Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:30:01 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Did You Search for For Years and Finally Find « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Did You Search for For Years and Finally Find  (Read 5401 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: May 05, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »

This has pretty much gone away with the advent of the internet, but there was a time when you had to search the world for something you were interested in.

I was, and still am, a raving Illuminatus fan. Robert Anton Wilson wrote a secondary series called The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles. The first two books were easily available. The third, not so much. I spent ten years or so on a search for the third book. One day, I found it. The owner of the book store found out what he had after I paid for the book. I'm sure he wasn't happy that I just paid a few dollars for a book I spent the better part of a decade locating.

Oh, the book was a raving disappointment, but it had been my holy grail for years.

Do you have something you've seeked out for years and then found?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
claws
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:35 AM »

My DVD of Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell (1978). One day while organizing my DVD collection I noticed that my Devil Dog DVD was missing. I looked everywhere, but the disc was nowhere to be found. I didn't give it to anybody to watch and there was no reason for anybody to steal it. Months later I bought a second copy. I would check and search my collection (3000+) over the years but the first copy remained lost.
A few years later while re-organizing my collection again in alphabetically order I suddenly held two Devil Dog DVDs in my hands. My only explanation is that the first copy got somehow lost in my collection, and for some reason I kept overlooking it.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »

When my Mom was a little girl she saw a western with a little boy named Tump. via badmovies I was directed to a movie called "Jack Slade". Unfortunately, it wasn't on netflix and I didn't want to buy it because I wasn't sure it was the one. Eventually it came on on some channel and indeed, Tump appeared. He gets introduced and killed very quickly but there he was.
Couchtr26

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »

A decent pair of pants.       

No but in all honesty a good razor.  Used mass produced and didn't like and tried saftey razor which was nice but didn't like the feel.  Finally after searching found a nice older model from 1921: Gillette Tuckaway that has a good feel.  Small grip, smaller hands I have and good weight gives an aggressive shave that I am very pleased with in comparison to all my old shaves. 

Ah, the good old days.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »

Way back in the early 90s, I saw a movie starring Annette Bening which I recall featured a somewhat disturbing love triangle (of sorts). Couldn't recall the title for years but when I got online in the late 90s, through IMDB I learned it was The Grifters.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »

I hunted for artifacts for 12 years before I found my first Scottsbluff point (a finely flaked, 9000 year old style of spearhead).

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »

badmovies.org

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »

Rollerblade Warriors, the sequel to Rollerblade.  I remembered seeing it many years ago during an all-night drinking...thing.  It stuck with me for some reason.  For a long time it wasn't available on DVD and if memory serves, ex-rental VHS copies were outrageously priced.  Those good old days of Ebay and let's list it 500 times until some idiot comes along and buys it.  Finally it did show up on DVD for a reasonable price and I snatched it up in my dirty little paws!  It's actually better than I remember it being.  Or else my tastes have just gotten much lower since then.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »

I was looking for FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE for years, and finally found it at a DVD/VHS store in my neighborhood about 8-10 years ago.
I found EVERYTHING I had ever been looking for when I discovered the great MOVIE MADNESS store in SE Portland.  What a treasure trove!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »

At Chiller Theater (the East Coast one) I found a great DVD-R copy of the original "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark".  At the same show,  I found the uncut version of "Nightmare Castle' under the title "Night of The Doomed."

Other things? I found the other 3 uncut, subtitled Blind Dead movies on VHS at Midnight Video. And for online finds, I found at Youtube, the opening to the old Chiller Theater with the 6-fingered hand (Tri-State Area people know this one well).   As well, after years of other websites, I found Badmovies and decided to stay!   Cheers
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »

I looked and looked for years for a copy of Kim Stanley Robinson's "Pacific Edge" (This was pre internet), I finally find one (on my 25th birthday) and get it home, read it and found out I had read it in passing on a train a few years before in Europe, and didn't register the title at the time.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »

Oh gosh-some of the books I had as a kid-all my books-I LOVE BOOKS-I have 50 % of the books that I had then-still need a first edition of The Haunting of Hill house-I had a first edition back in the 70;s-I know its for sale on ebay-but I cant afford it on my paycheck! I;m a bookworm. I love books-! My home is filled with books-magazines-comic books-newspapers.
I love old books-even the smell of old books gives me a hard on.  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

badmovies.org

It's funny I did actually see the site  ages ago, remembered the green but then I lost it for years. Also I saw bothersome man in 2010 always wanted to watch it again, and no-one could help me until I asked about it here.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

Thats insane.  BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Did You Search for For Years and Finally Find « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.