Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:19:11 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  LOCAL / REGIONAL BANDS THAT SHOULD'VE BEEN BIG, BUT WEREN'T « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LOCAL / REGIONAL BANDS THAT SHOULD'VE BEEN BIG, BUT WEREN'T  (Read 5314 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: May 14, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »

This Cleveland band had one national hit, "He Can't Love You (Like I Love You)"; ironically, it wasn't sung by the usual lead singer, the guy the band was named after....

Michael Stanley Band - He Cant Love You Small | Large

Michael Stanley Band - Lover Small | Large

Michael Stanley Band - Midwest Midnight

Michael Stanley Band - Heartland Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »

I think these guys had three albums out but I don't know if they were ever much of an attraction outside of the Twin Cities.

Slave Raider - The Black Hole Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:35:49 PM »

I thought Portland's NU SHOOZ and QUARTERFLASH were both very talented husband-and-wife groups that only had one or two hits.  Shame.  Quarterflash played in my neighborhood park last summer.
NU SHOOZ- I Can't Wait
Nu Shooz I Can't Wait Small | Large

QUARTERFLASH- Harden My Heart
Quarterflash - Harden My Heart Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »

We had a band in New Jersey named Monroe who had a singer who was part Steven Tyler, part Vinnie Vincent with some Paul Stanley thrown in.  They had regular appearances on a pre-cable station called U-68 (The Underground) out of Newark, N.J. and I'm surprised they never got picked up by a major label!  Here's a clip:

Small | Large
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »

I remember QUARTERFLASH well...  

Who remembers BIG STAR?  Like lots of people, I love them now, but I didn't know their records then... in fact, the cover photograph of the red ceiling and light bulb unshaded fixture (their second album) is much more famous than the great album it comes off of...  BIG STAR were formed in Memphis!!!  

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:06:25 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »

The Dead Milkmen. 
The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl HD

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

The Raisins, an Ohio band that deserved to be big. They gave me one of my favorite sayings, the title of this song: "Fear is never boring."

The Raisins : Fear Is Never Boring Small | Large

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »

I don't live in Michigan, but I'm throwing one in for Michigan:
I have relatives in East Lansing, and back in 1986 or '7, I went to see them, and we wound up seeing a great little band called "Ded Engine" at a local bar. 

These guys should have been greater than they already were! Also, their bassist, Marky DeSade, was the bassist for a short-lived band called called Smashed Gladys, that I'm sure many of you remember well.

Small | Large

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

THE FOOLS - A very popular Boston club band back in the 1980s.  "Psycho Chicken" was their parody of "Psycho Killer."  They're still playing live shows locally.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »

I remember a lot of the bands in this thread (Monroe, Ded Engine, Quarterflash, Slave Raider)!

New Jersey's Bad Biscut were a sleazy punk/hard rock band that was a pretty big draw on the local circuit when I was in college in the late 80s/early 90s, I saw them a bunch of times opening for Joan Jett, the Ramones and others. I always described them to friends as "imagine Skid Row and Guns N Roses doing bong hits together at a Ramones show."
Bad Biscut, Blowin Smoke Small | Large

Their cover of "Highway to Hell" won an MTV contest that got them to open for AC/DC, and their one and only album (The American Dream?, 1994) was released by a label owned by one of Jon Bon Jovi's relatives.
Bad Biscut, Highway to Hell Small | Large

For whatever reason they never really caught on outside of the New York/New Jersey area and eventually fizzled out by the mid 90s. The lead singer, Keith Roth, is in a band called "Frankenstein 3000" nowadays and is also a DJ on Sirius/XM satellite radio last I heard.

I wrote a long, drooling fanboy piece about my love for their one and only studio album on my blog a while ago:

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Albums-Bad-Biscut-THE-AMERICAN-DREAM-1994

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »

And of course New Jersey also has the infamous Richie Knuckles and Knuckle Sandwich.   Here's a clip of Richie's earlier work, his cover of Bon Jovi's "Runaway".

Small | Large
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  LOCAL / REGIONAL BANDS THAT SHOULD'VE BEEN BIG, BUT WEREN'T « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.