Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:26 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ARGENTO'S DRACULA 3D (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ARGENTO'S DRACULA 3D (2012)  (Read 2404 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: February 08, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »

There is a LOT of hate for this movie out there, but I have to be honest - I kinda liked it.
It is certainly head and shoulders above any of the TWILIGHT takes on the vampire mythos!

It does take some liberties with the storyline of the original novel, but I thought that Thomas Kretchmann did an excellent job as Dracula, and his trio of female victims - the frequently nude peasant girl Tanja, Lucy (whose last name is NOT Westenra but Kisslinger for some reason), and Mina - were all lovely and well acted.  (That being said, why does Dario insist that his daughter do a nude scene in EVERY movie he directs her in?  There is something very creepy about that, IMO!)  The gore was abundant and well done, and Rutger Hauer does a nice turn as Van Helsing.

One of the things that was rather odd, however, was the way Dracula's transformation scenes were handled.  Traditionally, vampires can assume the form of bat, rat, or wolf.  In this film we see Dracula become an owl, a wolf, a swarm of flies, and a VERY badly rendered giant praying mantis.  Where on earth did that last one come from???

All in all, this was a pretty entertaining if rather lurid take on the Dracula mythos, not as good as the one with Gary Oldman, but better than many others.  What did you guys think of it?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

Wasn't really going to watch it to be honest, but after hearing that Thomas Kretschmann and Rutger Hauer are in it, I might change my mind.

Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »

I didn't dislike it, but Argento is definitely slumming it here. Beautiful settings, wonderful throwback to the classy Hammer days with the sets and costumes and, as Indy stated, some very good performances. The CGI work was tragic in most cases.

The giant praying mantis (I think it was a reference to mating and killing, but it is the female that does so) scene is hands down the funniest thing I've seen in months. I kept looping it back to watch over and over and ended up getting a cramp in my side from laughing so much. A serious WTF? moment.

Rutger Hauer was the best thing in the whole movie. I watched it in 3D, and he was still the most impressive thing on the screen.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:41:00 PM by Javakoala » Logged
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

not seen an Argento I've seriously liked since Terror At The Opera. Up to that movie he was able to inject his original style all over anything he did. Since then I feel he's gone downhill and the abysmal The Card Player was enough to put me off ever watching one of his films again. May look out for this one though...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »

Either I couldn't finish watching this one or I've forgotten much of it. However, I remember it looked really cheap and that the acting was atrocious.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

It is certainly head and shoulders above any of the TWILIGHT takes on the vampire mythos!
That's hardly a redeeming endorsement.  I mean, Count Chocula and the purple muppet from Sesame Street are better takes on the vampire mythos than Twilight.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ARGENTO'S DRACULA 3D (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.