Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:11:39 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE (1971)  (Read 2041 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 23, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »

This isn't really a bad movie . . . it's okay . . . but nothing special.  My comments here are less about the quality of the movie and more about how hilariously dated this movie is.  Especially the haircuts and clothing, which are vintage "England, late 60s/early 70s."  Most of the male characters remind me of Austin Powers and the females remind me of Goldie Hawn  when she was on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.  Unfortunately, the pictures below don't show the really "over-the-top' clothing in this movie (like the ultra-slim-cut suits and the feminine neckerchief that one of the male characters wears).

I bought this blu-ray about 2 months ago, but just got around to watching it.  I bought it primarily because it was directed by Pete Walker (HOUSE OF WHIPCORD, THE CONFESSIONAL and several other thrillers from the 1970s and early 80s).  I wouldn't say I'm a Pete Walker fan, but I own a few of his movies and I think they are oddly entertaining.

For a good "fashion-watch" double feature, I suggest DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE and DRACULA A.D. 1972.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

I also find Pete Walker's movies to be oddly interesting. All of them that I have watched have a deeply twisted backbone to the stories, almost as if "normal" things are creepy and creepy things are "normal".

Frightmare has always been a favorite.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »

I've only seen a few of Pete Walker's movies.  FRIGHTMARE was terrific, HOUSE OF WHIPCORD I thought was really boring, and felt the same about SCHIZO.  Die Screaming was one I kind of wanted to see.  I remember back in the mom & pop vid store days I'd see the cool VHS cover of the bloody throated girl and was intrigued.
I thought Susan George was pretty cute.  I'd also seen her in STRAW DOGS and DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »

I've only seen a few of Pete Walker's movies.  FRIGHTMARE was terrific, HOUSE OF WHIPCORD I thought was really boring, and felt the same about SCHIZO.  Die Screaming was one I kind of wanted to see.  I remember back in the mom & pop vid store days I'd see the cool VHS cover of the bloody throated girl and was intrigued.
I thought Susan George was pretty cute.  I'd also seen her in STRAW DOGS and DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY.

Like most of Pete Walker's movies, there is a fairly long "set up" where the movie seems to be filled with average people doing mundane things and you keep asking yourself things like, "Where is this going?  When will Marianne start screaming?"  In general, "Let's get on with it already!"  If you thought the ones you have seen were boring, this one is probably even more boring.  It's sort of like watching a soap opera for about an hour, and then the "real" plot begins.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Get on with it (inc. God)! Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »

Like most of Pete Walker's movies, there is a fairly long "set up" where the movie seems to be filled with average people doing mundane things and you keep asking yourself things like, "Where is this going?  When will Marianne start screaming?"  In general, "Let's get on with it already!"  If you thought the ones you have seen were boring, this one is probably even more boring.  It's sort of like watching a soap opera for about an hour, and then the "real" plot begins.

House of The Long Shadows started off that way too.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
JollyRott3n
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »

Why does it seem like everyone in the 70s had an 8000 sq ft house?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.