Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:31:01 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Not Humor: The psychology of Internet Trolls « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not Humor: The psychology of Internet Trolls  (Read 3152 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »

Interesting read, not that we get a lot of these types in here.  Andthank you all so much for that.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

the article doesn't define exactly what trolling is, so I'll ask (seriously) what is trolling?

I thought internet 'trolling' was when one person tried to get as big a reaction as possible from a group of like-minded individuals, by posting an opinion or statement they absolutely knew that group would take issue with - whether that person posting it actually agreed with what they themselves were saying or not.

- for example, an internet 'troll' would be someone going on to a Beatles forum and making a thread called 'Gerry & The Pacemakers are totally better than the Beatles dude!!!!'.

But now, apparently 'trolling' is also defined as someone making a twitter account and point blank threatening to rape and/or kill another twitter user. To me that's just extreme cold blooded bullying. And yet apparently that's trolling as well?

If the definition is so wide as to encompass both the above, then I don't really see how any kind of psychological data can be assessed regarding "The Internet Troll", as an individual.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »

You know, I sort of lump em into a group of unnecssarily loud and abusive a***oles, who just are mean for mean's sake.  Exploiting the fact no one can actually beat the crap out of them. 

Let's pull from the old wikipedia (nota real source but oh well)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-IUKB_def-6

"Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families" 

So its sort of up in the air.  Anyway I just thought it was sort of interesting.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »

Isn't a troll just someone with a contrary opinion? Was Jesus a troll?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »

There's a difference between an internet troll and an attention whore.

Internet troll is like 4chan, Attention whores is ones that gets a reaction from a group

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

I thought internet 'trolling' was when one person tried to get as big a reaction as possible from a group of like-minded individuals, by posting an opinion or statement they absolutely knew that group would take issue with - whether that person posting it actually agreed with what they themselves were saying or not.

Me too.

I see the example of saying hurtful things on a memorial site as an extreme of trying to stir up reaction, rather than as an attempt to cause additional grief.  The motivation is quite different.

If the definition is so wide as to encompass both the above, then I don't really see how any kind of psychological data can be assessed regarding "The Internet Troll", as an individual.

Agreed.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »

You know, I sort of lump em into a group of unnecssarily loud and abusive a***oles, who just are mean for mean's sake.  Exploiting the fact no one can actually beat the crap out of them. 

Yeah, Amen to that. They make you wish you could travel thru the phone lines and let them have it on the other end.  And, no big surprise that Youtube is a major ground for these types of offenders, especially in the Music Videos and Favorite Bands sections.

As always, no big secret that the political section has enough trolling going on on both sides for Tom Clancy to write his next major book about (were he still among us.) 

As has been my experience, you can usually separate the trollers from the true debaters and discussionists, while other times, someone who feels they 'lost' an argument or got bested by someone will just resort to all out abuse as a substitute for intelligence.  Like the rest of you I've had my fair share of these types and it's not likely to stop any time soon, unfortunately.  Bluesad
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »

Interesting article: I think it's worth mentioning that quite a lot of people just go actively searching for confrontation (not sure that is the right term in an internet context) and will actually lie and contradict their own opinions in order to negate ones viewpoint, a lot are smarter than they appear. Also I think the best method has always been to ignore especially if moderation is not at a comfortable level on that particular service, it sort of starves them out of their own needs. Over the years Youtube has got much less trolling in comments at first due to the thumbs up/down system and then arguably later due to the lessening of anonymity (which in principal I don't agree with, it's just an observation). I always find it mildly interesting psychologically when I encounter trolls but then quickly frustrating when decent polite chaps get drawn into a cyclical debate with them.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Not Humor: The psychology of Internet Trolls « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.