheerful willingness to stand in the giant's shadow."

STREET TRASH (1987): "The longer the movie goes on, the less sense it makes, and the better it gets. Although it is filled with weird details—the chief baddie’s femur-knife, a ‘Nam flashback-hallucination sequence, a guy running around with his penis cut off–Street Trash‘s agenda is more to gross you out than to weird you out."

PHANTASM: A PSYCHOGEOGRAPHY: "My angle here: that the little suburban universe of Phantasm reflects a state of mind… particularly, that of main character Michael, the thirteen-year old boy who has recently lost his parents and is in constant fear of abandonment by his older brother. While I don’t think the events of the plot are meant to fit together neatly, and I don’t think they’re engineered for closure or explanation (the ghouls are short because of a gravitational difference? Really?), I do think the film makes a lot of sense when mapped to a certain terrain of terrified adolescent psychology."-JM

FANTASIA (1940): " Guaranteed, you will not find blue fairies, Russian Cossacks, pink fairies, waltzing flowers, orange fairies, or rhythmic goldfish mating with fairies (?) and swimming through an erotic Busby Berkeleyesque aquatic Arabic dance sequence at your local ballet company anytime soon."-AE

ANTIVIRAL (2012): "Doomed protagonists peering into mysteries they’d be better off not finding the answers to, painful hallucinatory bodily transformations, beautiful women with hidden gynecological deformities: Anitviral‘s got that genuine Cronenberg phenotype."

TORMENTED (2012): "Leporiphobes beware: Tormented (literal title: Rabbit Horror) features the creepiest extra-dimensional cuddly-wuddly bunny since Frank from Donnie Darko."

RETURN TO BABYLON (2013): "Far from a mere nostalgia piece, Return to Babylon sports a beautiful ensemble cast, an authentic love of craft, and almost surreal, Catholic reverence for Hollywood’s silent era, which makes this Canawati’s own take, as opposed to [Kenneth] Anger’s 'dripping with cynicism' version of Hollywood Babylon."-AE

THE WICK: DISPATCHES FROM THE ISLE OF WONDER (2013): "Viewers will lean something about the run-down neighborhood of Hackney Wick, its struggling artists, and the effect that the Olympics had on the area, although all of those subjects ultimately get slighted. John and Tom demonstrate the spirit of the Wick by doing rather than by telling, and the biggest audience for this film is anyone interested in DIY art, the creative process, or the pains and passions of microbudget filmmaking."

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »

RUBBER (2010): Certified weird! "What emerges from this collision of slasher-movie spoof and Theater of the Absurd is the most clever, original, and hilarious movie mash-up in recent memory."

Sorry to bump but if anyone loved this film they should really watch WRONG (2012) which is his 2nd big film, it has a unique style to it much like Rubber had it's own unique style. Very odd script, both of these definitely a must watch for weird film lovers. When Rubber came out I was saying 'I am looking forward to great work from this director' and he delivered.

THE SORCERERS (1967): "After she forces Mike into hedonism, theft, and murder, a battle of wills between Estelle and her husband leads into Being John Malkovich (1999) and Scanners (1981) territory."-AE

I've seen this, cool mind control film. I don't understand the comparison films but then again I haven't seen any of them for a while

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

Sorry to bump but if anyone loved this film they should really watch WRONG (2012) which is his 2nd big film, it has a unique style to it much like Rubber had it's own unique style. Very odd script, both of these definitely a must watch for weird film lovers. When Rubber came out I was saying 'I am looking forward to great work from this director' and he delivered.

I reviewed it here and it came in at #5 in our Weirdest Movies of the Year list.

I've seen this, cool mind control film. I don't understand the comparison films but then again I haven't seen any of them for a while

I can't help: I've seen the two comparison films, but I haven't seen THE SORCERERS.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  August @ 366 Weird Movies: RUBBER, RAT PFINK A BOO BOO, MAGIC CHRISTIAN, more! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.