Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:08:23 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SON OF GOD (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SON OF GOD (2014)  (Read 8750 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 09, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »

I finally got around to seeing this film today.

Whenever I watch a Bible based film, I am automatically seeing it from two angles; one as a Bible believing Christian, the other as a movie fan.
Some films bend over backward to remain true to the Scriptures and completely fail as movies (THE GOSPEL OF JOHN), while others try to be great films and throw the Biblical narrative under the bus in the process (I've heard NOAH falls into this category - I know the made-for-TV NOAH'S ARK with John Voigt certainly did!).

The ones we truly remember are the ones that try to remain true to the heart of  the Biblical story while at the same time pouring a great deal of effort and time into making a good film.  The classic example here is THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - lots of extra-Biblical content, but at the same time the original narrative is what drives the film, not vice versa.  More recent examples include THE NATIVITY STORY, ONE NIGHT WITH THE KING, and (I know some may disagree here) THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Then there is this movie.  Trying to condense the four very different narratives of the canonical Gospels into a single film and keep it at reasonable length is a true challenge; scenes are going to be condensed or left out altogether, and not every beloved Bible verse will find its way onto the screen - and the temptation to add lines of dialogue, or subplots that aren't Scriptural in origin, is pretty overwhelming.

All that being said, this film does a pretty good job of presenting the heart of the Gospel narrative about Jesus.  As a Christian, there were a few details that made me cringe a bit - but there were also moments that were truly inspired (the calling of Matthew the tax collector was brilliantly done). There are some scenes that are 0ver-acted, and a couple of casting calls I found questionable, but I can honestly recommend this as a film and as a re-telling of the Bible story.  If you haven't seen it and enjoy a good Bible movie, this one is a must-see.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

My wife and I went to the theater to see it.  I thought it was decent.  A few scenes made me feel really good inside.  Overall, I have yet to see a movie about Jesus that gives me chills as much as THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.  I try to watch that one at least once every year or two.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

I'm midway through a computer animation version of the Book of Revelation. It's pretty insane.
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

I actually preferred the History Channel version of this rather than the whitewash version that omitted the Obama-Satan look alike. Its a good reference to see how the producers want Satan to be portrayed and them using a likeness of Obama  spoke volumes. No need to say anything else really. Its obvious that the black man is being made to look like Satan.

I would actually recommend a wonderful film called Mohammad, Messenger of God with Anthony Quinn. Very well done,

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »

I believe the actor in question was Arabic, not black.  He's been in a lot of films. I don't think Roma Downey is particularly anti-Obama.
I've heard that the Mohammad film was well done.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

Yes, it is very good. The director was killed by a suicide bomber in Jordan ironically enough
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:35:58 AM »

I seem to remember that the film caused a great deal of outrage because ANY depiction of Muhammad is forbidden - even though the movie never showed his face.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:19 AM »

I seem to remember that the film caused a great deal of outrage because ANY depiction of Muhammad is forbidden - even though the movie never showed his face.

I have this film on DVD as The Message - it is very well done indeed and even has a sense of humor, where Hamza (Anthony Quinn) needs to call the faithful to prayer and asks the disciple Bilal (Johnny Sekka) to do it as "you've got a good voice".  TeddyR

I received an odd enquiry about this film a few years ago: the enquiry was from an Islamic group which asked me "You are a film archive in South Africa: we understand that there was a feature film made about the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and that it was made in Africa. Is this correct and if so, do you have this production in your archives?"

My answer was short and sweet: Yes, the film is called Muhammad, Messenger of God / The Message, it was produced and directed by Moustapha Akhad and was filmed in Libya. No, we do not have it in our holdings.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:28:43 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Muhammad isn't depicted they do a POV type shot
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »

Right - I forget where I read the review, but apparently the filmmaker went to great lengths to honor the strictures against portraying Muhammad directly, and he still got a lot of criticism from the devout.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »

Sorry to be irreverent, but I think there should be a film called SON OF DOG.  Don't ask me how it would work or what it would be like, but I would go see it for the title alone.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:12 AM »

Sorry to be irreverent, but I think there should be a film called SON OF DOG.  Don't ask me how it would work or what it would be like, but I would go see it for the title alone.

The sequel could be DAUGHTERS OF TAC.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »

The Book Of Revelation ( Animated Full Movie ) King James Bible Small | Large
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

You can use this video to un-convert Christians.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »

If John Voight's portrayal of Noah didn't shake us, nothing can!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SON OF GOD (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.