Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Does anybody else miss renting? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Does anybody else miss renting?  (Read 10465 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »

I'm not talking about netflix and I'm not talking about redbox. 

I'm talking about a good old fashion videostore, where you could go in and you only had the slightest clue what you were looking for.  Maybe you wanted to see a Western or maybe you wanted to see a comedy, but other than that ... no idea. 

So you looked at the boxes.  The boxes had awesome imaginative covers (that were sometimes better than the actual movies) and the back of them told you the plot.  You didn't have a review or star ranking right there to look at.  You had to make a judgement call as to whether Bloodsucking Freaks was better than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  I mean, you'd heard Texas was a classic from some friends, but what do your friends know? 

Or maybe one of those times you DID have something specific in mind... but they were all out of copies.  So again, you wander up and down the isles, picking up boxes looking them over until something jumps out at you. 

That is what I miss.  I miss NOT knowing what something is going to be and the joy of discovery.   

Anybody else? 

Dagnabbit when did I start getting old? 
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:17 PM »

I'm lucky, or stubborn, because I still go to the local Hasting's and browse the rental shelves at least once a week.
Netflix would be cheaper, I know, but I just enjoy this way more.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:13 AM »

Yeah I miss those days of wandering the back isle of Blockbuster where they kept the direct-to-video stuff with all the marvelously misleading cover artwork.  I found a few gems back there.  I found a bunch of other stuff too.  And they had little signs with the employee's picks for good movies, so if you saw a list with something you liked you could maybe check out one of their other favorites.  And just the whole atmosphere of being surrounded by other folks that were going to spend their Friday evening sitting in front of their TV set.

What I don't miss is driving back in the next morning to drop it off though.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »

I don't miss renting very much.  I worked in a video store for several years in the 1980s and I got to take home whatever movies I wanted for free.  The only rules were:

* I had to wait until the store closed to grab the new releases (we had to give customers the opportunity to rent them)
* If I took home a new release, I had to return it the next morning so that it would be available for customers when the store opened

Plus, I got to order movies whenever our sales rep. came in.  Somehow, we ended up with copies of movies like THE WORM EATERS and THE CORPSE GRINDERS.  I wonder who ordered them?  Wink

After I quit that job, I only occasionally rented movies.  I used to buy them instead.  Then when DVDs took over the market, I got rid of all my VHS tapes and started a DVD collection.  I don't buy too many movies anymore (maybe about 20 per year at most).  I'm mostly a Netflix guy now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »

Yes. Movie night used to be more of an event when you had to drive to the store and browse the shelves looking for something that caught your eye. Like Jack said, though, returning them was a pain.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

It had its advantages and disadvantages.

The fun was browsing the aisles for the right movie, and there was always a bit of a thrill in that I never quite knew what I was getting. Once I got home, I was basically stuck with that movie and had to sit it out, even if terrible. Nowadays, I can start a film on netflix and switch to something else if I don't like it. There's something nice about having that freedom, but I also think it's given me a shorter attention span for movies.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Yes, I miss renting and there just being rental places around. Oh, you can still find them places but they're much rarer nowadays. Thanks to renting VHS tapes, I saw a wide range of films from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and before - more than I probably would have ever seen otherwise. It used to be a family or friends ritual to go to the video store and browse for some movies to pick up. I recall really enjoying the browse and search for the movie oftentimes more than the movies themselves. You'd search through all these different VHS box covers and of course, often the video box art was so much better than the actual movie. Then you'd get or make popcorn and watch the films with friends and/or family. The rewinding VHS and returning them the next day was an hassle so I often rented over the weekend during which many local stores let you keep the movies until Monday many of them being closed on Sunday so of course, many times I'd actually watch some of the movies more than once. I also rented an awful lot of wrestling videos  back in the 80s and 90s, primarily the 80s and saw a wide variety of wrestling from the 70s-80s WWWF/WWF, NWA, Canadian International Wrestling, and elsewhere. You could find obscure oddities on VHS and direct to video releases back then some of which are still not on DVD. The whole experience of renting actually involving some form of socialization is largely what I miss, the act of going out with friends and family, often times chatting with the video store clerks, etc.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Couchtr26

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »

I miss it.... to an extent.  There was a certain amount of joy in seeing what you could find.  Now things are easy to find but that slight excitement of what was available versus what you wanted to see.  Lead to some interesting times and a certain amount of oh wow I didn't think it would be there but was available. 

Ah, the good old days.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »

I'm lucky, or stubborn, because I still go to the local Hasting's and browse the rental shelves at least once a week.
Netflix would be cheaper, I know, but I just enjoy this way more.

There's something to this as well. Having paid a bit more for the movies, one was a bit more inclined to finish watching them to get one's money worth, even if the movies were sometimes awful. Still, it was fun watching with friends and family.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
VenomX73

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »

Yes - in a way I do miss the 80's mom and pops VHS rent stores.

Looking at all those bad movie VHS box covers, couldn't wait to get home and watch it.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »

I still rent movies pretty often. I visit my local videostore pretty often to see what new movies are out or if they have some interesting used movies to buy.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »

I guess I miss the stores more than the actual renting of movies.  Just walking up and down the aisles having no clue about what some of these movies were like and only reading the back description and cover art for information.  Its the same with book stores going out of business.  I often find it strangely hard to browse just using my kindle's amazon app.  The recommendations don't often match up with what I'm looking for. 

Sadly it corresponds to movie covers(posters)  just getting lazy.  Nothing to really get the eye interested anymore. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »

Nowadays, the closest thing I can get to matching the old school rental experience is browsing the VHS racks at thrift stores and the occasional yard sales, but even then VHS is becoming less and less common. Yes, I still have a working VCR, which my wife is baffled I keep, as most of our VHS has since left. I dunno, DVD is better, I guess, but finding a cheesy b-movie gem on VHS, particularly if one I haven't seen in years, is an experience that can't be matched.
claws
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »

I miss renting movies. I spend most of my teen years at video rental places. Lots of fond memories and good times.
voltron

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 07:18:47 AM »

I agree with you guys. It was really awesome when you'd stumble upon a great movie (good or bad) without knowing too much about it as far as reviews go in the pre internet days. For example, I discovered Black Christmas on VHS before it became so well known (not bragging though, just stating a fact). Totally blew my f**king mind. So yeah, there's a lot of nostalgia there for the old VHS stores.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Does anybody else miss renting? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.