Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:59:05 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  True Detective « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 3828 times)
Celx
Dedicated Viewer

« on: March 03, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »

Any one else here watching this excellent show?

If so any thoughts on who the "Yellow King" is? Do you like the show, or despise it? And is anyone else shocked by Woody Harrelson, and Matthew Mcconaughey's gritty performances as conflicted cops, musing nihilistic existentialist philosophies?

Lastly if anyone can recommend any other T.V. Series, or movies in the same vein, I would appreciate it!
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »

I have been watching this and I too think its a wonderful show. The 6 minute tracking shot in episode 4 puts any action scene I've seen on the big screen in 2013 to shame. Pick any aspect (acting, directing, writing) and just about everything is done to perfection. Very intrigued to see how the final episode wraps things up (or doesn't) the last 2 episodes have been a little bit on the slow side so this final hour is going to either solidify this as one of the finest seasons of tv ever or be a pretty big dissapointment. I'm thinking that were going to see some magic though and I look forward to see who's going to be cast for season 2.

As for movies and tv shows that are similar, well I can think of a few.
David Finchers Zodiac-Captures the same kind of long term investigation and the toll it can take. An incredible film and one that I think fans of True Detective would love.

Hannibal-I though the idea of doing a Hannibal tv show was pretty stupid especially on network tv. I was completely wrong, this show is fantastic and most surprisingly is incredibly gory. In terms of writing I would say that True Detective is better written but in terms of visual splendor Hannibal beats it. Mad Mikkelson is the best Hannibal Lector yet portrayed on screen and the rest of the cast are equally great. A show that consistently surprises me and one that I think fans of True Detective would enjoy. The second season just started and all signs point to another great season of television.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »

I friend of mine got me hooked on this. Its an great show. I haven't been this entertained by TV in a while.

As far as the Yellow King goes, that's the front of Trevor's undies.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »

Good show.  My brother and I have watched it for some time.  Great performances by all, but most of all the best part is the bod on the girl Woody cheats with early on in the series!  Nom nom!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »

Too bad the season is already over and we are going to get an all-new cast next season. I miss Harrelson and McConaughy already Bluesad
The finale was fantastic...even though you could argue that all the little hints here and there throughout the show about the Identity of the yellow king led to almost nowhere.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:35 AM »

Too bad about the ending, especially investigation of powerful individuals not shown or many elements (like the reason for using the Yellow King) and storylines (such as Maggie's dad) not developed.
Bushma

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »

I though the final episode was rather rushed. It took half the season and a lot of investigation to get to the shootout but the final clue to find d the killer and end the series was one episode?

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  True Detective « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.