Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:41:38 PM
714228 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If you had your own theater/drive-in? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If you had your own theater/drive-in?  (Read 9432 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

I have an old Super 8MM movie projector and a screen.  I could sort of have my own outdoor theater in my side yard but each full movie would require like 5 reels.  I've seen full movies on ebay like Jaws, and some cartoon shorts that would go well with the drive-in type atmosphere, but 5 reels for a full movie kind of sucks.  That's a lot of intermissions while I change reels!

The thing to do is use the condensed films on the 800' reels.  Ends up being a reel change every 25 minutes, and usually it's a whole "movie" in that time.  If you don't mind spending more money, you can also get one of the ones that takes a larger reel.  There's a very expensive Super 8 projector out there that takes a 2000' reel if memory serves.   TeddyR

I've done this with my Super 8 stuff a couple times.  Mine has an 800' reel.  Last time I showed a Looney Tunes short, the trailer for Sword and the Sorcerer, and the 40 minute version of The Sting (which is very smartly edited down - it contains just the main con of the title).

I got a Super 8 sound camera and projector for my birthday when I was a kid.  I had a collection of mostly 200', 400', and 800' condensed movies.  Some of my favorites were:

* CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (400' and 3-D!)
* IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (400' and 3-D!)
* ANIMAL HOUSE (800', mounted on two 400' reels)
* SLAPSHOT (400')
* BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (200')
* SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (200')
* FRANKENSTEIN'S NEW BRAIN (which was a condensed version of GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN on a 200' reel)

I remember getting a catalog in the mail for FULL LENGTH Super 8mm sound movies mounted on a series of 400' reels.  They were really expensive, but I very much wanted to get THE GODFATHER.  I think it was about $350 and this was in the late 1970s.  A small fortune at that time.

Dunno if you're aware, but there's actually been some fairly recent Super 8 releases.  There's a condensed version of Captain America (the Chris Evans version), for example, and a number of trailers.  Partly Cloudy (the Pixar short) is on Super 8.  There's small print runs still being made by small companies, I guess.  They're quite expensive still.  If you want to buy a feature, sometimes older films (like Laurel & Hardy) features can be had for $30-$100.  Anything in color will likely be $150+.  I moved into a smaller place and had to leave my film equipment in storage, otherwise I'd still have em.  Greatly enjoyed projecting stuff on film, a lot of fun.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »

Only three movies I wanted to see this year. Jodorowsky's DUNE; not playing in my town. Under The Skin; missed it altogether. The Creep Behind The Camera; not holding my breath...

I think I'd seek out the really obscure & indie crap that isn't gonna get much cinema play.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:11 PM »

I'd love to see some 80s/Early 90s cheese blown up to theatrical size, being more badass than ever. Something about a screen that size must make the cheesy goodness seem more intentional than ever before if you know what I mean. I'd love it. Plus I'm an 80s kid wannabe... (I was a 90s kid *sigh*)

I'd play stuff like...

Night of the Creeps
The Brain
TerrorVision
FrankenHooker
House
The Gate
The Video Dead
Child's Play
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Spookies
Neon Maniacs
Flesh Eating Mothers
Rabid Grannies
Troll
PumpkinHead
Ticks/Infested
Class of 1999
Maniac Cop 1 and 2
Beyond Dream's Door
Phantasm 2 and 3
Slime City

god... I'd be in heaven...
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »

i think Sharknado/Birdemic would be a nice double feature... for anyone that really hates themselves. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If you had your own theater/drive-in? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.