Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:43:58 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DARK HOUSE (2014) original title HAUNTED « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE DARK HOUSE (2014) original title HAUNTED  (Read 2098 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »

I don't use the phrase "brilliant" to describe a horror movie very often, but this film is flat-out BRILLIANT. I rented it on sheer impulse from RedBox yesterday afternoon while picking up a prescription for my mother in law, and when my daughter Rachel and I decided to watch a movie together before bed, we bumped this one up in the queue ahead of A NIGHT IN THE WOODS (which was unwatchably bad, as it turned out).

Nick DiSanto is a pleasant 23 year old man who has been cursed with an awful ability: sometimes, when he touches someone, he foresees the manner of their death.  This ability has made it tough for him to form friendships or find romance.  At the beginning of the film, he is visiting his mother in an insane asylum.  She is trying to tell him something about his father, but is too distraught and terrified to get the words out, and at one point, he reaches out to touch her - and foresees her bursting into flames.  Distraught, he flees the room, and later that night, after he has picked up a girl in a bar and taken her home, he hears on the news that the asylum where his mother was held has burned to the ground, with over 80 fatalities.

Eight months later, he attends the reading of the will and finds that his mother has left him the deed to a house in a small village called River's End.  When he sees the photograph of the house, he realizes that this is the house he has been drawing since he was a toddler.  As an architect, he is still making sketches of it between designs.  But when he sets out to find River's End, he discovers the entire village no longer exists - swept away in a flood 23 years before.  But some of the locals whisper that the old house is still intact, having been swept downstream and deposited, undamaged, in the woods miles from its original site.

He and his friends set out to find it, and run into a state surveying crew along the way.  The three surveyors - Sam, Lilith, and Chris - mention they have heard rumors of the strange house deep in the woods, and agree to help Nick try to find it.  Sure enough, they follow a trail deep into the forest, and there is the house, completely intact, in a clearing, having fetched up against a giant tree.  As they try to figure out how the house stayed in one piece, a mysterious man named Seth comes out and warns them away.  When Nick informs him that he now owns the house, Seth invites him in, briefly, and warns him that the place is cursed and his deed is worthless.  Then mysterious axe wielding figures show up from the forest and chase them all away, killing the surveyor named Sam.

Now Nick and his friends are trying to escape the area, but all trails bend back around and lead them to the house . . . Nick's cursed house; the place where his imprisoned father finally waits to meet his son.

This movie was engaging for every second and downright terrifying at times.  It avoided predictability and cliché, and kept you guessing about the end right up until the end.  I haven't enjoyed a horror film this much since GRAVE ENCOUNTERS.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »

Is it Sucker Punch good?  Wink

I've had Dark House on my IMDb rating radar the last couple of days. It went from 6.0/10 down to 5.1/10, though its still early in the game.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:59:56 AM »

Honestly, I couldn't really compare it to SUCKER PUNCH because it's such a very different kind of film.
But it is one of the coolest horror films I've seen in a long time.  There is a real Lovecraftian vibe to it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:32:28 AM »

It's always the ones you watch on impulse that surprise you, like, Dead Souls which I'd never heard of was great, while The Tunnel was average at the very best.

I've had Dark House on my IMDb rating radar the last couple of days. It went from 6.0/10 down to 5.1/10, though its still early in the game.

I can't imagine why you'd put stock in the IMDb ratings. Have you ever paid attention to how many reviews and attempts to discuss movies by the IMDb userbase? Because they're very, very frequently juvenile, earning IMDb its reputation. Ever seen one of the "reviews" that says little to nothing about the film its reviewing?

The site itself contains useful information yes, however, the userbase...urgh....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DARK HOUSE (2014) original title HAUNTED « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.