Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:50:55 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A confession.... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A confession....  (Read 6145 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »

I have as of today (18 June 2014) watched Garth Jennings' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy a grand total of five times.

I have honestly tried to like it - I even cracked a smile now and then - but for me, the experience was just, well, meh. Everything about it screamed big budget and everything about it was very, very well done, except for Mos Def, whose voice I find immensely irritating and Sam Rockwell who really should have stayed with Shredder's gang.

Now: I do want to like it. Could it be that it goes over my head because I haven't read the first book? Help: I need to know where my towel is.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »

Could be you are trying too hard.  One has to roll with the randomness to get the full effect.  I'm pretty sure it must be a matter of taste (or mindset or insanity?): either it 'clicks' for you, or it doesn't.  That is inherent to the material and not a reflection on the viewer.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »

either it 'clicks' for you, or it doesn't. 

The only clicks I heard were my tongue clicking in exasperation and the click of the off button on the remote.  Wink I am open to all kinds of whacky humor: I loved The Goons and other things like that.

I am going to order the first book and see: once I have read it, I will watch the film again and then maybe I might get it.   Smile

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:15:27 AM »

The book is hilarious. Frankly, I was never interested in seeing the movie version because there was no way it could equal or exceed the book.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »

I could tell from the trailer that it just wasn't my style of humor - at all.  Some of those British comedies are hilarious, and some leave me completely cold.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »

The book is hilarious. Frankly, I was never interested in seeing the movie version because there was no way it could equal or exceed the book.

I have a feeling that when I read the book, I will like it better than the film.  Smile

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:22 AM »

Part of the problem with making a film from this book is that often the humor in the book is derived solely from Adams's writing style rather than the material. The movie tried to incorporate some of that, and I give it its proper respect for that, but if you haven't read and loved the book, much of the movie will not make sense and therefore not work for you. I loved the books, and I liked some of the "interpretations" done in the movie, but the book will always be superior to me. The movie worked reasonably well for me as an exercise in bringing some very odd things to the big screen. I enjoyed remembering the book as I watched the movie. But if I had never read the book, like you, I can't imagine making much sense of the movie. And by now, after 5 tries, I can't imagine you ever really liking the movie. Hopefully, your movie experience won't stop you from enjoying the book.  Smile

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »

Part of the problem with making a film from this book is that often the humor in the book is derived solely from Adams's writing style rather than the material. The movie tried to incorporate some of that, and I give it its proper respect for that, but if you haven't read and loved the book, much of the movie will not make sense and therefore not work for you.

The reason I watched it was because of Douglas Adams' hilarious script for the Dr Who series City of Death and I was drawn to his quirky sense of humor, e.g. in the scene where the Doctor orders three glasses of water ("Make them doubles!").  TeddyR

Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »

Part of the problem with making a film from this book is that often the humor in the book is derived solely from Adams's writing style rather than the material. The movie tried to incorporate some of that, and I give it its proper respect for that, but if you haven't read and loved the book, much of the movie will not make sense and therefore not work for you.

The reason I watched it was because of Douglas Adams' hilarious script for the Dr Who series City of Death and I was drawn to his quirky sense of humor, e.g. in the scene where the Doctor orders three glasses of water ("Make them doubles!").  TeddyR
Ah yes...the style.
Adams humor works for me, because I started with the radio plays from the BBC.
Hearing Simon Jones and Goffery McGiven as Arther and Ford set my feel for the characters in amber.
Not to mention Peter Jones, as the Book, showing the only true way to deal with reading such abounding absurdity out loud.
And Doug's way with words works for me; your mileage may very. And I've been known to quote Marvin the Paranoid Android whenever the diodes down the my left side start acting badly.
So the movie...failed for me. Rather like having warm treacle poured down your back while being chased by gibbons.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:41:49 AM by Flangepart » Logged

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

Rather like having warm treacle poured down your back while being chased by gibbons.

That's just another pleasant Wednesday afternoon for me...  Twirling

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

My favorite adaptation of the books is the old BBC Radio 4 series, which was infinitely better than the 2000s movie and a little more complete than the 1981 BBC 2 TV version, which was also endearing. Although maybe I like the radio shows because they remind me of being little and listening to the box set my dad got as a perk for joining an NPR station.  Smile

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »

either it 'clicks' for you, or it doesn't.  That is inherent to the material and not a reflection on the viewer.   Wink

That's the whole enchilada. 
Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean that there's something wrong with the guy or girl watching the movie.  Of course, in this day and age, being "unimpressed" with something and automatically knocking things for the sake of maintaining that image is some sort of new standard for being cool, so there are people who will reject things no matter what, while others will freely form their own natural opinion based on their love or dislike for the material.
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »

either it 'clicks' for you, or it doesn't.  That is inherent to the material and not a reflection on the viewer.   Wink

That's the whole enchilada. 
Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean that there's something wrong with the guy or girl watching the movie.  Of course, in this day and age, being "unimpressed" with something and automatically knocking things for the sake of maintaining that image is some sort of new standard for being cool, so there are people who will reject things no matter what, while others will freely form their own natural opinion based on their love or dislike for the material.
Sadly true. 'your milege may vary' is the wisest way to deal with it. I prefer the radio shows, my friend Wendy (Aka Trillian) prefers the books.
All is well.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Bushma

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »

I'm with you there Trev.  I watched it in the theather because there was NO way I wasn't going to watch it in theather.  I left feeling disappointed.  I think I've watched it once or twice after that.  I like Sam Rockwell, but I don't think he had Zaphod down and I really DIDN'T like the way they did his second head.  I did like Martin Freeman as Dent, I thought that worked well.  Just the movie as a whole was just a let down, maybe after a few drinks it'll be better.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »

The movie only touches on the book umm mediumly....The books I have all read many many times, and while the movie was in the spirit of the books, it wasn't what my mind sees when I read them.
It was a fine show, but not THE version I want in my head
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A confession.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.