Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:41 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The 2014 KING OF THE NERDS thread!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The 2014 KING OF THE NERDS thread!!!  (Read 7476 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:25 PM »

I discovered this show last year and it spoke to my soul most profoundly! Unfortunately, I joined it about three episodes in.
This year I was determined to watch it from the very beginning, and tonight I began the journey with an intrepid crew of 11 eager nerds, and the show's amazing hosts, "Lewis" and "Booger" from the REVENGE OF THE NERDS movie franchise.

The candidates are an interesting mix - several rocket scientists, an internationally renowned Pokémon champion, a historian, a veteran WOW gamer, an inorganic chemist, and a couple of engineers. 

The first Nerd War was determined by the first person to get voted out picking the winning team (what's more nerdy than being the first one kicked off, after all?).  Once the winning team was chosen, they picked one person from the purple team to go to tonight's nerd-off, while the purple team chose the other competitor for themselves.  The winner stays in the game, the loser goes straight home.

The yellow team chose the purple team's captain, an engineer named Chris, while the purps chose the girl who had joined the team last, a cute blonde Japanophile named Kelsey. 

The Nerd-off was spectacular - the two contestants donned capes and mounted a flying broom, then had to drop potion bottles into flaming cauldrons as they passed over them.  Kelsey was the loser, a shame because she was the cutest female there - although she had an INCREDIBLY annoying, Fran Drescher-style voice.  Now the teams are down to five players each, and next week the competition begins in earnest!

I can't wait!!!

Who's with me?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »

Tonight's episode was AWESOME!  This is the first time that the two teams have gone head-to-head in a true Nerd War, and it was a good one.  The Purple Team (the Titans of Rigel) and the Yellow Team (Midas Touch Attack) were each challenged to build a science fair volcano, with a back story for their presentation.  The Titans chose to do a dramatic presentation on the aftermath of a supervolcano eruption under Yellowstone National Park that destroyed most of the northern U.S., while Midas Touch did a lab-coat presentation on "The Physics of Mount Doom".  The judges were a 19 year old National Science Fair champion, the gal who plays Amy Felton Fowler on BIG BANG THEORY (who, incidentally, has a PhD in Phsyics!) and none other than Bill Nye the Science Guy!  The Titans won when Midas Touch blew their presentation, meaning that two players from Midas Touch would have to go head to head in a Nerd-Off.  The winning team chooses one member of the opposing team to go to the Nerd-Off, while the losers also have to pick one of their own.  The Yellow Team voted their most obnoxious member, a blowhard named Zack, into the Nerd-Off, while the Purples voted for a popular member of Midas Touch, a rather nice Nerd named Josh.  The Nerd-Off this week was the Alien Autopsy Challenge!  Unfortunately, after his whole team voted to send him to the elimination round, Zack won the challenge and has returned to make their lives miserable for another week!  I can't wait for the next episode!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »

This week's Nerd Off was a rip. The alien autopsy challenge should have gone longer than to three points. Too great a concept for a five-minute payoff. I was not pleased with the realm of Nerdvana.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »

I think they were trying to trim points.  It should have gone to five organs.  But I love the statues outside the front porch of Nerdvana!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:02:17 AM »

KING OF THE NERDS continues to provide high drama!!! Tonight's Nerd War involved LARPing (Live Action Role Play). The yellow team (Midas Touch Attack) continues to self-destruct thanks to the jerkish behavior of their team captain, Zach - but they still managed to put out a decent performance. The purple team (Titans of Rigel) put together a nice little production with a cool script and great costuming, and won by a narrow vote from the three guest judges. Two members of Midas Touch had to go to the Nerd-off - Zach, unanimously selected by his own team, and Mary Kate, a NASA engineer voted in by the Titans. The Nerd-Off was a life sized board game called Battle Hammer, kind of like a large version of Battleship - but you can move your units around the board. Each player had to find and destroy 26 of the other team's units, and it came down to a very close contest - but Zach managed to destroy Mary-Kate's last archer, and live on for another week in Nerdvana. The Titans are setting pretty at the moment - but what kind of monster are they creating if Zach defeats all of his own team members before taking them on?
 I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:54:33 PM »

Since none of you seem to be watching, I guess it is my duty to keep you informed. Here goes:

This year's KING OF THE NERDS is even better than last year's! Tonight's episode rocked! Team Midas Touch Attack has been cursed with the presence of Zach, the cancer of Nerdvana. Twice he has been voted into the Nerd-off by his own team, and twice he has prevailed, coming back more bitter and angry each time.
 Tonight, at the beginning of the Episode, Team Titans of Rigel had five members, while Midas Touch Attack was down to three. So Bobby and Curtis, the hosts, forced the Titans to draw coins from a sack. The person who drew the golden coin would have to join the other team. Unfortunately, the first person to draw got the golden coin - Katie, the purple-haired robotics expert. So she leaves the dominant team and goes to the imploding team - just in time for the challenge that involves her area of expertise! Tonight's Nerd War - ROBOT DODGE BALL!!

