Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:18 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Altered States (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Altered States (1980)  (Read 3657 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »

What the f**k???????

Yeah, that's it.  That's my whole review of this movie.  Watching this movie is like taking too much DMT.  The only thing you can do is ride it out and hope you can make some sort of sense out of the experience, later.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

I haven't seen this in ages, it is really tweaky. Not as much DMT as Enter The Void (2009) though  Wink

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »

Brought to you by the director of "Lair of the White Worm." The review of which is on this website.

Paddy Chayefsky's last script. Died less than an year after the film was released. Based on Paddy's only novel.

The theatrical film debuts of William Hurt and Drew Barrymore and the acting debut of Evan Richards.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

loved it. enter the Void not so much
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:16:50 AM »

What the f**k???????

Yeah, that's it.  That's my whole review of this movie.  Watching this movie is like taking too much DMT.  The only thing you can do is ride it out and hope you can make some sort of sense out of the experience, later.

I saw this in the theater way back and the WTF comment sums the film up exactly.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »

I was pretty young when Altered States was produced, but I saw what I later came to realize were its effects and influence for years after.  Based loosely, or inspired by, the accounts of John Lilly in flotation tanks and the preceding decades of psychedelic culture,

Although I'd seen the Mad Magazine parody, and heard about Altered States for many years, I never saw it until around 2008.  Immediately I recognized the score, which had been used in a meditation/shamanic journey tape.  The mix of mind-machines, psychedelics and nootropics in the 80's and early 90's was popularized and inspired, I would imagine, by this movie as well.

The movies itself is pretty wacky, and I like to watch it and marvel at the late 70's style presentation of experimental drug culture and consciousness expansion.  Seeing a young and naked Blair Brown isn't too bad, either, although being juxtaposed with William Hurt having a religious acid flashback involving an exploding sheep with seven eyes kind of puts a dampener on it.

I ought to watch this again!  Wish there was a director's cut special edition somewhere.

Edited half a day later to add:

Whoa.  Prompted by this thread, I watched it again in its entirety.  Even though I saw this in 2008, I am surprised at how much I had forgotten.  What a freakin' trippy movie.  Blair Brown even more naked than I remember.  William Hurt also naked, something I didn't remember.  A naked atavistic ape-man climbing up buildings and escaping dogs.  Did I mention naked?  Oyyyy...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:17:51 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »

I liked it a lot when I saw it during its original theatrical release.  Years later, I bought the DVD and thought it was boring and pointless and had a dumb ending.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Altered States (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.