Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:44 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ?????HUH????? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ?????HUH?????  (Read 4944 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: March 17, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »

This is stuck in the middle of Ed Wood's flick JAIL BAIT, for no reason I can fathom....

Cotton Watts - Ed Wood - JailBait better than Plan 9 from Outer Space Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Javakoala
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »

I want his shoes! His suit...not so much.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »

The fact that it's Ed Wood is probably all the explanation you need. 
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »

You know, people can rag on Ed Wood's movies, but the camera work, lighting and framing were all rather well done. Nice clear images. Unfortunately, everything else was pretty inept.

It's like wrapping a turd. It doesn't matter how nice the box, the ribbon, and the presentation; it's still a turd.

I still love his movies, stinky though they may be.
VenomX73

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »

I enjoyed the dance... pretty smooth - wouldn't you say so?

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
BluEyeDevil
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »

The sad part is that modern rap "artists" are pretty much doing the same thing.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »

A musical interlude....Ed Wood insanity to break up....well,the rest of the insanity. I love Ed Wood! Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »

You know, people can rag on Ed Wood's movies, but the camera work, lighting and framing were all rather well done. Nice clear images. Unfortunately, everything else was pretty inept.

Most of Wood's movies had veteran cinematographer William C. Thompson at the camera.

Thompson had been working since the early days of the silents and had a pretty respectable career. I assume he had fallen on hard times by the time the Wood films came around.

All in all, he took pretty nice pictures of Wood's turds.  TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »

Say what you will about the guy in blackface, he's got a nice suit and he dances a hell of a lot better than I ever could. 
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »

Don't get me wrong....I'm a major Woodfan, and I'm not offended by the blackface-it just seems a strange thing to put there.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

Sorry, I can't find one thing redeemable about a white guy in black face.

Javakoala
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 06:04:22 AM »

After a little bit of research, the minstrel show clip is originally from a Ron Ormond film called Yes Sir Mr Bones from 1951. It's a fair bet that Wood used it for padding to hit a required running time, plus it saved him time and money and effort by avoiding rewrites and shooting additional footage.

Given Wood's nature, he either thought adding it would have been funny ("This will blow their minds.") or he just thought the story needed a hint of levity to breakup the "drama".

Further research indicates that some prints of Jail Bait had a striptease scene instead of the minstrel act, so maybe it was done to make it marketable to television. Let's see, blackface vs. stripTEASE...yeah, not really a lesser of the two evils when it comes to TV.

Welcome to the wacky world of Ed Wood.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:51:18 AM by Javakoala » Logged
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »

A bit more research tells me that Cotton Watts was actually a (somewhat) well know Black face performer, perhaps the very last, as he continued to do his act into the early 60s.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »

A bit more research tells me that Cotton Watts was actually a (somewhat) well know Black face performer, perhaps the very last, as he continued to do his act into the early 60s.

This ad dates from 1967....

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »

Okay, late sixties.  Best I could find was early. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ?????HUH????? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.