Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:29:26 AM
713392 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 24845 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 02:33:06 AM »

One of my best friends (who lives interstate) just texted to me, 'Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet?  It is the greatest movie I have ever seen.  Batista is funny as fxxk.'

I truly need to make time to see this in cinemas while it is still showing.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

One of my best friends (who lives interstate) just texted to me, 'Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet?  It is the greatest movie I have ever seen.  Batista is funny as fxxk.'

I truly need to make time to see this in cinemas while it is still showing.

It might be there for awhile. While it has been replaced by "the Turtles" as the #1 film in America, to date, it has earned over $182 million at the box office.

While the film may no longer be #1, the album soundtrack, after debuting at #3, is the #1 album in America. It is also the #1 album in Canada, the #7 album in Australia, the #19 album in New Zealand, and the #20 album in Denmark.

Good news for groups and individuals like . . .

Blue Swede -- the Raspberries -- Norman Greenbaum -- David Bowie -- Elvin Bishop -- 10cc -- The Jackson 5 -- Redbone -- The Runaways -- Rupert Holmes -- Five Starships -- and the estates of the late Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.

All of whom are featured on the soundtrack album.

If the soundtrack album continues to do well, we then might see more films featuring the "oldies and moldies" as background music. Which is all to the good (IMHO) as I quit listening to contemporary music back in the '70's.

And the soundtrack album for "Frozen" continues to roll along. It is still in the Top 10 at #8, and it has sold over 3,000,000 units.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »

This may have changed, but the last time I looked at the box office results, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" was still the #1 film at the box office. Still, "Guardians of the Galaxy," again the last time I looked, had grossed $800 million at the box office world wide. So, we are still going to get "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" sometime in 2017.

Where "Guardians of the Galaxy" is #1 is in sell of cds. Still #1, though sales declined 15% from the week before, it still sold 93,000 units. And the "Frozen" soundtrack just keeps rolling along. Previously, it has been #8 on the list of cds sold, but it has moved back to #3 on the best selling list.

And . . .?! Frankly, I can't understand the appeal of this, but if you can't wait for the blu-ray or dvd to come out, next month the characters from the film are featured as part of "Disney Infinity : 2.0 edition" aka "Disney Infinity : Marvel Superheroes." With the characters being "heavily inspired" by the film. What I find most interesting about this is that we get it later than most. "We" being North America, including the U.S. Australia, the U.K., and the rest of Europe gets it's release a day or several days before we do.

More news as it becomes available.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »

*It's very good. Ithas a Speibergian/George Lucas-y feel to it. I think that's why the soundtrack is mostly songs that would have still been popular around the time EMPIRE STRIKES BACK/RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK came out. Although all the ones I've seen have been above average, this is my favorite Marvel movie, probably because it takes place in a galaxy far, far away and not in the "Marvel Universe." I have no problem awarding it a 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »

*It's very good. Ithas a Speibergian/George Lucas-y feel to it. I think that's why the soundtrack is mostly songs that would have still been popular around the time EMPIRE STRIKES BACK/RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK came out. Although all the ones I've seen have been above average, this is my favorite Marvel movie, probably because it takes place in a galaxy far, far away and not in the "Marvel Universe." I have no problem awarding it a 4.5/5.

With all due respect, Rev.

"You haven't seen anything yet!"

Rumor has it, that in the 3rd film in both series, the Guardians of the Galaxy team up with the Avengers to take down Thanos, Red Skull, Loki, etc. and a horde of rampaging squirrels. (The last is a joke, but the rest is supposedly true.) With the film coming out sometime after 2017.

Well, so much for $800 million. The latest box office gross for the film is somewhere, as I understand it, in the neighborhood of $600 million. With the domestic gross being somewhat south of $300 million, and the foreign gross being somewhat north of $300 million. Or once again the foreign box office gross once again outperforming the domestic box office gross. Or, the foreign box office becoming more important for American films than the domestic box office.

Maybe, I was thinking of "Maleficent." That one does look like it is approaching $800 million. With it doing far better overseas than here at home. With a ratio of over $2.00 earned overseas for every $1.00 earned at home.

"GoTG" is proving to have "legs." Even with weak competition at the box office, it was again the #1 film at the box office over the Labor Day Weekend.

