Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:08:04 AM
713405 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984)  (Read 7828 times)
Javakoala
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »

After watching this movie, I feel dirty and partially deaf.

If you've never heard of this movie, here's the basics: Religious lady buys supposedly magical ventriloquist dummy (with cornrow braids no less), and the thing comes to life and does very, very naughty things to her.

As bad as it sounds, and it sounds BAD. Crappy sound paired with a music score provided by a Casio keyboard (at the time, I'm sure it was a bit pricey and probably took most of the budget) can result in partial deafness and mild brain scrambling.

With this release, you actually score TWO versions of the movie. I'd recommend the Hollywood Video version in the Special Features area over the version from Mr. Turner's VHS master due to less image issues and a shorter running time. I watched both, and you aren't missing ANYTHING with the shorter run time.

I would like to say that I could die happy now that I've seen this. Unfortunately, I've SEEN this, and I'm sure there is a special circle in Hell for viewers of this.

Definitely a must-rent for most of the regulars here, and a must-buy for those of us who wish to inflict pain on unsuspecting friends and family.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:06:50 PM by Javakoala » Logged
claws
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »

I find the history of this SOV film more interesting. Was this originally released and distributed by the director himself on tape? (Surprised Troma never got their hands on this). I've spent decades at video stores during the haydays, but I've never seen or heard of Black Devil Doll from Hell until the Internet. It appears the movie was circulating via tape dubs amongst obscure trash fan collectors for ages.
BDDFH sounds like a rip off from the famous Trilogy of Terror segment. I might have to check it out one of these days.
Gst0395
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

Haha that title sounds awful.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

This is one of those titles I circled immediately when I read "The Psychotronic Video Guide." 20 years later I'm finally going to get to see it!

Don't forget to give us the lowdown on "Quadead Zone" too, JavaK.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »

I love Black Devil Doll From Hell!  (should I be ashamed to say that?  I think maybe I should)

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »

I love Black Devil Doll From Hell!  (should I be ashamed to say that?  I think maybe I should)

Yes, you should be. I know I am.  BounceGiggle
Javakoala
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »

This is one of those titles I circled immediately when I read "The Psychotronic Video Guide." 20 years later I'm finally going to get to see it!

Don't forget to give us the lowdown on "Quadead Zone" too, JavaK.

So, that's where you heard about it, too?

I'll have to hold off on "Tales From The Quadead Zone" until tomorrow. Not sure I can stomach 2 of Mr. Turner's movies in one day. Oh, wait, that would be his entire output. Hmmm...maybe I can squeeze it in, just for closure.
major jay
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »

The New York Times just put out an article about this flick and it's new DVD release.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/movies/chester-novell-turner-and-black-devil-doll-are-back.html?_r=1&

JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »

Yes, you should be. I know I am.  BounceGiggle
As long as we share in our shame!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

Just watched it last night---JavaK is absolutely correct (naturally).

BDDFH is really an elaborate home movie. No budget, no professional actors, Casio keyboard score. I believe Chester Taylor did sell it himself on duped VHS tapes out of ads he placed in the backs of magazines like "Psychotronic." Don't quote me on that, though.

Some of the "atmospheric" music was so piercing it made the dogs I was watching jump up.

The rape scenes are just bizarre. I don't know if director Chester Taylor was getting off on them or not, but you won't. Doesn't help that the actress isn't very glamorous. It's a bad sign when you see a shower and think "Oh, I hope there's not going to be a nude scene here."

Some great dialogue, though: "Now that you have felt the foulness of my breath, you may now taste the sweetness of my tongue." I'm going to use that one in the bedroom myself.

It's not really an entertaining bad movie (though it has its moments), it's more something you watch with your jaw on the floor, saying to yourself "I can't believe this exists..."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:55:32 PM »

Just watched it last night---JavaK is absolutely correct (naturally).

BDDFH is really an elaborate home movie. No budget, no professional actors, Casio keyboard score. I believe Chester Taylor did sell it himself on duped VHS tapes out of ads he placed in the backs of magazines like "Psychotronic." Don't quote me on that, though.

Some of the "atmospheric" music was so piercing it made the dogs I was watching jump up.

The rape scenes are just bizarre. I don't know if director Chester Taylor was getting off on them or not, but you won't. Doesn't help that the actress isn't very glamorous. It's a bad sign when you see a shower and think "Oh, I hope there's not going to be a nude scene here."

Some great dialogue, though: "Now that you have felt the foulness of my breath, you may now taste the sweetness of my tongue." I'm going to use that one in the bedroom myself.

It's not really an entertaining bad movie (though it has its moments), it's more something you watch with your jaw on the floor, saying to yourself "I can't believe this exists..."

One piece of advice: I don't care how freaky your lady friend may be, DO NOT show this movie to her until she knows you really, really well. Yeah, it's THAT kind of movie.

Tales From The Quadead Zone is definitely a step up the food chain, but not by much.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

It's a bad sign when you see a shower and think "Oh, I hope there's not going to be a nude scene here."
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that ugly assed girl from Blood Cult. As soon as I saw her I thought "Dear gawd I hope she doesn't get naked".  BounceGiggle
Back on topic though, I'm really fascinated with SOV movies.They're pretty punk if ya get what I'm sayin'. I have a strange desire to see them all - BDDFH and TFTQDZ included - which I both discovered about on Bleeding Skull (yes, I'm namedropping that WONDERFUL site again - Sorry Andrew)  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.