Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:06:08 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Ghost Ship (1943) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ghost Ship (1943)  (Read 2673 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 17, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »

A merchant marine, Tom, fresh out of training, takes a job as third officer aboard the Altair.  He quickly comes to realize that Captain Stone, master of the Altair, is at the very least dangerously abusive in his application of "authority" and possibly a murderer, as well.  A man named Louis - who had been critical of Stone's policies - turns up dead, buried under a mound of chain after being locked inside the chain compartment as the anchor was being withdrawn.  Captain Stone as much as admits the murder to Tom.

Tom presses charges against Stone when the Altair makes land but Captain Stone is well-connected within the shipping company and the other men testify that Stone has done nothing wrong as far as they've seen, so all the hearing does is embarrass Tom.  Hell, it comes out that Tom was so incompetent he didn't even order the men to secure a cargo hook in rough seas, which led to a lifeboat being smashed and several of the men being injured while trying to secure it as it bashed around.  It was actually Captain Stone who refused Tom's request to secure the hook but there are no witnesses to this fact aside from Tom himself, Stone having made sure no one else was around both times Tom begged the captain to allow him to secure the hook.  Stone is an experienced bully, see, and knows enough to make sure there's always a scapegoat on hand.

Tom, to his credit, resigns his post on the Altair, even though Stone says there will be no sour grapes.  Too bad for Tom that he decides to intervene when he sees some racist sailors accost a black man and gets beaten unconscious for his trouble.  He awakens aboard the Altair.  I'm sure you see where this is going.

The Ghost Ship has a tight script and an able cast (but for one exeption - more on this later), so why did I put it in Bad Movies?  Well, it's boring.  I'm not sure how it can be, what with its brief length and really rather fast pacing, but it is.  Director Mark Robsen has an almost Frank Darabont-like way of wringing tedium out of setups that would seem to be impervious to such.  Half-ton cargo hook knocking sailor and lifeboats around?  What must be a couple tons of chain piling on top of a guy?  A man waking up right back in the middle of the very horrible situation he narrowly managed to escape just a moment ago?  In Robsen's hands, all this thrilling stuff somehow comes off as decidedly soporific.  I hate to be too harsh on him, though.  This was a b-picture and probably made under extreme financial and time constraints.

I mentioned above that the cast is able, with one exception.  They certainly are.  None of them are what I'd call great actors but they all do fine in their roles.  Then there's the one.  Would you look at that, it's my old friend, Skelton Knaggs!  Yes, the same Skelton Knaggs I once declared to be The Worst Actor Ever on the strength (?) of his performance in Isle of the Dead, even though he only had like one minute of screen time and maybe five lines.  His, er, performance in The Ghost Ship did nothing to make me reconsider granting him that esteemed title.  Here, he plays a mute who often stares off into space, thinking to himself about how much it sucks to be a mute.  I don't know if he did his own voiceover narration because there's no way in hell I'm watching even one minute of Isle of the Dead - especially the one minute with him in it - again to see if it's the same voice, so he gets a pass on the lifeless vocal part of his performance.  However, the utter failure of the rest of his performance is inarguably his own.  He can't even convincingly freaking stare off into space!  He sucks so much it's almost awe-inspiring.

Here's to you, Skelton Knaggs!   Cheers

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:32:42 AM »

I pretty much felt the same way about that movie.  A nice character study, but it's just sooooo slow moving.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »

Hot dam...I seen it-thats a creaker. Like a really slow door-....creaaaaak...take a nap....end credits.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »

It's not surprising that The Ghost Ship is the weakest of Val Lewton's horror films at RKO. Compared to his other films such as Cat People, I Walked With A Zombie, The Seventh Victim or The Body Snatcher, it just doesnt have the thrills and suspense that the others conveyed.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »

I enjoyed it and rather liked Isle of the Dead too but then I don't mind a film being a bit slow and creaky at times. These slower creakier films sometimes feel something of a throwback to the silent era films where visuals were more important than talking....

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

I bought the Val Lewton boxed set a few years ago.  I think this is the only movie in the set I haven't watched yet!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Ghost Ship (1943) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.