Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:51:32 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Hard Times (1975) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hard Times (1975)  (Read 3388 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 20, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »

During the depression, a man named Chaney arrives in Louisiana.  He enters an underground boxing match for some quick cash and wins the fight with one punch.  He meets a promoter named Speed, who offers to get Chaney a shot at some real money matches.  Chaney agrees.  He goes on to win a couple matches against local businessman Gandil's bully boys.  Incensed, Gandil brings in a ringer from Chicago, a big man named Street, to take Chaney out.

And that's pretty much the whole thing.  Sure, sure, the movie drags its feet a little bit with the skeleton of a romance between Chaney and some woman, plus there's a bit about Gandil kidnapping one of Speed's friends to ensure Chaney shows up to fight Street.  The plot is so focused and so bare I'm amazed this movie made it to feature length.  I can picture screenwriter/director Walter Hill doing a run-through in pre-production and realizing he only had about 30, maybe 40 minutes of movie.  "Whoa, gotta throw some padding in here."

The punch ups are pretty good.  Unfortunately, Hill used an age-old trick to make them seem longer than they actually were: he filmed a few stunt sequences from different angles simultaneously and tried to pass it off as one long fight in editing.   This is especially evident in the fight against the thug played by Bob Tessier.  See if you can count how many times they replay the exact same 1-2-3 combo from Chaney.  According to Walter Hill, this was necessary because Charles Bronson, who plays Chaney, had very little stamina due to being a heavy smoker.  "He could only fight for about 30 seconds at a time," so he says.  The climactic fight with Street has no evidence of this kind of thing, however.  One assumes that the filmmakers took extra time to shoot the money scene so that Bronson could recover between takes and do more involved stunt work.  And, yes, it is obviously Bronson doing all his own fighting and stunts.

My main gripe with this movie is that Chaney is too tough.  No matter how much of a beating he takes, he never seems any worse for wear.  After the fight, he just puts his jacket back on, collects his money, and walks off.  He never even so much as looks tired.  I know Hill probably thought that made Chaney look too cool for words but it just doesn't work for me.  I grew up watching heroes that showed how much it hurt to win a fight, be it Rocky, RoboCop, Dutch from Predator, or John McClane.  These guys were cool because they played through the pain.  Chaney coming out of a beating completely unaffected is almost boring in comparison.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »

I remember seeing this one in the theater with my dad. Very good movie and I catch it occasionally when it's on TV (last time I can't remember when). 
Neville

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »

One of the early Walter Hill movies, when he was building a reputation as one of Peckinpah's heirs. I quite like the film as it is, with a barebones plot and tough guys. It must be one of the best films Bronson made in that era, and the final fight is awesome.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »

Missed it when it was first released, but I later caught it on TV. I'll just add my praise for the film to everybody else's. Probably one of Charles Bronson's best performances.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »

Bronson was so bad-ass in this.  He made an appearance on the Red Skelton show in his boxing attire.  He really was a tough mf.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »

I like anything CHARLES BRONSON did, even when he was credited as BUCHINSKY.   Add JAMES COBURN and I'm good to go.   I like HARD TIMES

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Hard Times (1975) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.