And while the soundtrack has slipped off the list from #1, it does have one unique characteristic that has never been matched by any other record. It is the only soundtrack to reach #1 on the lists, that has not one original song on it.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 07:45:59 AM »

I took the kids to see it Friday night.  While it didn't have a lot of quotable lines (besides "I am Groot!" - which quickly became old after the 50th time Andy and Garrett repeated it), it was a heck of a lot of fun. 

Drax did have some funny lines, though Batista's acting was the most wooden of the cast.  My favorite is the comedy trio made up of Rocket, Groot, and Peter Quill.  There were a few times when each used the other as a foil for jokes, mostly due to Groot's limited vocabulary or Rocket's insane unpredictability. 

I also thought that the film's mixture of high technology and gritty mechanics was very much like Star Wars. 

So, Mr. Gunn created a fun film from what I was concerned was a nearly impossible premise. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

I took the kids to see it Friday night.  While it didn't have a lot of quotable lines (besides "I am Groot!" - which quickly became old after the 50th time Andy and Garrett repeated it), it was a heck of a lot of fun. 

Drax did have some funny lines, though Batista's acting was the most wooden of the cast.  My favorite is the comedy trio made up of Rocket, Groot, and Peter Quill.  There were a few times when each used the other as a foil for jokes, mostly due to Groot's limited vocabulary or Rocket's insane unpredictability. 

I also thought that the film's mixture of high technology and gritty mechanics was very much like Star Wars. 

So, Mr. Gunn created a fun film from what I was concerned was a nearly impossible premise. 

So did a lot of other people.

Made proof by the box office, which is always a-changin'.

During the summer box office, which I believe runs from May 2 to September 1, the film grossed $280 million, which would make it the top grossing film at the box office. Still, even at that I believe the amount grossed at the international box office was even higher, even though American superhero films are considered a hard sale overseas. Thus, with its relative success both here and overseas, we can still expect a "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" sometime in 2017. And the rumor continues that the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy will meet up for the 3rd film in each series. And we shall see what we shall see.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »

The rumor also has it, that the 3rd film in "The Avengers" series, or the one scheduled for 2018, will be split into two films, as there will be so much happening in the 3rd film. Normally, I am not in favor of splitting films in two, as most of the time, I see merely as a way to drag a film series out and make more money from it. But, this does make a bit more sense. Introduce the Avengers in the 1st film, then team them up with the Guardians of the Galaxy in the 2nd half for the smack-down of all smack-downs. But . . .?! Till then . . .

All leads to all in the Marvel University.

Gamora and Rocket leads to . . .

Wells, Medina, and Berberi's
"Nova"
v. 1-2. issues 1-10
A 14-and-a-half-year-old. Half Latino. Half white. Superhero.

If they get any younger, then we'll be back to the days of Diaper Man. Though, he could swing a mean baby bottle. And that was in the days, when baby bottles were still made out of glass and not plastic. (Oh, that's got to hurt!)

And considering the target audience, this comic novel is a really odd mixture of comedy, sex, and violence.

Which leads to . . .
teens Speed ball and Justice trying to get the old team together again.

Which leads to . . .
Thanos

Which leads to . . .
"Avengers: Thanos Rising" sometime in 2018, if the rumor is true.
With the title character being portrayed by Josh Brolin and the character's voice done by Andrew Dice Clay.

And there is a rumor out there, that Loki is also scheduled to get his own film sometime in the future.
That'd be interesting.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

Two thoughts that I hadn't posted before.

One is concerned with Peter's mom dying of cancer.  Is it possible that Peter's father was the reason she had cancer?  He was some sort of alien.  Maybe he is radioactive. Perhaps conceiving Peter is what doomed the mother.  Egad, but that is dark.

Two is that I was reminded of The Chronicles of Riddick for a few reasons. One being the sojourn to the prison, and the second being the overall feel or style of the film and technology.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:25 AM »

Two thoughts that I hadn't posted before.

One is concerned with Peter's mom dying of cancer.  Is it possible that Peter's father was the reason she had cancer?  He was some sort of alien.  Maybe he is radioactive. Perhaps conceiving Peter is what doomed the mother.  Egad, but that is dark.

Two is that I was reminded of The Chronicles of Riddick for a few reasons. One being the sojourn to the prison, and the second being the overall feel or style of the film and technology.

The same had occurred to me: that his mom had been exposed to some sort of cancer-causing factor due to her association with his alien dad.    Hmmm.  Have to wonder what there was about those scenes that conveyed that idea.

