Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:59 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Students Know Me Well!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Students Know Me Well!!  (Read 1495 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »

Tomorrow night is graduation, and I will watch and cheer and cry as these lovely young people that I have taught for the last six years leave our school and head out into the world.
Every year, I write each one of them a personal letter and give it to them at Senior Chapel, along with an arrowhead from my collection.
This year, I got a gift back.  It's an official Monty Python "Ministry of Silly Walks" wristwatch!!!

Do my kids know me or what??

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »

Oh wow, each one gets an arrowhead form your collection?!? 
That alone is worth more than anything else you could give them. Every time I found one as a kid, I felt like I was shaking hands with history.  Be that as it may, the wristwatch is pretty cool too!  Graduation for me was 31 years ago, and I look back and remember it as plain as day, although many days have passed since then..   Bluesad
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »

Umaril - I have over 8500 arrowheads in my personal finds collection, plus hundreds of others that I buy, sell, and trade.
I enjoy being generous with them!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »

Umaril - I have over 8500 arrowheads in my personal finds collection, plus hundreds of others that I buy, sell, and trade.
I enjoy being generous with them!

That many???

Man, you really know where to look! And being stuff of that nature is hard to find (and historically priceless as well) your generosity is unmatched, I'd say.   Cheers

A little history here:
When I lived in Asbury, N.J. ( a town during N.J.'s colonial days) the fields around the Muscenetcong river and the banks of the river itself yielded many things from Indian artifacts to old coins.  We even had remains of old Algonquin longhouses (the Lenape were Algonquin-speaking peoples.) They allegedly left Jersey in 1722 (their last lands being those along the Raritan river) and no joke, are now the Delawares of Texas!

If their totem animal is the turtle out in Texas, that would be them, as it was the Lenape totem animal as well. 

BTW: "Muscenetcong" means "Netcong's river" after the Lenni Lenape chief of the same name.  Other roads named after famous Lenape chiefs in NJ are Minneakoning road, and Takamergen(sp?) roads, both in Flemington, N.J. if I recall right.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »

I live in an area that was, in historic times, home to the Wichitas and Caddo - kind of on the fringe of each one's territory.  The local branch of the Wichitas were called the Tawakoni.  I got interested in picking up arrowheads when I was quite young and enjoy it a great deal.

If you ever want to acquire some points for any reason, give me a shout out!  I can make you an excellent deal on some nice pieces.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »

It must feel really good to get something like that from your kids Indy, wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school!

I think my grandpa used to find some arrowheads on their farm here in Minnesota, but then one day when he wasn't home some guy came around who was interested in those things, and my grandpa's dad gave the whole lot of them to him.  My gramps was not pleased.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »

It must feel really good to get something like that from your kids Indy, wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school!

I think my grandpa used to find some arrowheads on their farm here in Minnesota, but then one day when he wasn't home some guy came around who was interested in those things, and my grandpa's dad gave the whole lot of them to him.  My gramps was not pleased.

He GAVE them away? s**t, I wouldn't be pleased either!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

I live in an area that was, in historic times, home to the Wichitas and Caddo - kind of on the fringe of each one's territory.  The local branch of the Wichitas were called the Tawakoni.  I got interested in picking up arrowheads when I was quite young and enjoy it a great deal.

If you ever want to acquire some points for any reason, give me a shout out!  I can make you an excellent deal on some nice pieces.

Oh yeah, the Wichita and the Caddo. Very famous names. It's rumored that the word "Wichita" is a derivative of 'Washeeta" which was a river where a famous massacre of Oglala Sioux took place at the hands of the U.S. Army.

Not sure of which one took place first, but rumor had it that Washeeta river was payback for Crazy Horse's role in the Feterman massacre or vice versa.  

In any case, after Washeeta river, Red Cloud warned Custer to "stay away from the greasy grass" if he wanted to live.  That was the warning to stay away from Sioux territory in the future. And as we know, Custer apparently didn't listen.

Edited because the spell checker wouldn't allow the original spelling of the river name..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:08:38 PM by Umaril Has Returned » Logged
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »

Be carful, or they shall taunt you a second-timeuh.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Students Know Me Well!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.