Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:02 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Josso's Weird Movie List « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Josso's Weird Movie List  (Read 17473 times)
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »

Ok so a lot of these are pretty short as when I wrote them I was trying to be brief, not really reviews & I'm sure some have been discussed here before but oh well  Cheers

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW (2010)
Homage to 80s film making, with a brilliant analogue synth soundtrack. This dystopian nightmare journey is stylistically really cool and worth a watch just for that almost.

ENTER THE VOID (2009)
Noé's films are truely horrifying, this is no exception however this piece is interesting as it effectively feels a really bad trip much like in his film Irreversible he made the camera work vomit inducing, with this there are some equally impressive techniques used.

EXAM (2009)
Mysterious and sadistic. One room type film.

FERMAT'S ROOM (2007)
A really cool concept, if you like confined space type films you will like this. If you only speak English I recommend using subs instead of dubs as a rule, they are more accurate.

GANTZ (2010) / GANTZ: PERFECT ANSWER (2011)
Based on a manga, there was also an anime. These films are better than both in my opinion. Weird/funny sadistic concept behind it and if you have seen the manga/anime you will love the 2nd films ending for it.

GOZU (2003)
I’m still not sure what this is about I’m pretty sure it’s not complex it just doesn’t mean anything. I've seen some of this guys other films and they usually have a similar sense of humour behind them.

METROPIA (2009)
A dystopian sci-fi film which is cleverly animated, very Orwellian.

NAKED LUNCH (1991)
Good luck reading the book, this interpretation of it is spectacular however

NOTHING (2003)
About two guys that hate the world so much that is disappears. Hilarious

PAPRIKA (2006)
A beautifully animated anime which is super weird which is how I like my anime served.

PERMENANT VACATION (1980)
Jim Jarmusch's first film, a guy walks around talking to people. One for pondering.

PRIMER (2004)
I've seen this film a few times and I still can't explain it properly. I can't put my finger on it but there is something intensely dark and trippy about this film, it treats technology not fully understood not as a magical force but as something ominous and scary. The dialogue flows nicely and this film was made dirt cheap, love it!

RUBBER (2010)
Seen a few people review this on here, you know the score. Brilliant! I love how the perspective of the audience is represented as some kind of gore tourists and treated like dirt.

THE LIMITS OF CONTROL (2009)
I saw someone on imdb describe this as an action film without action, I think it sums it up perfectly.

THIS IS NOT A MOVIE (2010)
If I remember correctly this did not get a good imdb score, I was kind of bemused at that I think people thought it was overly pretentious and/or angsty. Personally I really enjoyed, I've given it a good few watches it's a good film to watch with your mates and have a laugh at.

WALKING LIFE (2001)
A strange animated film about various philosophy, politics, etc.

Feel free to post suggestions/comments here  Smile

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:15 AM »

You want some weird ones?

FORBIDDEN ZONE (1980)
Tattoo from Fantasy Island is in this.  Lots of dry humping, nudity, a giant ass, and other assorted odd sh*t occurs in this indescribably wacko flick.

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1991)
Incredibly weird but bad flick directed by and starring Dan Aykroyd as a weird, evil judge who puts Chevy Chase and Demi Moore through hell, quite literally.

And of course, the immortal ERASERHEAD (1977).  I didn't like it like other folks did.  But I'll never forget it.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:09:09 AM »

Yeah I meant to mention Eraserhead, I kinda feel the same way about it. Maybe it's too "art film" for me or something although it probably set the benchmark for a lot of art film techniques. Quite a lot I prefer the slightly lighter films

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080752/ - is this forbidden zone? also is there any difference between B&W and colour versions despite the obvious
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:16:23 AM by Josso » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »

I second FORBIDDEN ZONE, and recommend seeing it in black and white. I think here is no difference between them but the obvious but it b&w fits the setting much better.

If you liked BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW you might like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (for the minimalist style and strong visuals).

If you like ENTER THE VOID, you might like ALTERED STATES (another drug trip movie).

If you like GOZU, you might like VISITOR Q (a lot of the same fetishes, but even more extreme and nasty).

If you liked NAKED LUNCH, you might like VIDEODROME (Cronenberg at his wildest).

If you liked NOTHING, you might like CUBE (for the existentialism) or BUNNY AND THE BULL (for absurd buddy comedy).

If you like PAPRIKA then you might like AKIRA (the classic weird anime).