Definitely a hint of 'Riddick' here and there in the overall style.  It works.   Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »

I never got that impression. I'm fairly sure that Peter's dad is going to be Adam Warlock.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »

The same had occurred to me: that his mom had been exposed to some sort of cancer-causing factor due to her association with his alien dad.    Hmmm.  Have to wonder what there was about those scenes that conveyed that idea.

I am not familiar with the comics that the movie is based on, so we can rule that out.  My best guess is that when we meet Peter's mom she is dying of cancer, and mentions that his father was from outer space and shining or bright (or words to that that effect).  The idea that Peter's extraterrestrial dad could have given her cancer hit me in the theater during that scene, and I've only seen the movie once.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

I am not familiar with the comics that the movie is based on, so we can rule that out.  My best guess is that when we meet Peter's mom she is dying of cancer, and mentions that his father was from outer space and shining or bright (or words to that that effect).  The idea that Peter's extraterrestrial dad could have given her cancer hit me in the theater during that scene, and I've only seen the movie once.

SPOILERS! AHEAD!

Interesting. It's not something I thought of, when I saw the film, but it is something similar to what I might have thought of, which makes that such an interesting idea. I will say that there is a significant difference between how she dies in the film, of cancer, and how she dies in the newest comic version, killed by an alien race called the Badoon. And like most people, I have heard the rumor that Peter's father will be Adam Warlock in the next "Guardians of the Galaxy," which is scheduled to be released in 2017. Which again is different than the newest comic version, where Peter's father is J'son of Spartax, who crashed here on earth a number of years ago, and before he repaired his space ship and left, he left Peter's mother with a child Peter. J'son is now ruler of Spartax, which then makes Peter the crown prince of Spartax and the next heir to the throne. As for the 3rd film in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" series, it was scheduled to be released in 2018, when the Guardians team up with the Avengers. But, the most recent rumor has it that it will be postponed to 2019, as the 3rd film in the Avengers series will be split into 2 films. The Avengers in 2018 and the Avengers + the Guardians of the Galaxy in 2019.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »

Peter's Father
Well, it won't be J'Son of Spartax, as we've been promised by the makers of the next film, that it won't be. I don't know how I feel about that, as he is becoming one of the most interesting and one of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe. Like any good ruler, he cares about his people, but more than that, what do you do with an unruly child, who is always getting into trouble, such as Crown Prince Peter. Now multiply that 1 child by 3 billion, and you get how he feels towards the people of earth, for whom he still has feelings. And it looks like more and more that Peter's father will be Adam Warlock. All to be revealed in the next film.

But, you need not wait till 2017, to get your "Guardians of the Galaxy" fix. Coming up next year or 2015 is "Guardians of the Galaxy: the Animated Series" on Disney XD. With all the major characters from the film. It'd be nice for the actors who played the characters to voice their animated characters, but that might be too expensive.

Music
One of the things that just drives me bats about today's filmmakers, with some exceptions, is their apparent misunderstanding about the importance of the music in the film. One of the exceptions being the people who made this film. I just hope the music is as good the 2nd time around, as it was this time.

Villains
No idea who is to be the villain for the 2nd film in the series, but it seems more and more likely, that for the 3rd film in the Avengers series, which will continue into the 3rd film of the "Guardians of the Galaxy," we are going to get a Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet story line. Not a story line I particularly like, as it makes Thanos too powerful (IMHO,) but with that story line out of the way, maybe we will get an origins of Thanos story line based on "Thanos Rising."

And it's a joke, son. It's a joke.
One of the last times I mentioned Diaper Man, but I was joking. Maybe the joke was on me. Apparently, in the Marvel Universe, there's a character named Phobos, who is already showing signs of having super powers, and he is only 10 years old. If the super heroes keep getting younger and younger, maybe we will get a super hero who is still in diapers.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

It was a long shot, but none of the actors who appeared in the live action version of the film will voice their animated character in the animated series. While the series will not be out till next year, the animated characters have already appeared on "Avengers Assemble." The characters and the voice actors that voice them . . .

Star-lord -- Chris Cox
Gamora -- Nika Futterman
Rocket -- Seth Green
Groot -- Kevin Michael Richardson
Drax -- David Soklov

More news as it becomes available
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.