Each team constructed four robots, which were judged on the basis of both form and function. The team whose robots were found lacking had to scrub one robot from the final round. The judges were a guy who runs a special effects studio, and a giant robot. Team Midas Touch was found to have the suckiest robots, and one of theirs was then stomped to bits by the giant robot judge. Then the players took turns trying to peg the other team's robots with the dodge ball. Unfortunately, although Zach's throws were lethal, when he was given the remote control in the final round, he managed to get their robot stuck on the edge of the playing area, where it was easily picked off by the Titans. Midas Touch Attack loses - AGAIN!!!! So the four team members voted to send Zach to the Nerd-Off (again!) - except for Zach, who voted to send Katie, swearing she was a spy for the other team. The Titans voted to send redheaded organic chemist Nicole to the nerd-off. A good choice, since she is the stabilizing force on the other team and the only one who can calm Zach down and get him under control.

Tonight's Nerd-Off was a game of Zombie KerPlunk! Instead of pulling sticks out and seeing how many balls you can cause to fall, the contestants pulled long wooden rails out of a chain link cage. The rails were holding up several hundred fake body parts, which would drop down below to feed a horde of ravening zombies in the pit. First one to drop 150 body parts loses. Nicole caused a small avalanche early on, and fought back to the point that Zach won only by six severed limbs. So Nicole rides off into the sunset (to be trampled by a giant robot foot) while Zach lives on to poison his team for another week. I love this show!!!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

I think last night's "switch teams" draw might have been fixed. They should have let everyone draw and hold their hands closed and reveal at once. It seemed suspicious that Katie was the one who stood to shake things up the most by changing sides, she drew first and drew the one gold piece? I went, hmmmm, on that. (Love her purple hair, though!)

All that said, I didn't see the first season but I am enjoying this one a lot. I can't believe how lucky Zack has been! The kid has zero social skills, is irritating everyone around him, he makes you wanna b***hslap him upside the head, and yet he just keeps surviving every attempt to be rid of him! It makes for great television for sure.

Also may I add on the subject of Nerd Bot: I WANT ONE!!!!!!

PS I have read that the entire series is filmed in a week. Wonder if that's true?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »

Not sure about that.  I need to go to the TBS site and read up on it some more.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:29 PM »

Farewell, Katie. You were my favorite nerd!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »

I am heartbroken!!!!  She was the one I wanted to win.  The vile Zach is still there, and Jack the weakling managed to spell a fairly obscure Star Wars term correctly even though he has NEVER SEEN A SINGLE FREAKING FILM IN THE FRANCHISE! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »

I remain interested in the series but am fast reaching the point where I don't care who gets voted off or even who wins, though if it is Zack whose posterior comes to rest on the mythical Throne, I will feel disgusted. Kayla, the one girl left, seems worthy of the crown, and Xander, though mostly a do-nothing, may have what it takes to slide under the radar and be the last nerd standing. This episode's Nerd Off with the shooting range made me want to set something like that up next time my sci-fi loving friends Rob and Tara come over. Wouldn't really be that hard. I'm going to have to check out season one, even if they did----with zero spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!---begin this season showing who won last year.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »

I am glad Brian survived last week's Nerd-Off.  He is the one I am rooting for to make it now - he's a historian, and I have to root for the home team.
If you watch season one, I think you will agree with me that Genevieve got ROBBED!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

As much as I disliked Zack I was sorry to see him go because he was a nerd everyone loved to hate, and after surviving so many nerd-offs (?nerds-off?) he arguably had a case to make for being the most deserving person to plant his rump in the Throne of Games. Hard to believe it all wraps up this week.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

It's been a fun season no doubt, but I was NOT sorry to see Zach go.  Of the ones left, I am rooting for Brian or the remaining girl - for some reason her name is a blank with me.  But honestly, I like all four remaining contestants.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »

And KAYLA is now the KING OF THE NERDS!
Long may she reign!  (At least this year, the RIGHT nerd won out of the final two!!)

Although it does strike me as a bit weird that there has not yet been a male King!!!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The 2014 KING OF THE NERDS thread!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.