If you liked PRIMER you might like MEMENTO (another puzzle-film with an unconventional narrative style).

If you liked RUBBER then you might like WRONG (obviously) or maybe MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE.

If you liked THE LIMITS OF CONTROL you might like DEAD MAN (Jarmucsh's take on the Western, which is in my opinion his best movie by a long shot)

If you liked THIS IS NOT A MOVIE, then God help you! (Just kidding). See ADAPTATION.

If you liked WAKING LIFE you owe it to yourself to see SLACKER.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »

Damn so I watched Forbidden Zone, my god. At first I thought they are just trying way too hard on the slapstick front but then I realised quickly that the general absurdity sort of masked it out. I have one question: WHAT THE HELL WAS THE DEMOGRAPHIC FOR THIS MOVIE? xD love it, the boobs to other ratio was good too.

you might like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
One of my fav films, I just got the books I was meaning to read because supposedly Clarke wasn't actually happy with the finished product of 2001 so I'm interested to see how they differ

you might like ALTERED STATES
Haven't seen that in a while I was actually thinking of rewatching soon, no-one seems to know what it is when I mention it :(

you might like VISITOR Q
Yeah I've seen that LOL, I particularly remember the part where the guy gets his penis stuck in a corpse. I also saw his ichi the killer film as well.

you might like VIDEODROME
Also haven't seen this in a while but I am a big Cronenberg fan

you might like CUBE
I think the 2nd one is probably the best and by removing the mystery in Cube Zero they ruined everything somehow

you might like AKIRA
Love it, is it true they are making a live action version of it?

you might like MEMENTO
Long time no see again.

then you might like WRONG (obviously) or maybe MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE.
Seen both quite recently, still got to get round to watching wrong cops.

you might like DEAD MAN (Jarmucsh's take on the Western, which is in my opinion his best movie by a long shot)
That and ghost dog are my favourites

If you liked THIS IS NOT A MOVIE, then God help you! (Just kidding).
BounceGiggle did you happen to like it? If not I am curious why because it was quite evident to me that a lot of people felt the same way

I may have seen Adaptation I can't remember, I'll make a list of the rest... I just thought: I forgot to mention Synecdoche, New York which I realised last time I watched is probably in my top 5 movies of all time, I'll probably write something lengthy about it after my next watch.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:09:18 AM by Josso » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

Warner Bros acquired the rights to AKIRA and has been planning a remake for over 10 years now. This is the latest info I saw: http://comicsalliance.com/akira-live-action-movie-back-on-warner-bros-jaume-collet-serra/

As for THIS IS NOT A MOVIE I'll just link my original review: http://366weirdmovies.com/capsule-this-is-not-a-movie-2011/. Check out the comment too for an even less positive perspective.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »

You might want to check out the following:

Pi (1998)
Metropolis (2001)
Kafka (1991)
The Trial (1962)
Hausu (1977)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:49 AM »

Warner Bros acquired the rights to AKIRA and has been planning a remake for over 10 years now. This is the latest info I saw: http://comicsalliance.com/akira-live-action-movie-back-on-warner-bros-jaume-collet-serra/

Damn I really hope this thing happens, hope it's not a half myth like the fringe movie or hyperion.

As for THIS IS NOT A MOVIE I'll just link my original review: http://366weirdmovies.com/capsule-this-is-not-a-movie-2011/. Check out the comment too for an even less positive perspective.

Heh, yeah that is a fair review imo but I kinda thought the pseudo high brow vibe was negated by the fact that the writer seemed to belittle his own ideologies. I guess if someone has a superiority complex, does it make it any better that they realise it themselves.

Pi (1998)

Love this, Aronofsky also made a really esoteric film in 2006 called The Fountain which I always thought he burnt himself out on creatively because he did rather "normal" films after that, it also took quite a long time to make if I remember correctly - from requiem basically he was working on it. I'll add the others to my list I've actually come across Metropolis before it comes highly recommended but for some reason I must have forgotten to get hold of it

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

THE OREGONIAN (2011)
Can't believe I forgot about this one, rewatching it today. The plot description on imdb is along the lines of "a girl leaves a farm into the unknown" and yeah that pretty much is it. Discussing it with my buddies when it came out we did actually come to some fairly solid conclusions about this film so it's not really as "mysterious" as it seems. It's little non-linear editing techniques, cinematography and as a whole quite a solid little flick with lots of symbolism, not sure how it got so instantly canned on imdb ratings. Obviously done on a budget but it doesn't bother me. It seems to reference older cinema if not directly then stylistically.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:25:00 PM by Josso » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »

