Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:47:33 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rise of the Zombies (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rise of the Zombies (2012)  (Read 2396 times)
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 11, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

I recently watched this movie on netflix and it is GOD AWFUL. Here are just a few points:

The film's poster art deceivingly portrays Danny Trejo as the star, yet he is barely in the film. I'm sure the producers figured they could capitalize on his recent popularity (Machete series, in particular), and I wouldn't be surprised if his salary took a significant part of the budget. The rest of the cast varies from good to bad...Poor Levar Burton does his best with the material he's been given, but you can sense he's a little embarrassed to be in the film. Mariel Hemingway basically sleepwalks through the entire film...clearly just collecting a paycheck.

The film borrows various zombie tropes...it's all very inconsistent...in some scenes, the zombies are slow walking shamblers a la Romero zombies, but in other scenes they can be seen running like the zombies and infected in The Dawn of the Dead remake and 28 Days Later, respectively.

Anyone else seen this? It's laughably bad...I made it through the film, but it was quite painful.
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »

I meant to add about the inconsistencies in the zombie behavior--watching this film, I got the sense that the director and writer had no real appreciation for horror or zombie movies, they merely wanted to cash in on the popularity of zombies in the last decade and so they sat down and said, "let's take every cool element ever used in other zombie movies and throw them all together, even if it makes for an incoherent film rife with plotholes." Seriously, I don't think there was one original thing about this film, and they don't even try to present anything in a clever way. "Sure, let's have a helicoptor! And let's have a scientist guy who is working on a cure"
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »

not seen this but I think the whole concept of zombies in movies was already played out by the 90s tbh.... since then only shaun of the dead has really done anything interesting and above all good with the genre IMO. if someone makes a zombie film in 2014 they need a pretty good excuse and an original twist

- by the way don't pay attention to my screen name, I'm not obsessed with zombie movies or anything :)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

not seen this but I think the whole concept of zombies in movies was already played out by the 90s tbh.... since then only shaun of the dead has really done anything interesting and above all good with the genre IMO. if someone makes a zombie film in 2014 they need a pretty good excuse and an original twist

- by the way don't pay attention to my screen name, I'm not obsessed with zombie movies or anything :)

I liked 28 Days Later, but it's not really a true zombie film.

I really, really f--king hate it that zombies have to run in films now. It really bothers me to no end. I suppose 28 Days is largely to blame for that, unless you want to blame it on Return of the Living Dead.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »

Fast Z's are no more than any other average beasties. Tremors Grabboids, giant rabbits...kinda...or those huge snakes. remove the 'undead humans who were once just like us' and It makes less sense then I can deal with already.
Just nothin' special at all.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »

I meant to add about the inconsistencies in the zombie behavior--watching this film, I got the sense that the director and writer had no real appreciation for horror or zombie movies, they merely wanted to cash in on the popularity of zombies in the last decade and so they sat down and said, "let's take every cool element ever used in other zombie movies and throw them all together, even if it makes for an incoherent film rife with plotholes." Seriously, I don't think there was one original thing about this film, and they don't even try to present anything in a clever way. "Sure, let's have a helicoptor! And let's have a scientist guy who is working on a cure"

Let's not forget that back around 1980 or so, Bruno Mattei, aka 'Vincent Dawn" created the ultimate piece of cheese ripoff with "Hell Of The Living Dead" aka "Night Of The Zombies."  Everything from the original Dawn of The Dead soundtrack to the one piece of dialogue from Night Of The Living Dead that starts with "In the university's cold storage we had a cadaver"....  no matter what movies come and go, THIS one will be THE zombie rip-off movie.
Lyedecker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »

Let's not forget that back around 1980 or so, Bruno Mattei, aka 'Vincent Dawn" created the ultimate piece of cheese ripoff with "Hell Of The Living Dead" aka "Night Of The Zombies."  Everything from the original Dawn of The Dead soundtrack to the one piece of dialogue from Night Of The Living Dead that starts with "In the university's cold storage we had a cadaver"....  no matter what movies come and go, THIS one will be THE zombie rip-off movie.

for every genius creation, there seem to be 100 copycat hacks eagerly ready to profit with vastly inferior products.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rise of the Zombies (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.