Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:58:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Man Trapped In Cursed Village « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man Trapped In Cursed Village  (Read 5408 times)
unicornthunder
New Visitor

« on: February 27, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »

Just to clarify, i never saw this movie. Someone was asking about it on reddit and I really want to see it. Copy and pasted from reddit.

I remember renting this movie around 1994. I know it's between the very late 80's and early 90's. I also know it's also not widely recognized, and it will contain spoilers, but it's the only way I can really help to identify it, so here we go

Plot:

An anthropologist and his family travel to this rural village in the Middle East (it was arid and sandy) where I believe he went with the intent to do a cultural study. After the typical mingling, getting to know the culture stuff we find out that there is this one-time annual custom (treated as a holiday if you will; there's a festival going on) where everybody knows to leave the city by night . We don't know yet what happens if yet if you don't get out of the town in time

Spoliers start

The anthropologist hears the lore behind why people always leave the town at this time of the year for the night. He convinces his family to leave as a precautionary measure (whether he believes it at this point or not), but as the sun begins to set, he is not able to make it out of the walled city in time and is stuck there for the night.

Now that we have all of the soothsaying out of the way, we begin what the majority of the movie focuses on.

Once nightfall officially starts, you are unable to leave for the duration of the night (supernatural powers lock you inside and there's no way out). What happens is demons of various forms and habits (a large demon with a whip marching naked women down the street stands out) roam the village. They enslave any humans they encounter and essentially terrorize the town. The majority of the movie is the anthropologist, and any other people who didn't leave in time or didn't believe the lore, enduring this mess and trying to not get killed.

It ends with the main character (the anthropologist) making it through the night and lasting until morning, where everything naturally returns to normalcy and society carries on as normal.

There's a catch though. If you didn't make it out of the city at the appropriate time, and you had to witness this whole mess, you have to remain in the village for a full year in which you are then given the opportunity to try again (a pseudo curse if you will) to get out in time at the next annual event.

I always thought this story was really unique, and being in 4th grade at the time, the whole "society turned upside down by demons lurking the plane" was fairly scary. I remember it standing out too because it was well shot from a camera standpoint and the monsters were creatively imagined and replicated.
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

Sounds very very very much like the 1988 movie Judgement Day.

If I am wrong then man what a coincidence!

Judgement day 1988 "Two travelers stop over in a small village named Santana. Unbeknownst to them, Santana is a village where, once a year, Satan comes to Earth to claim souls, and they just happened to enter the village on that day."
unicornthunder
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »

it totally is! thanks mang!
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »

You're welcome. Glad I could help.  Cheers

Reason I know about this movie is because when I was a little kid, I asked my friend's mother what the scariest movie she has ever seen is. She replied with Judgement Day from 1988. And I always remembered it and wanted to watch it ever since. It took me about 10 years to find the movie even mentioned anywhere besides online. When I finally watched it in full on youtube I realized it's not scary at all. LOL My friend's mom must've been on something funky to think so, which wouldn't have surprised me. I thought the movie was surprisingly tame, however I did like it. It has decent creature effects on the main bad guy and the scenery and film locations and story was all pretty cool. Such an obscure film it is, though. Almost nobody seems to know about it, it seems. Glad I could help. :)
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »

Solved. :)

The film also goes by a second title:

'The Third Hand'

unicornthunder
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »

i can't seem to find it on youtube...help a brother out?  the vhs is like 30 bucks on amazon :(
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »

Just checked youtube, Unfortunately it seems to have been removed from there. Used to be posted there as a full movie. Can't find it streaming anywhere anymore either. Doesn't look like it's around on the internet at the moment. Like I said, It took me a longggg time to get ahold of a copy even just streaming online. I guess just got to keep checking and looking, or buy it. This movie gets posted for quite expensive prices for VHS I've noticed. I honestly don't think it's worth the pricetag but at the same time, it's an extremely rare obscure film so I gather anybody buying it online buys it out of the quirky collector tendency aspect of it- Rather than because it's totally a great movie. haha. Know what I'm sayin'. At any rate. Good luck finding it. I'll message you if I find it anywhere... :)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Man Trapped In Cursed Village « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.