Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:02:55 AM
713344 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death Wish series vs The Dirty Harry series « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death Wish series vs The Dirty Harry series  (Read 3547 times)
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 13, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »

I absolutely love both of these film series. Vigilante/Revenge makes for fun, compelling action drama. I was curious which series people prefer. I find this to be an incredibly difficult question. At first glance, the characters of Paul Kersey and Harry Callahan may seem quite alike, but when you think about it, they're not really. In many ways I think Paul is more dimensional and deep (at least in the first DW film). He almost does a complete 180 from beginning to end. The same could be argued about Harry, but I don't see him changing all that much in the first DH film. True, by the end he has tossed his badge (and presumably his career) aside, having realized the futility of the modern justice system, but it seems to me that he already pretty much knew this throughout the film. Kersey, on the other hand, transforms from a bleeding heart liberal to a reactionary vigilant totally disillusioned with the system.

Anyway, I could go on about these movies all day. Just looking at the first films in each series, I think Dirty Harry wins in terms of style and "cool", but Death Wish wins in terms of message and atmosphere (although Dirty Harry is pretty damned atmospheric at points). Thus I like them equally, but for different reasons--each gets 4 out of 4.

The sequels are another thing altogether.

thoughts on these series similarities and differences?
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »

Despite watching many sequels, I don't think I ever saw the original Death Wish.  Although I seem to remember the Mad Magazine parody, which may have been called 'Death Fish'.  I very much enjoyed the sequels, particularly III, IV and V.  They were just plain joyful shoot 'em dead movies.

As for Dirty Harry, I cannot say that I ever watched them in detail, not in recent memory.  Thanks for the prompt, I'll have to go back and look at them again.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »

Despite watching many sequels, I don't think I ever saw the original Death Wish.  Although I seem to remember the Mad Magazine parody, which may have been called 'Death Fish'.  I very much enjoyed the sequels, particularly III, IV and V.  They were just plain joyful shoot 'em dead movies.

As for Dirty Harry, I cannot say that I ever watched them in detail, not in recent memory.  Thanks for the prompt, I'll have to go back and look at them again.

I actually like death Wish III more than the original. Objectively speaking, I can admit the first Death Wish is probably better, but the third is just a really fun film. It really takes the series into almost comic book territory, but it's refreshing after Death Wish II, which is overall a bummer to watch.

Death Wish 4 feels a little bit like a late 80's after school special on the dangers of drugs with a ton of violence and cursing thrown in. It's a decent film but it tries just a little to hard to deliver a moral message and comes off as preachy propaganda. Death Wish V--the less said about that film, the better.

My favorite Dirty Harry other than the original is probably Sudden Impact, although they all have their merits. Dead Pool is probably the weakest of the series.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

can't claim to be an expert on either but it has to be Dirty Harry all the way for me... I still watch them when they come on telly. first 2 are the best IMO

for some reason I have a hard time watching the Death Wish films, they don't grip me like the Harry ones and I lose interest quite quickly. maybe I'll give them another bash at some point.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »

I think the difference between Harry Callahan and Paul Kersey is this:

As a police Callahan was trained how to fight and to handle certain situations, knowing full well the dangers an officer faces, and was already battle hardened thru years of experience.

On the other hand, Kersey's world changed virtually overnight, and he was forced to go out of his way to become something he never expected, and had to hone his craft as he went along and learn from his mistakes, knowing full well his first mistake might be his last (which is something both characters faced.)
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »

As a police Callahan was trained how to fight and to handle certain situations, knowing full well the dangers an officer faces, and was already battle hardened thru years of experience.

On the other hand, Kersey's world changed virtually overnight, and he was forced to go out of his way to become something he never expected, and had to hone his craft as he went along and learn from his mistakes, knowing full well his first mistake might be his last (which is something both characters faced.)

In that respect, I think the Kersey character always had a more interesting story arc through the series. Callahan never really grows as a person.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »

In that respect, I think the Kersey character always had a more interesting story arc through the series. Callahan never really grows as a person.

Another good point to go on, well said  Cheers
Callahan never grows because he's a constant-he's been there, done that and lived to tell about it.  

Then you have Kersey, who grew a little bit as he went along, getting more confident in his skills until he knew what he could do, and he also managed to maintain his humanity with others when not in vigilante mode, as where Callahan was always the straight-laced hard-ass who you could take at face value no matter what.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death Wish series vs The Dirty Harry series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.