Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:08:45 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What things scared you as a kid? Or still do as an adult? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: What things scared you as a kid? Or still do as an adult?  (Read 21322 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »

Now that I have joined this forum, Trevor's Undies scare the hell out of me. :)

*Rubs hands together with glee*(I always have a tin handy  Wink ) Another victim!! Yes! TeddyR TeddyR Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »

As a kid I was freaked by Event Horizon (1997)

My review is on the submitted reader reviews child board: let me know what you think.  Smile

The bed never felt so good, but I slept with the light on that night

My 11 year old self felt exactly the same

I think there's something to be said for sci-fi horror, it's possible that I am a fan of the genre because of this film. If this film was set in a church, abandoned mental hospital, etc etc it would not be as scary - the fact that this ship turns up after so long is in itself freaky. Also the concept that 'hell' could be some kind of extra-dimensional place freaked me the hell out (similar to Matter or Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks, I forget which been meaning to re-read)

Event Horizon is a truly great film, way ahead of its’ time and one that is winning a late but well-deserved revival and recognition on DVD……the film archivist that I am would however like to kick the film’s producers up the bum for destroying the edited footage instead of preserving it.

I can't remember if it's a 15 or 18 in the UK, I suspect 15. It annoys me that people cut out things just to keep the rating down. When I watched the Prometheus outtakes it was all just sex and drinking as far as I can remember - absolutely ridiculous, if the scene aides the story then DO NOT cut it out. I was not aware of any Event Horizon cuts but it really wouldn't surprise me.

The one thing ~ aside from the gory subject matter of Paul W S Anderson’s film ~ that disturbs me is how everyone’s eyes in the film seem to look, as though they were mirrors

Gore and visual FX in this film always gives me the creeps but I think in hindsight the pacing of the film is the worst thing for scare factor (like the prelude of the recording before they even get there and the bizarre video logs which would seem cliché and cheesy these days, maybe even back then I dunno). I feel when I watch EH that you are actually alone on that ship, the suspense is epic.

I have seen much better films probably even better horrors (horror is usually a lame genre of film imo, once you've seen Gasper Noe films or A Serbian Film SAW/general gore is laughable) but EH sticks in my mind for the cast, the pacing, the fx, the cool spinny thing (lol) and the general atmosphere of the film. It seems like a lot of films but isn't I guess is what I'm saying.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

The first time I ever watched JEEPERS CREEPERS that movie scared the crap out of me.  Especially when they drive by the abandoned church and see the Creep dumping a body down the old shaft.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »

The sun. If you stare at it, it blinds you. If you spend too much time beneath it it burns you. Its flares cruelly disrupt the broadcast entertainment we all cherish. It's blamed for skin cancer, global warming, the lifeless state of Mercury and Venus, and one day it's going to go supernova and reduce our solar system to a toaster cracklings. I keep saying, we should destroy it before it gets the jump on us. I mean seriously, would you actually miss it all that much?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:42 AM »

The grim voice of the announcers for horror film trailers would freak me out when I was young, especially when it came to them stating that the movie was rated R.  Same goes for cable rating bumpers.
Good ol' Don Lafontaine! (r.i.p.)
Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »

The grim voice of the announcers for horror film trailers would freak me out when I was young, especially when it came to them stating that the movie was rated R.  Same goes for cable rating bumpers.
Good ol' Don Lafontaine! (r.i.p.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxuownGif0

Oh man, did that one take me back, brother! Staying up late on Friday and Saturday nights watching either Creature Features on WNEW 5 NY or Chiller Theatre on WPIX 11 NY and the horror movie trailers they displayed. And of course, these great trailers. Another trailer that scared me (but fascinated me at the same time) was this famous one that we all remember well:

Small | Large

NOTE: The end trailers are the European ones where DOTD was known as "Zombie".  
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

To be honest, I always thought The Wizard of Oz was scary.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
claws
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »

I've read many Stephen King and other horror, but only one book managed to actually scare me as a young adult:

The first chapter is a real hair-raiser, and after that it was impossible to put the book down. Funny thing is, when I gave the book to friends and family to read everybody experienced the same scary feeling.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »

Oh man, did that one take me back, brother! Staying up late on Friday and Saturday nights watching either Creature Features on WNEW 5 NY or Chiller Theatre on WPIX 11 NY and the horror movie trailers they displayed. And of course, these great trailers. Another trailer that scared me (but fascinated me at the same time) was this famous one that we all remember well:

Small | Large

NOTE: The end trailers are the European ones where DOTD was known as "Zombie".  

[/quote]
Hell yeah, now yer talkin'!
A couple more "No One Under 17 Will Be Admitted.." that brought me chills as a kid:

ZOMBIE (aka ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS and ZOMBI II)
ZOMBIE (1979) Trailer for the North American release of Lucio Fulci's zombie classic

PIECES
Pieces Trailer Small | Large

And the eyeball-carrying scenes from HOUSE OF PSYCHTIC WOMEN/BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL used to really get to me.  Still fairly unpleasant.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

This illustration scared me green as a little kid; today, I'd love to own a one-sheet of it, if they exist.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »

My mother and grandfather made me very paranoid around dragonflies.  They told me, when I was a kid, if you talked too much around them, they'd sew your lips shut. 

It would be cool if they actually did that  BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Bella
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »

To be honest, I always thought The Wizard of Oz was scary.
So do I. Not only the Wicked Witch, but those Monkees scared the living Daylights out of me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What things scared you as a kid? Or still do as an adult? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.