Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:05 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Woman kills kid on bicycle, sues kid's parents for emotional trauma « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Woman kills kid on bicycle, sues kid's parents for emotional trauma  (Read 4262 times)
claws
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »

Brandon was struck from behind by an SUV and killed while his friend Richard McLean, 16, was seriously injured with a broken pelvis and other bones. His other pal Jake Roberts, 16, was knocked off his bike but sustained only scratches.

Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

Source: torontosun.com
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

Brandon was struck from behind by an SUV and killed while his friend Richard McLean, 16, was seriously injured with a broken pelvis and other bones. His other pal Jake Roberts, 16, was knocked off his bike but sustained only scratches.

Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

Source: torontosun.com

Technically, she might have a case: if the boys own negligence caused her to strike them and she suffered trauma from that, she may be legally entitled to compensation (though not the obscene amount she's asking for). I still can't imagine the heartlessness required to initiate such a suit, or the shamelessness of any attorney who would agree to represent her.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »

It doesn't say whether the boys were using those two stroke engine kits after dark without proper lights & reflectors.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:06:13 AM »

Wait a minute . . . she ran over a kid.  She crushed the life out of a 16 year old with her vehicle.  His parents will never see him graduate high school, get married, or even see his smile one more time.   And SHE is suing THEM for HER emotional damage?? Hatred Hatred Hatred

I'm just going to come out and say it: This is a cold-hearted, evil woman who needs to roast in the lowest bowels of hell! Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »

Seriously, anybody look at the bike he's sitting on in the picture?
I built one of those a couple years ago.
It's neither bicycle nor moped; It's a death wish with wheels.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »

We won't go into the facts of the case. We'll leave that up to the court and the lawyers, but killing someone in a traffic accident can be emotionally traumatic for some people, even if they are not at fault. For example: a kid doesn't look where he or she is going and darts out into the road and gets nailed. Some people are so traumatized that they can't get over the emotional trauma without help. That's why an organization (whose name escapes me at the moment) was formed by people who had suffered such emotional trauma to provide help to those who have suffered and/or who will suffer such emotional trauma.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »

I still can't imagine the...shamelessness of any attorney who would agree to represent her.

Oh I can imagine that in about a nanosecond.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »

We won't go into the facts of the case. We'll leave that up to the court and the lawyers, but killing someone in a traffic accident can be emotionally traumatic for some people, even if they are not at fault. For example: a kid doesn't look where he or she is going and darts out into the road and gets nailed. Some people are so traumatized that they can't get over the emotional trauma without help. That's why an organization (whose name escapes me at the moment) was formed by people who had suffered such emotional trauma to provide help to those who have suffered and/or who will suffer such emotional trauma.

That's a good point, no one seems to think of the emotional shock the driver can go thru knowing they did such a thing.  This in no way negates the horror of what the victim and their family goes thru, but the fact remains that long after the dust settles, the driver has to live with what they did, and knowing he\she took someone's life is a hell in itself.
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

Yeah...but to sue the parents of the dead boy...that's just going too far.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »

Wait a minute . . . she ran over a kid.  She crushed the life out of a 16 year old with her vehicle.  His parents will never see him graduate high school, get married, or even see his smile one more time.   And SHE is suing THEM for HER emotional damage?? Hatred Hatred Hatred

I'm just going to come out and say it: This is a cold-hearted, evil woman who needs to roast in the lowest bowels of hell! Hatred

That was my initial gut reaction, but believe it or not some context does help. 

Sharlene Simon, the driver, hit the kid (and one other who was injured but lived) while he was bicycling in the middle of the street (a 50 MPH street at that) at night with no lights.  He was at fault in that, at least that's what the authorities say.  It's still terrible for everyone involved. 

Now, his parents are suing her for $900,000, and the injured kid's family is suing for $1.4 million.  Part of the lawsuit is that the brother of the dead kid died of a drug overdose, the parents saying he took his brother's death hard.  The dead kid's father claims Simon "was speeding, under the influence or texting at the time of the accident."  Yes, they literally don't know what she did wrong (there's no evidence or reason to believe any of those claims, except she was going 55 in a 50 zone, and the police specifically ruled out intoxication), but it MUST be something, according to their lawsuit.  Evidently they're trying the "throw everything and hope something sticks" method.

In other words, they're grasping at straws and trying to get a lot of money out of her without justification, as far as I can tell.  Perhaps they are blinded by grief.  This new lawsuit is basically a counter-suit from what I can tell.  It's a bit skeezy strategy perhaps, but I honestly consider it understandable in the circumstances. 
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »

That does make a bit of a difference. Still a horrible tragedy, though.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »

That does make a bit of a difference. Still a horrible tragedy, though.

Yeah, really. Seems as if everyone wants something from this. It says more about all of them than it does just one side. I don't know what to think...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Woman kills kid on bicycle, sues kid's parents for emotional trauma « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.