Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:16:08 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The 2014 Oscar nominees have been announced. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 2014 Oscar nominees have been announced.  (Read 6955 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 16, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »

This article contains the full list of nominees. While I really don't care that much at all about the Oscars, this year's list is very diverse, well rounded and quite good in my opinion.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-complete-list-nominees-671296

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:12:51 PM »

Wow, the comments section on that link is a special kind of stupid.

Stray observations:
No BLACKFISH? You suck, Academy.
HER deserved more.
So.....combined total of Oscar nominations for Bradley Cooper and Jonah Hill: 4
Combined total of Oscar nominations for Peter Lorre, Joseph Cotten, Donald Sutherland,  Steve Buscemi, Willem Dafoe, Sam Rockwell, Alan Rickman, and John Goodman: 0
They're just nominating Roger Deakins out of spite now, aren't they.

I'm guessing everything's gonna get divided up between GRAVITY and HUSTLE - except Best Actor which is looking more and more like it's going to McConnaughey. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »

Pretty predictable choices here pretty much in line with what we see at the golden globes. While I think Dallas Buyers Club and Captain Philips were good films I don't see them as being best picture calibre at all. American Hustle is a film I really dislike and I don't feel deserves any nominations whatsoever. Getting a nomination for such a terrible cluttered script is the kind of thing that makes me not even want to pay attention to the Oscars as noms have as much to do with campaigning and wining/dining the academy than it does actual merit. Biggest oversight for me would be Greta Gerwig for Frances Ha, now I know this was a small film and not really the kind to get Oscar love but she was really fantastic here. Here are my personal picks.

Best Picture-Wolf Of Wall Street or 12 Years a Slave

Best Director-Alfonso Cuaron-Gravity

Best Actor-Chiwitel or Dicaprio.

Best Actress-Cate Blanchett Blue Jasmine.

Best Supporting Actor-Michael Fasbender 12 years

Best Supporting Actress-Julia Roberts August Ossage County

Best Original Screenplay-Nebraska

Best Adapted Screenplay-Before Midnight

Best Cinematography-Gravity or Prisoners

All technical/sound awards-Gravity 

messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

As long as DiCaprio gets his for Best Actor I'm alright with it. Don't care much about the rest.

Bella
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »

As long as DiCaprio gets his for Best Actor I'm alright with it. Don't care much about the rest.
Leo should get the nod this year.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »

I hope Roger Deakins finally cracks it this year - I think this is his eleventh Oscar nomination? Yikes.  Buggedout

The one nomination that made me  BounceGiggle was Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa for Makeup!  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »

The one nomination that made me  BounceGiggle was Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa for Makeup!  TeddyR TeddyR

To be fair, at least the makeup in BG looked realistic and took some effort. THE LONE RANGER getting nominated in that same category was just stupid -- slap some greasepaint and a dead bird on Johnny Depp = better makeup than THE HOBBIT.   Lookingup Lookingup Lookingup

I would've liked it if PACIFIC RIM had gotten some technical noms but I suppose it's a moot point b/c GRAVITY's going to win in all those categories anyway. 

Fire walk with me
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »

It's a pity neither Robert Redford nor Daniel Brühl are nominated for their roles. Both did a really good job...especially Brühl as Niki Lauda in Rush.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

I'm surprised there wasn't any nomination for Mud, which I heard was a hell of good movie this year.

Also, I'm surprised by Wolf of Street's nominations.  Sure, it's by Martin Scorsese, but that's really felt like a movie they would ignore since it's so over the top.

Finally, no other nods for Frozen or technical noms for Oz: The Great and Powerful?  Lame!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »

I'm surprised there wasn't any nomination for Mud, which I heard was a hell of good movie this year.

Aside from the acting, it really wasn't.

Fire walk with me
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

Well, my pick for best film of 2013 was "The World's End" with my 2nd favorite being "The Wolf of Wall Street".  TongueOut

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »

Mud was fantastic, but I think it got left out because it was technically a 2012 film despite getting a 2013 theatrical. Agree with Torgo that Wolf of Wall Street is among the best films of 2013 (my 1# by a mile or a km because i'm Canadian).
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »

To be fair, at least the makeup in BG looked realistic and took some effort. THE LONE RANGER getting nominated in that same category was just stupid -- slap some greasepaint and a dead bird on Johnny Depp = better makeup than THE HOBBIT.   Lookingup Lookingup Lookingup

I would've liked it if PACIFIC RIM had gotten some technical noms but I suppose it's a moot point b/c GRAVITY's going to win in all those categories anyway. 

At first, I thought the chances of "The Lone Ranger" winning was somewhere between 0 and none, but looking at its competition, only 2 more films nominated, it may not be the odds on favorite to win, but its odds of winning just went up.

Pleased with most of the acting nominations, though I do think Emma Thompson who played P. L. Travers in "Saving Mr. Banks" got royally screwed this year. A very difficult role to play, as the character was basically unlikable, and if Emma did not make the character likable, she at least made the character understandable.

Though, the most interesting category--to me--this year is Best Song, as the Golden Globe winner in that category was "Please Mr. Kennedy" from "Inside Llewyn Davis," which is not even nominated for an Oscar. Which probably puts "Let It Go" from "Frozen" as the odds on favorite to win this year.

And the odds on favorite to win Best Animated Film.

Though, the more interesting category--again to me--is Best Animated Short Subject with its nomination of "Get a Horse," which is a throwback to the old school black-and-white, rubber hose style of animation of 80 and more years ago.

But, we shall see what we shall see, with the understanding that the best does not always win in each category.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »

Figures are in millions of dollars.

American Hustle
10 nominations $11.73 per nomination

Gravity
10 nominations $25.86 per nomination

12 Years a Slave
9 nominations $4.54 per nomination

Captain Phillips
6 nominations $17.62 per nomination

Dallas Buyers Club
6 nominations $3.1 per nomination

Nebraska
6 nominations $1.63 per nomination

Her
5 nominations $3.14 per nomination

The Wolf of Wall Street
5 nominations $18.22 per nomination

Philomena
4 nominations $6.075 per nomination

Now compare this 9 films nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture to "Frozen."

Frozen
2 nominations  $381.7 per nomination

And that does not include . . .
#1 best selling album
#1 best selling children's book
#1 best selling limited edition doll(s)
#2 best selling app

Nor the . . .
upcoming theme park attraction
upcoming Broadway musical
and the Norway tours to the Norwegian areas that inspired "Frozen."

Okay! What does all this mean?

1st It does not mean that the people who nominate the films for Oscars nor the general film going public are better at picking what is best. (Actually, being the egotist that I am. I think I am better than them.) What it does mean is that I can remember a time when there was some agreement between the two, or the top grossing films of the year also were the films that got the most Oscar nominations. That is no longer true.

2nd Entertainment is a crazy business and not for the faint of heart, and while the filmmakers responsible for "Frozen" thought it would do well at the box office. None of them would have guessed how well it has done.

3rd What would Hollywood rather have each year? A "Nebraska" or a "Frozen?" Or I have $1.63 in one hand and $234.17 in the other hand. All other things being equal, which hand would you take? That's what I thought.

4th Is "12 Years a Slave" a "bad" film because no one--relatively speaking--wanted to see it? No, of course not. But most critics, who like the film, would not call it a "bad" film, because, in comparison to most of the other films no one wanted to see it. On the other hand, take a film that critics dislike, and no one wants to see, they will call it a "bad" film, because no one wants to see it. Which is why I do not pay much attention to what most critifcs say.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The 2014 Oscar nominees have been announced. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.