Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:22:11 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drive-In Cult Classics Collection - 200 Film Set « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Drive-In Cult Classics Collection - 200 Film Set  (Read 13678 times)
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »

I recently bought Mill Creek's Drive-In Cult Classics Collection - 200 Film Set off Amazon and was wondering, has anyone else here has bought it? I haven't watched any yet, but there's a few seemingly-promising stinkers (ALIEN CONTAMINATION, KARATE KIDS USA, THE BLACK GODFATHER). There's so many to choose from, any suggestions?
claws
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »

This set contains mostly stuff Mill Creek already released in other sets, except for the Crown International titles, which I already own in proper widescreen on DVD or Blu-ray.

Recommended viewing:

All the Kind Strangers (1974) ~ Creepy TV Thriller.
The Beach Girls (1982) ~ Fun. The new Blu-ray is highly recommended.
The Hearse (1980) ~ This was recently re-released on DVD, remastered. A personal fave.
The Nightmare Never Ends (1980) ~ Cheesetastic. Awful PQ.
Nine Deaths of the Ninja (1985) ~ Unintentional hilarious.
Policewomen (1974) ~ Grindhouse classic + Tarantino fave.
Terror (1978) ~ Underrated.

BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »

This set contains mostly stuff Mill Creek already released in other sets, except for the Crown International titles, which I already own in proper widescreen on DVD or Blu-ray.

Recommended viewing:

All the Kind Strangers (1974) ~ Creepy TV Thriller.
The Beach Girls (1982) ~ Fun. The new Blu-ray is highly recommended.
The Hearse (1980) ~ This was recently re-released on DVD, remastered. A personal fave.
The Nightmare Never Ends (1980) ~ Cheesetastic. Awful PQ.
Nine Deaths of the Ninja (1985) ~ Unintentional hilarious.
Policewomen (1974) ~ Grindhouse classic + Tarantino fave.
Terror (1978) ~ Underrated.

Cool, I've heard of NINE DEATHS, so I'll probably start there. From what I've read, Mill Creek is notorious for repackaging the same movies over and over again. I also have one of their 20 movie horror packs with a lot of the same titles (and for some reason, LASER MISSION with Brandon Lee! Sounds spooooky), but it was only 3 bucks so I didn't really mind.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »

Cool, I've heard of NINE DEATHS, so I'll probably start there. From what I've read, Mill Creek is notorious for repackaging the same movies over and over again. I also have one of their 20 movie horror packs with a lot of the same titles (and for some reason, LASER MISSION with Brandon Lee! Sounds spooooky), but it was only 3 bucks so I didn't really mind.

Mill Creek is EVIL about doing it. I have multiple copies of movie that I don't even like. Lookingup

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »

Here's the page listing the movies in the set: http://www.millcreekent.com/drive-in-cult-classics-collection-200-film-set.html.

I'd recommend

BLACK COBRA
CITY NINJA
THE CREEPING TERROR (terrible, but essential)
KUNG FU ARTS
MADMAN OF MANDORAS (although the THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN cut is preferable)
NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA
RETURN OF THE KUNG FU DRAGON
TNT JACKSON

and say to avoid

THE GUY FROM HARLEM
HUSTLER SQUAD
MOON OF THE WOLF (boring made for TV werewolf movie, though it does have its fans)
NIGHT FRIGHT (nothing happens)
THE WILD WOMEN OF WONGO (track down the Film Crew version if you want to see this one)

Actually it's not such a bad set depending on what you paid for it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »

I have a bunch of mill creek sets (not this one) so I've seen a couple of these movies.

Good (at least by Mill Creek Criteria
All The Kind Strangers
Death Rage
Death Warmed Up
Mad Dog (Awesome actually)
The Kidnapping of the President (features Shatner and Hal Holbrook)
Eternal Evil (aka The Blue Man) I really liked this one but I think I may be the only one.

Ok
Medusa
Embryo
The Severed Arm (Ok I liked the lead up but the mill creek version cuts off at the climax!)

Abysmal
My Moms a Werewolf
Deathrow Gameshow (although being one of the worst movies ever, it does have the rare distinction of being a mill creek movie with a good widescreen transfer.
Almost Hollywood
Snowbeast

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

I agree you could skip MY MOM'S A WEREWOLF, but I don't think it's among the worst in the set. It's goofy and for some reason I find Susan Blakely weirdly sexy in this.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »

I also highly recommend The Creeping Terror  Thumbup

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »

I also highly recommend The Creeping Terror  Thumbup

Yeah I've seen the Mystery Science Theater version a few times; a great sci-fi stinker. Just noticed they've got a few MST3K movies like this one, MANHUNT IN SPACE, THE SIDEHACKERS, THE HELLCATS and THE SKYDIVERS (which I loved growing up). For some reason, I always enjoyed those bleak depressing Coleman Francis films.

I've decided to start off with NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA and VOODOO BLACK EXORCIST (which looks terrible, but I remember it having a long write up in the PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE).
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »

Oh and thanks for the recommendations!  Cheers

Keep 'em coming.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »

I watched the first 10 minutes of NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA on youtube last night. Hilarious  TeddyR cant believe this has gone under my bad-dar till now

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »

Good grief, that set looks awesome. Sure, there will be retreads from other sets, but still, there's gotta be some gems in there.

Skimming the list of titles, it looks like I haven't seen very many of these.

I have seen two of the three "Black Cobra" flicks w/Fred Williamson, they were entertaining in a painful sort of way, and enjoyed most of "Alien Contamination" (which started out pretty strong but went off the rails at around the three quarter mark). I've also seen "Galaxina," which was pretty weak sauce, "Invasion of the Bee Girls" (ridiculous but fun), and "Snowbeast" (ehhhh).

I would definitely pick up this set if I could get it at a decent price. I'd never have to buy another multi-pack DVD, I'd be set for life!!  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »

Man, oh man, I started with VOODOO BLACK EXORCIST. What a fantastic steaming pile of cinema! It's got horrific dubbing, an "exotic" dancer that looks like somebody's middle-aged aunt, people in grayface (guess the budget didn't allow for blackface), editing that will make your head explode, a groovy psychedelic/salsa/tribal soundtrack that pops in from time to time and papier-mache decapitations o' plenty. It's about a cruise ship that for some reason is carrying a sarcophagus of a voodoo mummy played by a low rent Yul Brynner. He's out for revenge. Hilarity ensues. Highly recommended!

Today's my day off so while I'm nursing this hangover, I'll take a peek at NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA.
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »

Good grief, that set looks awesome. Sure, there will be retreads from other sets, but still, there's gotta be some gems in there.

Skimming the list of titles, it looks like I haven't seen very many of these.

I have seen two of the three "Black Cobra" flicks w/Fred Williamson, they were entertaining in a painful sort of way, and enjoyed most of "Alien Contamination" (which started out pretty strong but went off the rails at around the three quarter mark). I've also seen "Galaxina," which was pretty weak sauce, "Invasion of the Bee Girls" (ridiculous but fun), and "Snowbeast" (ehhhh).

I would definitely pick up this set if I could get it at a decent price. I'd never have to buy another multi-pack DVD, I'd be set for life!!  TeddyR

I got it off Amazon for 46 bucks. Even if only half of them turn out to be watchable it's still a pretty good deal.
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

I watched the first 10 minutes of NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA on youtube last night. Hilarious  TeddyR cant believe this has gone under my bad-dar till now

The uncomfortable title sequence with the dancers in awful leotards and adult-contemporary music for the theme was an odd choice to start off a ninja movie. Believe it or not, it gets even better from there.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drive-In Cult Classics Collection - 200 Film Set « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.