Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:01 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question Of Collectible Selling Ethics For Deceased Celebrities « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question Of Collectible Selling Ethics For Deceased Celebrities  (Read 1567 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »

I just wanted to throw this out there to see how everyone feels about the subject.   When an celebrity passes on, it is well known that their collectible stuff skyrockets.   For example, with the recent passing of The Ultimate Warrior people can't seem to scoop up enough of his items that were all laying dormant on Ebay weeks before.   

How do you feel about people who profit off of this?   I'm on the fence on the subject personally.   I mean I understand money is money and as mentioned above things will be more desirable when people are gone.  (What that says about us as a society is kind of sad to be honest)  However, what about the money grubbers out there who jack the price to ridiculous amounts.  Who's at fault?  The collector naive enough to pay that much or the seller?  Thoughts?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »

Good question.
I have a  vintage 1976 campaign button for Jimmy Carter - one of the big 4" ones.
I plan to put it on EBay when he passes, not out of disrespect for his memory, but simply because
that is when interest in his Presidency is going to spike.  However, I'm not going to have some insanely
high starting bid - I am going to put it out there and see what someone will give me for it.
Does that make me a bad person, or just a capitalist?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »

Capitalist, pig dog!   BounceGiggle

I'm kidding.

If you just throw it out there to see what someone will give you and it is something you don't want anymore, you are just striking while the market is good, like buying stock in a company when the stock is low.

If you gouge people in an effort to make a killing in any circumstance, you are a jerk.

The only arena where this doesn't apply is selling illegal substances. If you're gonna risk arrest, make the cash grab. Of course, if Obama would just legalize...but that's a topic for another time and place.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »

When Dan Aykroyd was touring selling his Crystal Head vodka, I went to one of those events. I spend $60 for a bottle of vodka, but what was important to me was that I got to shake his hand and he autographed my bottle, plus I got my picture taken with him. I looked on eBay at the time and the empty bottles were going for $60. I still haven't decided if I'm going to sell that vodka or not. I don't drunk that much so maybe if I started now that bottle would be empty by the time he passes away, but wouldn't an unopened bottle be worth more?

Really though what is the point of collecting stuff?  Its the enjoyment of collecting and the hope that those items will be worth something in the future. I don't have an issue with people selling items trying to make the most after someone dies.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

I don't see the slightest ethical issue here. These items aren't necessities. Sell and buy for whatever price both parties agree to. If I owned anything like that I would sell it for the highest price I could get and not think twice about it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »

When Dan Aykroyd was touring selling his Crystal Head vodka, I went to one of those events. I spend $60 for a bottle of vodka, but what was important to me was that I got to shake his hand and he autographed my bottle, plus I got my picture taken with him. I looked on eBay at the time and the empty bottles were going for $60. I still haven't decided if I'm going to sell that vodka or not. I don't drunk that much so maybe if I started now that bottle would be empty by the time he passes away, but wouldn't an unopened bottle be worth more?

Really though what is the point of collecting stuff?  Its the enjoyment of collecting and the hope that those items will be worth something in the future. I don't have an issue with people selling items trying to make the most after someone dies.

Collecting is generally not about profit.  However, any savvy collector learns that buying and selling are a big part of collecting.  That aspect alone can be addictive.  However, collecting is mostly about love, or admiration. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »

I have an autograph of LeAnn Rimes (country singer-turned-homewrecking skank) from when she was 13 years old and literally two weeks before her star took off and she became country music's most famous karaoke singer for a time. I am wondering how much money that autograph of hers will be worth when she inevitably dies of overt skankiness, which I imagine may happen sooner rather than later.  Question

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »

I don't see the harm in it. If people are willing to pay for the stuff, you might as well strike while the iron's hot.

Funny this comes up cuz I was closet cleaning the other day and found my 8x10 "Batman" photo autographed by Adam West and I remember thinking "he ain't getting any younger."

I doubt I'd part with it even when Mr. West does pass, though, because meeting him (twice) was a major Geek Moment for me after being a fan for so many years.

Similarly, I have Joey and Johnny Ramone's autographs on the cassette insert for their 1992 Mondo Bizarro album, but you can have that when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. I want that damn thing buried with me!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question Of Collectible Selling Ethics For Deceased Celebrities « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.