Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:34:29 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Godzilla! *spoiler* « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Godzilla! *spoiler*  (Read 6790 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »

It opened here last week: should I see it in 3D or 2D?

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »

We saw it in 3D, but having seen it, I found myself thinking that I would have been happy seeing it on a regular screen.  The 3D was not "in your face" sort of stuff, rather lending depth to the scenes, but I believe my brain normally does that anyway.  The deep sounds that accompanied parts of the film provided me more of a feedback on the scale than the 3D aspect.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pilgermann

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 12:55:13 AM »

I enjoyed it overall but it totally lacks the enthusiastic charm of the older films that I love.  The dialogue was silly, expositional stuff that would fit right in one of the 70's films but was delivered in such a serious way that it kept it from being amusing.  There's plenty of other things I didn't like about it but I'd still say give it a go.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 04:07:52 AM »

I finally saw it today. I complain that most movies today don't have enough story to make them work. They seem to be all slick action and not enough substance. With this movie, I found myself wishing for more mindless violence on a colossal scale and less of the cardboard cutout character crud. I wasn't drawn to the people; the writers tried, but ultimately the characters weren't human enough to care about. I was begging for things to move along to the fight. I did like that there were nice little touches hearkening back to the old Godzilla movies, such as the Japanese scientist who believes that Godzilla is there to restore balance rather than to destroy humanity. That was very much the spirit of many of the earlier films. I also liked the Muto designs, though I found myself wanting to see a fight or two happen during the day for a better look at them. There was too much smoke and darkness, which may have saved on the budget but ultimately left me a bit disappointed. I liked the design of Godzilla also, but again, I wanted to see more. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I did enjoy the movie overall, and the writers and directors did a good job of adapting the Godzilla mythos for an American audience. I just wanted a bit more of the goofy charm of the earlier films. Godzilla is a rather silly concept. Let him loose to fight in whatever silly way he wants and leave character development to movies that call for it.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Neville

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »

I liked it. Sort of.

I enjoyed the way the plot progressed, and also the fact that neither Godzilla nor the rest of the creatures cared much about the humans. Seriously, most of the time they simply don't seem to know we're down there. It struck me as a surprisingly clever (and simple) move from the writers / director. I mean, if I ever end up in a fistfight behind a bar the last thing I'm gonna notice are the flies or the ants.

On the other hand, I found the whole thing surprisingly not funny. This has to be the most somber monster movie I've ever seen. I'm not suprised if Americans don't find crumbling buildings and clouds of smoke as fun as they used to, but hey, what's the point of showing monsters destroying cities if we're not going to be allowed some outlet to our primal movie emotions, those who place explosions and accidents over character development? If you're not gonna let me enjoy the destructrion, you might as well show me a remake of "Twelve angry men" starring kaijus.

So, an OK film, a hell bettter than the Roland Emmerich version, but still not a match to "Pacific Rim", which IMHO is the best monster movie of the last 10 years.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
akiratubo

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »

Eh, this was ok.  Godzilla needed a serious diet but otherwise he looks right, acts right, and sounds right.  That counts for a lot.  There needed to be more evident damage to the MUTOs and Godzilla during the fight (re: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs Destroyer to see this done right).

There probably was enough Godzilla, just too much movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
VenomX73

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »

3 weeks later - my work schedule and my girl's work schedule - so bad last month...no excuse.

SO anyway - just got back from the movie...

I loved it. I have to say though - REALLY good and a few bads.

Bads for me Imo - it was so sad in the beginning of the movie that made me almost cry, man lol...
also Godzilla was a little on the heavy side. Not a bad design though.
Story was a bit too long I think - Muto was a Cloverfield cheap type of a monster.
They should have made the emp blast hurt Godzilla in some way - Mutos was way out of Godzilla's league!

Goods - Godzilla's fire blast. Man that was just too AWESOME. I loved how how G spit flames into Muto's mouth.
Yes- I cheered when Godzilla did that lol. I also like how much destruction was in this movie... DAMN, was like watching 2012!
The halo drop was too cool - I would love to do that.
I also LOVE the new Godzilla theme- sounds great! almost like the Japanese Army march from old G movies.

In the end - it made me feel proud to be a Godzilla fan.

for the next Godzilla film I suggest an Alien controlled "new" MechaGodzilla vs Godzilla not a reboot of (1974)
maybe add some other monsters from Godzilla's past too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:10:46 PM by VenomX73 » Logged

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
VenomX73

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »

Another thing I'll say is that Godzilla's breath weapon looked too much like real flames, they could have made it like a cone like they did in all the movies, with just slight flickering flames around the edges.

I was actually OK with it looking like a stream of nuclear plasma.  Wished it left scars on the MUTO, or some other sign of visible injury (along with the side effects for humans in the area).  Perhaps there were injuries to the MUTO and I missed them while trying to take in the whole movie.

Ok then, I'm in the same boat -
I was thinking the same thing. No cuts, no blood, no limbs ripped off, no ash on Muto's face after that 1st blast! Nothing.

1 more thing I want to add - The 'Mutos' lived in the ancient dinosaurs days right? When radioactivity was everywhere...
So - I was thinking when I got home - how did regular fire kill the baby Mutos? (that was kinda lame)
Like the female Mutos took Godzilla's 1st fire blast like a champ...

Godzilla should have ate the baby Muto cone - just sayin Smile

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who absolutly lost it when Godzilla used his atomic breath and thought that it was the greatest thing ever for simply being. This is the first time I actually got to see that on a big screen.

I also have a word or two for every single person tossing, "Godzilla's fat!" around. Look at any of the Toho films: can you say "thunder thighs"?

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Godzilla! *spoiler* « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.