Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:32:20 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy's Ghost (1944) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mummy's Ghost (1944)  (Read 2661 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 17, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »

In Egypt, the High Priest of KarnakArkan gives his slightly disbelieving disciple, Yousef, the task of going to America to capture the mummy Kharis and use him to find the Princess Ananka.  Yousef does so but runs into a snag.  Ananka's mummy crumbles to dust before he can reanimate it as has been done to Kharis.  It seems that Anaka's soul has been reincarnated.  Well, darn.  Yousef need not fret, however, for Anaka's current form just so happens to be in the very same town where he and Kharis are holed up.  Yousef and Kharis capture Amina, Ananka's reincarnation, but Yousef decides to take her for his own bride.  Had Yousef paid just a little more attention to the old High Priest, he's have realized that Kharis might take exception to that ...

This is basically the same movie as The Mummy's Tomb, obviously rushed out when the former film turned into a startlingly huge hit.  It's ... okay.  If you liked The Mummy's Tomb you should like this, too.  You'd probably be better off just watching the other movie again, though.

The Mummy's Ghost has a few points of distinction compared to its progenitor.  Someone seems to have informed the screenwriters that Karnak is a place, not a god, so the bad guys have suddenly become the Priests of Arkan (or ArkaM, depending on whether its George Zucco or John Carradine saying it).  Yousef, unlike his predecessor Mehemet, was not raised from birth to carry out the will of KarnakArkan, so the old High Priest has to fill him in on the plot.  Yousef doesn't seem to strictly believe what he's hearing but grudgingly agrees to go to American to find Kharis and Ananka.  (Yousef's less than devout adherence to the strictures of KarnakArkan/m will actually come into play later, somewhat surprisingly.)

This brings us to the second point of distinction.  Kharis, for some reason, doesn't require constant infustions of tana leaf tea to remain animated; he's up and about all the time.  Still, he's addicted to  the stuff after a couple thousand years of dependence, so if someone brews some he'll home in on it.  This will have one of two effects: if Yousef brews it, Kharis will do whatever he commands so that Yousef will give him his precious tea.  If anyone else brews it, Kharis will kill the s**t out of them and guzzle it down.

Our third point of distinction is that The Mummy's Ghost brings back a plot point from the 1932 The Mummy: the female lead is actually the titular mummy's mortal love, reincarnated.  Much like The Mummy's Tomb influenced every monster and slasher movie for the next 50 or 60 years by inventing the scene where two teenagers see the monster but are too busy making out to pay any attention to it, The Mummy's Ghost made it pretty much impossible to find a mummy movie that didn't use this plot device.  The Mummy's Ghost puts the cliche to excellent use, too.  Whereas Mehemet got sidetracked from his mission because he got a hardon for some random chick, Yousef actually does capture Princess Ananka.  But remember he's not the strictest adherent to his religion.  Why should he put a hot chick like Amina to waste turning her into an immortal mummy like Kharis when he could just bone her?  In the last movie, Kharis may not have been able to defy Mehemet but here, things are different.  Yousef isn't about to get pervy with some random woman, this is Ananka, the woman Kharis has loved for thousands of years in undeath!  Cue the ass-whipping.

Yep, Kharis does end up being the de-facto hero by the movie's end.  Lord knows Amina's worthless boyfriend isn't up to the task.  Hell, some random dog turns out to be more useful than him!

All in all, this movie is ... okay, like I said.  I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »

I love mummy movies but yeah, those middle sequels in the Universal series all kind of blend together with their near-identical plots.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »

I like it alot.
I have it on vhs-when I wake up about 2 in the morning half drunk and wanna put on a movie that is comfy-like bagels and cream cheese for my brain-this movie fits the bill.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »

It's a fairly strong movie, not the best in the series, not the worst. 
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »

I agree with the others, it's a pretty good Mummy film from the later sequels even if it does rehash some previous plot devices. Probably a bit below most of the other sequels though aside from Curse but still, I liked it. It's fun.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

I have the Universal boxed set of Mummy movies.  I especially enjoy watching this stuff on rainy Saturday afternoons or very late at night.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »

The trailer:

Small | Large
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy's Ghost (1944) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.