Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:16:00 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOD'S NOT DEAD (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOD'S NOT DEAD (2014)  (Read 12881 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »

All too often, Christian films, no matter how positive or Biblical their message, are just plain bad movies.  Badly acted, overly contrived,
preachy, and annoying.
But today I had the chance to go catch a matinee showing of Kevin Sorbo's GOD'S NOT DEAD, and I was VERY impressed.
Impressed enough, in fact, that I want to go catch a second viewing of it with my family later this week.  I think that, no matter what side of the theist/atheist debate you fall on, this is a thought-provoking film that can stir some interesting conversations.

Kevin Sorbo plays Professor Radisson, a college philosophy professor who is a militant atheist.  He opens each lecture in his Philosophy 150 course by listing all the great philosophers and thinkers of history who have been atheists, and then explains that since the issue of God's existence has been clearly settled in the negative, he wants to dispense with any discussion of the Almighty for the rest of the semester.  He then asks his 80 students to all sign a three word statement and hand it in - "God is dead."
  Freshman student Josh Wheadon refuses, so Radisson issues him a challenge: he has three 20 minute lectures to prove the existence of God; failure to do so will result in a grade of "F" in the first unit of study, which is one third of the grade for the course.  Josh agrees, on the condition that his classmates serve as the jury, since Radisson's mind is already made up.  Against the advice of his parents and his girlfriend, Josh prepares to meet his professor's challenge.
Several other storylines intersect throughout the movie - from a young Muslim girl who has converted to Christianity but is hiding her faith from her strict father, to the pastor who feels as if his ministry is no longer making a difference in people's lives, to the young atheistic blogger wrestling with the diagnoses if terminal cancer.  While the story is somewhat contrived in places, the movie is well-done, well-acted, and uplifting.
  There seem to be a bevy of faith-based films being released this year;  I hope the rest of them are this good

In the meantime, I strongly recommend this film to all my fellow Bad Movie Lovers!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »

From the plot description, sounds like they were inspired by several related urban legends about atheist professors:

http://www.snopes.com/religion/chalk.asp

I have to admit, I find the central conceit pretty hard to believe.  Maybe professors get a lot wider latitude in some universities than others?

I'll have to say though, I've never seen Kevin Sorbo not be game in a role.  He's probably great as a real prick, right? 
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »

At the end of the movie, the producers provided a list of about 20 actual court cases where students who were ridiculed, received failing grades, or were otherwise academically punished for openly professing their faith on campus.  While the central story of the film is false, it is loosely based on some of these cases.

Incidentally, I saw the movie a second time Friday night, and tried to pay closer attention to it as a film.  I still think the performances were very strong. None of the characters were one-dimensional - every one was carefully fleshed out.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »

At the end of the movie, the producers provided a list of about 20 actual court cases where students who were ridiculed, received failing grades, or were otherwise academically punished for openly professing their faith on campus.  While the central story of the film is false, it is loosely based on some of these cases.

That's terrible.  I am curious about the actual cases, wish they had more information on the official site or the wiki.

I'll admit to being curious about the film because of what its origin appears to be.  Might check it out when it hits DVD.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »

The director's career is though hahaha jk it sounds interesting
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

Kevin Sorbo did an interview on O'Reilly the other night.  He said that since he came out as a Christian, his readings for movie parts have gone from
30-40 per year to 3-4 per year.  Be that as it may, I think this performance is the best I have ever seen him give.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »

Our Sunday School class all wants to see this together. Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

Kevin Sorbo did an interview on O'Reilly the other night.  He said that since he came out as a Christian, his readings for movie parts have gone from
30-40 per year to 3-4 per year.  Be that as it may, I think this performance is the best I have ever seen him give.

Yeah, I'm sure coming out as Christian is the reason.  Everyone in the film and TV biz threw out a line with the Christian alert tag, don't hire Kevin Sorbo!  Not, ya know, entering the middle age bracket where parts dry up, particularly for someone who was previously a bit of a pretty boy. 

I like the guy, but c'mon.  Lookingup
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »

I'm sure some of it was related to his age and role choices, but if you think there isn't some anti-Christian prejudice in Hollywood, you're fooling yourself.  Not universal, but present nonetheless.  Many of the celebrity set really despise Christianity.
 Sorbo did have two of the top-rated series of the 1990's, and he's definitely got some acting skills.

That being said, he also picked a couple of real stinker roles that damaged his marketability, no doubt!

Anyway, all that aside, I still loved this movie.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure coming out as Christian is the reason.  Everyone in the film and TV biz threw out a line with the Christian alert tag, don't hire Kevin Sorbo!  Not, ya know, entering the middle age bracket where parts dry up, particularly for someone who was previously a bit of a pretty boy. 

I like the guy, but c'mon.  Lookingup

There is a definite liberal bent in Hollyweird, Jim. I mean, think about it. If instead of Kevin Sorbo coming out as a Christian, he had come out as gay, he would probably be getting offers of 300-400 parts now instead of only 3-4. I mean, take a look at Ellen Page as a perfect example; a mediocre actress who is witnessing her acting career on a slow decline due to her rather ho-hum performance in movies, suddenly decides that now is a good time to come out as a lesbian? I like the girl, but c'mon. Lookingup

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13:23 AM »

I hope this is released here as I love films that challenge me and I think this one will.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »

More than a year later, it has finally been released here: I hope to see it this weekend.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »

...I love films that challenge me and I think this one will.

SAVED is a Christian themed film that will challenge you and make you think about faith.  It has one of the best lines relating to contemporary Christianity I think I've ever heard in a film: in regard to the Bible, "This is NOT a weapon!"  I think a lot of Christians didn't like it because it did not tie things up on a nice, neat little bow.

GOD'S NOT DEAD tackles the questions more head-on, and does a good job (imo) except for getting a bit loose in the end (again, my opinion).  I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it after you've seen it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
basalt
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »

It's a great MOVIE. It has a great message and the actors did an amazing job but it is still just a movie! It's for entertainment and people should not base their beliefs on what they see on screen. If you want to know what God says read the Bible for yourself.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »

Kevin Sorbo did an interview on O'Reilly the other night.  He said that since he came out as a Christian, his readings for movie parts have gone from 30-40 per year to 3-4 per year.  Be that as it may, I think this performance is the best I have ever seen him give.

How dare he not be a scientologist?

That said, the movie is based on an absurd, unrealistic scenario.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOD'S NOT DEAD (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.