THE OREGONIAN (2011)
Can't believe I forgot about this one, rewatching it today. The plot description on imdb is along the lines of "a girl leaves a farm into the unknown" and yeah that pretty much is it. Discussing it with my buddies when it came out we did actually come to some fairly solid conclusions about this film so it's not really as "mysterious" as it seems. It's little non-linear editing techniques, cinematography and as a whole quite a solid little flick with lots of symbolism, not sure how it got so instantly canned on imdb ratings. Obviously done on a budget but it doesn't bother me. It seems to reference older cinema if not directly then stylistically.

THE RAMBLER is better (IMO).

You might like the upcoming DON PEYOTE (though I have to admit I wasn't crazy about it).

NSFW (F-bombs, drug use)

Don Peyote Trailer

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »

I remembered the recommend  Thumbup nice on rev - I'll check out the other soon too

DON PEYOTE (2014)
This trip of hysteria, paranoid delusion was a perfect choice to pair up with the "mainstream" conspiracy ideologies and alternative media radio talk show nutters. Whilst seeing these guys mocked is immensely satisfying I feel like the writers attacked the tinfoil knowledge base without actually knowing basic things about the subjects. Labeling a bunch of cool science things as funny/nutty is an identical approach to people they are taking the p**s out of: labeling natural phenomena as some doomsday scenario for example. That little thing that p**sed me off aside this is a thoroughly hilarious yet at times tragically sad little flick that reminds me in several ways of This Is Not A Movie (2011) - talking directly to the audience for example and placing the plot outside the previous frame of reference. Some of the conflicting philisophical diatribe reminded me of Waking Life (2001). The fine line between hallucinogenics and mental illness I think is interesting. The subcultures referenced in this film have a great variety, it greatly adds to the comedy - dialogue is top notch, very rambly but natural, I ended up becoming really attached to the main character it's like for some reason despite being mental you feel like he's fundamentally misunderstood somehow. I'll definitely be rewatching this with friends and surprisingly it does actually get kinda deep at points. I'm glad it arced off to be more about him than the documentary concept. Undecided on the musical bits, do like the ending though even though losing the plot sort of actually lost the plot for a bit it felt like.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:50:43 AM by Josso » Logged

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

I also preferred rambler to oregonian for so many reasons--

THE RAMBLER (2013)
Much like when I encountered Quentin Dupieux's Rubber I checked the imdb and with glee discovered it was the first full length published thing he had made, my reaction to The Oregonian was similar and expected great things from Reeder in the years to come. He hasn't disappointed me, this might as well be the upgrade/patch/hotfix to The Oregonian. The little non-linear editing bits have vastly improved in scale and quality, the bizarre down the rabbit hole descent into madness and darkness is on another level also in comparison to his last film. I feel like Reeder and Dupieux should team up and make the ultimate indie flick, it seems to me like they have similar sensibilities. If you like hilarious dialogue, having your mind twisted about and exploding heads this is the film for you. I'll be re-watching this soon to get some more opinions and to get my head around it. If this was a blockbuster it would be full with lines like "The road changes a man" but much like a lot of these indie flicks I watch it's more about what isn't said than what is.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cabin_in_the_Woods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manborg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_with_the_Screaming_Brain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sadist_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audition_(1999_film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychomania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetration_Angst

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hide_and_creep

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1414847/

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »

Nice thanks, I think I'll start with the Takashi Miike first because I am already familiar with him.. I sort of know what to expect, although God's Puzzle was particularly not like him.

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »

THE ZERO THEOREM (2013)
So I got this film on artwork and plot summary alone, it seemed like it was in my area and then quickly noticed Terry Gilliam did it which made a lot of sense. My immediate impression was that it was some sort of spiritual successor to Brazil and if you are talking stylistically and ideologically it pretty much is, hell there are even whiffs of The Meaning of Life. Ultimately though I like to think this film is it's own identity, the boring fact is that the opposite of Zero Theorem is thought much far likely by scientists (heat death), which I guess would have also worked - but I believe the point was that the theorem is more like a metaphor of the main characters inhibitions. Not sure how I missed this one, if I had known it was out I would have grabbed it. Funny, eccentric, sad, bizarre flick as I fully expected from TG, if you like Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus or the couple I mentioned earlier you will most probably like this.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Josso's Weird Movie List « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.