Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:17:42 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  June @ 366 Weird Movies: VERTIGO, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, EDGE OF TOMORROW, more! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: June @ 366 Weird Movies: VERTIGO, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, EDGE OF TOMORROW, more!  (Read 9882 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »

Summer's upon us, and at 366 Weird Movies we're heating up the weird with comic book noir, brain aliens, Biblical blockbusters, and electronica-composing cops.

SIN CITY (2005): Certified weird! "A marriage between the mythologies of film noir and violent comics, Sin City‘s bloody tales are set in an abstract urban hellscape inhabited by invulnerable tough guys and rough sexy dames. They play like the lost works of Raymond Chandler’s alternate universe grandson, written to scrape up a few bucks for a bottle of booze while he was down and out in Gotham City."

BRAIN DAMAGE (1988): " Henenlotter’s trademark gore-filled whimsy is on full display here, benefited by his highest budget to date."-JH

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965): "Big budget Hollywood Bible blockbusters are a category that can put shame to the campiest excursions found in low budget horror and sci fi pics."-AE

WRONG COPS (2013): "One strange lesson you’ll take out of Wrong Cops is that American peace officers love European-style techno music."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:45:44 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »

Summer keeps heating up with Epcot heads, rebooted Spidey, sex werewolves, and hallucinating vigilantes.

ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW (2013): Certified Weird! "Anyone who hoped for a harsh slash and burn attack on Disney and its park practices will need to seek satisfaction elsewhere, but those who feel that the satire is too soft and too on the surface are missing the point entirely. Escape from Tomorrow is a comic nightmare of the subconscious..."-LRH

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (2014): "The plethora of chefs here deliver a stale Snickers bar with the guts squeezed out, which is surprising since Amazing Spider-man (2012) at least seemed to be aware of what had gone wrong in Spiderman 3 and went some distance towards correcting the misstep."-AE

THE COMPANY OF WOLVES (1984): "What the viewer gets is a modern retelling of Red Riding Hood with all the sexual connotations not only intact but made explicit for a modern switched-on audience. More than just a straight fantasy and horror, The Company of Wolves is a study of the feminine psyche and its attitudes toward desire and familial responsibility, told through a rich narrative web."-JH

CRAVE (2012): "This movie is trying so hard to be like its big brother Taxi Driver that it’s embarrassing to watch at times; it has a certain grotty charm and good performances, but needs a huge wallop of subtlety."

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »

It's hot, muggy weirdness all summer long with misogynist preachers, zombie pets, Dutch home invasions, and toy bricks.

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955): " An utterly original blend, Night of the Hunter is simultaneously a melodrama, a fairy tale, a film noir, a Southern Gothic, a Biblical parable, and an Expressionist talkie, with a pinch of social realism thrown in." Certified weird!

FIDO (2006): "The presence of the zombie against the backdrop of  white picket fences is a sublime take on a standard horror trope, and the director has a devilishly macabre sense of humor when it comes to the film’s ‘romances’ (which give new meaning to the notion of suburbia as a living death)."-JH

BORGMAN (2013): "Bijvoet’s Borgman is entrancing both because of his extraordinary power over people and his relentless brutality for the sake of an unidentified gain. Only hints are given at the intention behind his and malice, so generalized that it’s ultimately up to the viewer to determine what the true meaning is, if any at all."-RA

THE LEGO MOVIE (2014): "...here in The Lego Movie even Batman is unexpectedly fresh. Even better: amidst all the dazzling effects, the viewer genuinely hopes that two pieces of plastic, Emmett and Wyldstyle, will interlock."-AE

dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:06 AM »

I enjoyed Borgman, but couldn't help but feel like it lacked something to make it truly special.

I guess ultimately it felt it held back a little too much: I would have either liked to see a bit more bizarre killing [the bucket heads are pretty prominent in the trailer but not so much in the movie] or some more elaboration on the somewhat cult-like nature of the Borgman's group.  Also what happened to the guys at the start?  Thumbup

Still a good movie in any case.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »

I enjoyed Borgman, but couldn't help but feel like it lacked something to make it truly special.

I guess ultimately it felt it held back a little too much: I would have either liked to see a bit more bizarre killing [the bucket heads are pretty prominent in the trailer but not so much in the movie] or some more elaboration on the somewhat cult-like nature of the Borgman's group.  Also what happened to the guys at the start?  Thumbup

Still a good movie in any case.

Unfortunately I haven't seen it personally (yet).   Bluesad The guy that wrote the review really liked it, though.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »

The hottest stars are on 366 this week, with Jimmy Stewart's floating head, Johnny Depp's razor digits, Adam Sandler's only good role, and Tom Cruise reborn.

VERTIGO (1958): Certified weird! "...when Scottie embraces [Judy], Hitchcock gives us a 360 tracking shot that takes us out of the hotel room and places us back at the mission; Scottie looks up and appears genuinely surprised at the change in surroundings, but has the focus to return to the kiss. The force of his obsession has blown apart the wall between his dreams and his reality."

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990): "he movie is obviously semi-autobiographical for Burton, with Edward being only one of his many white-faced protagonists–Pee-Wee Herman, Barnabbas Collins, Beetlejuice, etc.–and Edward definitely does not fit in the suburbs, which is the way Burton has always said he felt growing up in Burbank."-SS

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE (2002): ". Too weird to be a mainstream rom-com, too unpredictable and arthouse to please everyone, Paul Thomas Anderson retains his courage for experimenting with film and pulls an actual performance from Sandler."  A reader recommendation.

EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014):"Cruise has securely returned to his torch-carrying, old-fashioned move star mold." -AE

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

One last summery review for June:

SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983): "Through that one last disturbing image, the film transcends its low budget and even lower quality to become a classic oddity among slasher fans."-BS

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  June @ 366 Weird Movies: VERTIGO, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, EDGE OF TOMORROW, more! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.