Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:02:24 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman  (Read 7412 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 02, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

I just read on FB that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of a drug overdose. Sad news.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:17:14 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »

It's all over CNN.

Sad news.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »

Seriously? Oh man that sucks. Great actor...didn't know he had a drug problem though.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »

I always enjoy his work.  I saw PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN on broadway playing the older son in "Long Day's Journey Into Night"

Good night PHILIP, we will all miss you. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

He was great in Mission: Impossible III

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »

He was the best actor in Twister BounceGiggle

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »

OK, maybe it's too soon, but I'm gonna say it anyway:  I have simply never understood why these people who make more money than I will ever earn in a lifetime and are adored by their many fans can't leave the drugs alone.
He was a talented actor and his death was both tragic and unnecessary.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »

OK, maybe it's too soon, but I'm gonna say it anyway:  I have simply never understood why these people who make more money than I will ever earn in a lifetime and are adored by their many fans can't leave the drugs alone.
Pretty much how I feel.  Damn shame and terrific actor obviously, but at the same time I feel like "What the hell were you thinking?!".

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:50 AM »

Damn.  What a waste.
 Bluesad

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

The thing about addiction...doesn't matter how rich, poor, or race you are.

Plus, he was an addict when poor. It's always hiding in the corner of your mind.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

He left behind three kids too. I feel no pity for him. His kids, for sure, but not him. Selfish bastard.  Thumbdown

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »

That's exactly it.  If they're adored by millions, fabulously rich, and engaged in a craft they're passionate about, yet they STILL need drugs, can you imagine the scope and scale of the demons within them?

Of course, I can't say if it is exactly like that with Hoffman, but if it's something like clinical severe depression, I can tell you your life experiences, support systems, friends, family, children, possessions, career, spirituality, counseling - sometimes (often, really) none of it makes any difference at all.  Then the fact that it makes no difference perversely makes you feel worse.  And all it takes is one time injecting too much for it to be done.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

That's exactly it.  If they're adored by millions, fabulously rich, and engaged in a craft they're passionate about, yet they STILL need drugs, can you imagine the scope and scale of the demons within them?

Of course, I can't say if it is exactly like that with Hoffman, but if it's something like clinical severe depression, I can tell you your life experiences, support systems, friends, family, children, possessions, career, spirituality, counseling - sometimes (often, really) none of it makes any difference at all.  Then the fact that it makes no difference perversely makes you feel worse.  And all it takes is one time injecting too much for it to be done.
It's...kinda like that.  I've dealt with both depression and addiction in my life.  And indeed, you really do feel guilty and feel like total sh*t for doing it.  But the demons one must face, sadly, well.  I can't say whether the depression led to the addiction, or vice versa, although I recall being quite depressed before I even had my first hit of substances.

People can get help.  Go to rehab, do AA/NA.  At the end of the day, no matter your support group, that demon you face, whether it's alcohol, heroin, depression, cocaine, etc., it sitting in the corner of your mind, staring at you, mocking you. 

Oftentimes, people pick up again assuming they can use the same amount they used when they were 'active' in their addiction.  Essentially, if you did $400 of cocaine in an 8 hour period and went twenty years before using again, you think "I can still do that.  I know my limits."  You can't.  Your body re-adjusts.  I've had NUMEROUS friends and acquaintances die this way. 

I'm glad I'm still here. 

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »

He was the best actor in Twister BounceGiggle

I agree....he was pretty cool in Twister. I liked his work and I hate it when people with talent and such promise throw it away. Bluesad

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.